• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Strange Electrical Problem...Need Help!

I took my '96 NSX-T to Don at Hilltop yesterday.

I needed his help to diagnose some electrical problems I am experiencing. Here are the problems:

1) Interior dome and courtesy lights are not functioning.
2) Interior chime (for lights left on, etc...) is no longer sounding.
3) Intermittent wipers are not functioning, however, regular speed and high speed wipers work.
4) Integrated phone no longer powers up.
5) Trunk light does not work.
6) Power antenna is not working.
7) Fuse #34 keeps blowing.

I initially thought that this was caused when I installed the factory CD changer. I made the installation without disconnecting the battery or pulling the "main" fuse.

Don tested the #34 with a circuit breaker. We disconnected the changer and nothing happened (the circuit breaker tripped).

Don disconnected the power antenna, and the breaker still tripped.

Don thinks that it maybe the Integrated Control Unit. He wants to spend a day with it and pull out the ICU.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Please let me know.

When you have electrical problems on different circuits, the porblem is most likely a bad ground. I had a similar problem with my wipers, headlights, antenna, radio, a/c, and windows. It ended up that I had a bad main gound. The two main grounds are located in the front of the car and bolted to the passenger side wheelwell slightly below the fuse block.

Heres what to do:
Disconnect the battery and then unbolt the two main grounds. Scrub them and the contact points on the fender with steel wool. I doubt that you have an ICU problem because of the multiple, independent electrical systems that are acting up.

Back