• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Storing the NSX for the winter

I have read through several threads about the topic, but I still had a few questions for you guys more experienced with this:

1) Inflating the tires to 50PSI will prevent flatspotting? For my previous cars, I kept the tires overinflated (to about 45PSI) and periodically I'd roll the car a few feet back and forth every few weeks. Would this be a better solution?

2) I haven't changed my oil since June, but I've put less than 2k miles on the car since then and I used Motul 5W-30 which is a SYN4 and I don't believe will break down over time. Would you guys still recommend an oil change?

3) For rodent problems, can dryer sheets be used in place of traps? I have heard dryer sheets deter pests so I was thinking about stuffing/covering my exhaust tips and other points of entry on the car for protection.

4) I have read that starting and idling the car every few weeks is actually worse for the car than leaving it off for the duration of the winter. Is this true?

5) Is a fuel stabilizer necessary for a car going into storage for 4-5 months? I plan to fully fill the tank to avoid condensation.

Thanks in advance.

now if you really had read some of our past threads you would have enough info to make your own decision...:tongue:

"IMO........and from what I have learnt or do (or recently heard) you do not have to inflate the tires due to the quality of the rubber these days, but I would park on some wood or carpet. If your oil is clean there is no reason to change it (I never do for my cars or bikes) over the winter and when it's due date is up, then change it. I've heard about putting Bounce in all the areas ie truck, cabin and also blocking the exhaust tips - can't hurt, but rodents can do damage ad it seems to work.........DON'T start the car, it does perfectly well sleeping over the winter. Starting it only produces condensation and does nothing and is more harmful, no different then driving a car in stop/go or short trips all the time. Just leave it and put a Battery Tender on all winter. I put stabilizer in all my tanks, but apparently with today's fuel quality some say you don't have to as it won't breakdown as rapidly.

I put my car up on jack stands, some say it does harm to the suspension but after 14 yrs of driving the crap out of it on and off track, it's as tight as can be and no issues.

There are a ton of what to do and how to do it scenarios and do what you feel comfortable doing. We can get as details in our storage plans as we want to, it's neither wrong or right, so take everyone's comments and aply them to YOU.

All I do is top off the fuel tank and disconnect the battery. I've done both battery tender and disconnecting the battery with the same result. I just don't like the car connected to something when it won't be used for 6 months. I purchased a quick terminal disconnect this year and put my battery tender on the hot end of the quick disconnect. This way I can top off the battery mid winter, and the car remains in hibernation.

I like my car to be with it's security system, so leave use the tender..........you can get what Roger mentions or actual Battery Tender ( I use Battery Tender Junior)...........any will work

Back