• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stoptech Trophy BBK

And, if you happened to buy the zinc coated rotors like I did, I would recommend that you scuff as much of the zinc coating off of the braking surface as possible before installation. The zinc is great to keep corrosion at bay and the rotors looking good. However, it is NOT good for the pads and will hurt their performance. I found this out the hard way....
Weird. I've been dealing with coated rotors for over 20 years and have not run across this problem with zinc chromate plating. Cadmium, for sure, but not zinc. Better make sure you are getting what you are asking for. Cad plating can be hell on pads, but zinc flakes right off every time without issue.

Hey Ediddy!

Good to hear from you. We will have to get together again sometime when we're both in town! :biggrin:

It will be great to see you and mr.crazy maranello again :wink:.....let me know, you know how to get a hold of me.

I would get those brakes cryo'd as they last 3x longer even if you're not tracking them. I had my powerslot rotors & pads cryo'd and they were amazing! :eek:

I did several "panic stops" from 80 mph to 0 and they never faded... this is with axis ultimate pads and powerslot x-drilled & slotted rotors. Never saw any micro fractures either. Pretty amazing. I know some of you will say "oh cryo is only for the track" and that's not always the case.

So they have a curvier body (whoa, that's sexy) but is there any benefit to the Trophy model other saving a pound per corner? I appreciate that one pound in unsprung weight is perhaps reason enough on its own. But with less material, my gut tells me the caliper might flex more and provide worse, rather than better, performance.

Sure. I am in the Redondo Beach/Torrance area. I travel on business a lot so give me some notice when you're headed up.

Shooze,
are the frt and rear calipers the same ST-40 design? if it is, how does the system keep the brake pressure higher in the frt and less in the back? I don't think there is a prop. valve in the OEM system.
Tim

Shooze,
are the frt and rear calipers the same ST-40 design? if it is, how does the system keep the brake pressure higher in the frt and less in the back? I don't think there is a prop. valve in the OEM system.
Tim

I'm guessing they configure different piston diameter specs for the f & R on the Stoptech (check their website), plus the rear has the emergency brake configuration (if you get that model), that's why the rears are a little pricier...

Beautiful, thanks for the pics! :smile: I see you opted for black rotor hats as well :cool:

I will be sure to weigh the oem calipers + brackets against the Stoptech trophy caliper + brackets. However, while I was researching them, I found the following weights online:

Stoptech Regular ST40 caliper: 7.8lbs
Stoptech Trophy ST40 caliper: 6.8lbs
Stoptech Trophy ST40 caliper + brackets: 8.3lbs

I wasn't able to install them the past weekend and am looking to install them this weekend.
Is that the NSX-specific bracket weight?

I would also be interested in the weight of a front caliper & bracket assembly and a rear caliper and bracket assembly weight (since the calipers are different).

-That and the weight of the rotor and hat vs. the stock NSX rotor weight.

Ran into some very stupid mistakes on a straight forward install :frown: I ended up having Niguel Motors install them for me :redface: Thanks Ramon! I will have to weigh the stock calipers and brackets. I wrote down the weights down on the Stoptech and will post them up. I used the bathroom scale so not exactly accurate.

**moved pictures to the first post**

Last edited:
Shooze,
Tim

Tim,

Yes, ST 40 front and rear. However, StopTech maintain the balance by using different piston sizing on the front calipers versus the rear.

So they have a curvier body (whoa, that's sexy) but is there any benefit to the Trophy model other saving a pound per corner? I appreciate that one pound in unsprung weight is perhaps reason enough on its own. But with less material, my gut tells me the caliper might flex more and provide worse, rather than better, performance.

Less weight does not necessarily mean more flex. There are some really freaky light calipers out there that are super stiff!

AP Racing Radi-Cal.jpg

Very nice

What's the offset specs on your CE28n?

Argh! I did this last year and I don't remember. And, unfortunately all my records are currently in storage.

However, Eddie at Mackin Industries knows the offsets needed.

Back