• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Street Racing KILLS - Temple City, CA.

I am furious and sadden at the same time.

cbs2.com said:
Girl, 17, Denies Charges In Pursuit, Deadly Crash
LOS ANGELES (CBS) ― A teenage girl accused of racing another driver and then leading San Gabriel police on a high-speed chase that ended with a 19-year-old woman's death denied vehicular manslaughter and other charges Wednesday.

The 17-year-old Rosemead girl was released, over the prosecution's objection, to her parents' custody and ordered not to drive, according to Shiara Davila of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.

The teen, whose name is not being released because of her age, had been detained at Eastlake Juvenile Hall.

She is accused of racing a white Ford Focus against another driver in a black Scion, then accelerating to about 80 mph as a San Gabriel police officer tried to stop the two cars just before 12:15 a.m. Sunday.

The teen allegedly ran a red light at the intersection of Las Tunas Drive and Rosemead Boulevard and broadsided a Lexus ES300 driven by Angela My Chung, who died of severe head trauma and internal injuries, police said.

The occupants of two other cars hit as a result of the collision suffered minor injuries, according to investigators.

Along with vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, the girl is accused in a Juvenile Court petition of one felony count each of evading an officer causing death, evading an officer causing injury, and reckless driving causing specified injury.

She also faces a misdemeanor count of speed contest causing injury. The teen is due back in Eastlake Juvenile Court for another hearing on Jan. 15.

(© 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

News Link 1

News Link 2

Well I wouldn't say Street Racing was the cause of the death. Her running from the cops is what led to her running the red light and killing that innocent woman. Very sad to hear such a young girl die because of someone else's stupidity though.

Flight from Police was the cause.

Actually stupidity was the cause that made her run from the police. Hope she gets locked away in a room and key along with the room get thrown away.

Street racing had nothing to do with her death.

Flight from Police was the cause.

Very misleading title.

Because she wouldn't have run if she was following the law and not racing right? Maybe it was the thought of having her car crushed made her run from the cops?

To say street racing had nothing to do with it is just plain ignorant.

Next we are going to blame the lady that died for not paying attention and avoiding to the teen running the red light. Who knows, maybe the lady that died was on her cell phone and if she wasn't she might have noticed the teen before died. I say let's blame cell phones.

Weren't you the same person that was defending someone else's street racing video?

And Flight from the police wasn't the cause.

The cause was street racing.

The effect was being chased by the police.

The result is an innocent person dieing.

Last edited:
Smoking didn't kill my good friend's father, it was the throat cancer he got as a result of smoking that did.

Smoking didn't kill my father, it was his broken down immune system that let him die from pneumonia that resulted from his smoking that killed my father.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, even though it was a bullet that went through the person's heart

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop that does.

Dale Earnhart didn't die from racing, it was the crash while he was racing that put the wheels of death in motion.

So the act of street racing didn't kill. It was what set the wheels in motion. Title sounds good enough to me.

Or how about this for the title, High Speed police chase kills 19 year old student?

Or, 19 year old student killed by red light runner.

Or 19 year old student killed in impact from car accident

The title is fine, the situation starts with street racing, ended with death. If the girl was out selling girl scout cookies with her little sister, it'd highly doubtful she'd be running from the cops.

I don't care how you title the thread... the end result is just sad.

DL's should be issued at 18 and over, not 16... Although I guess if you have an idiot behind the wheel, age doesn't really matter.

Because she wouldn't have run if she was following the law and not racing right? Maybe it was the thought of having her car crushed made her run from the cops?

To say street racing had nothing to do with it is just plain ignorant.

Next we are going to blame the lady that died for not paying attention and avoiding to the teen running the red light. Who knows, maybe the lady that died was on her cell phone and if she wasn't she might have noticed the teen before died. I say let's blame cell phones.

Weren't you the same person that was defending someone else's street racing video?

And Flight from the police wasn't the cause.

The cause was street racing.

The effect was being chased by the police.

The result is an innocent person dieing.

well said.

Smoking didn't kill my good friend's father, it was the throat cancer he got as a result of smoking that did.

Smoking didn't kill my father, it was his broken down immune system that let him die from pneumonia that resulted from his smoking that killed my father.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, even though it was a bullet that went through the person's heart

Speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop that does.

Dale Earnhart didn't die from racing, it was the crash while he was racing that put the wheels of death in motion.

So the act of street racing didn't kill. It was what set the wheels in motion. Title sounds good enough to me.

Or how about this for the title, High Speed police chase kills 19 year old student?

Or, 19 year old student killed by red light runner.

Or 19 year old student killed in impact from car accident

The title is fine, the situation starts with street racing, ended with death. If the girl was out selling girl scout cookies with her little sister, it'd highly doubtful she'd be running from the cops.

well said.

toss the girl in jail. let her think about her stupidity while she is confinement.

P.S. I can almost guarantee someone is going to say "everyone makes mistakes, she is young, give her another chance.". Sure, I'll give her another chance, just one condition. bring back Angela My Chung. Deal?

This is the reason why some nations are not allowing high speed pursuit, unless its serious.
For most cases, high speed pursuits are unnecessary. Once you've got an ID on the driver (camera pics and plate #s), there's no reason to continue the pursuit, unless it's a fleeing murderer or armed robber. Back off, run the plates, and then go by the perp's house in a day or two to pick them up.

I read this a few days ago....very sad.

Once you've got an ID on the driver (camera pics and plate #s)

Good point, and yes they try that from time to time but anytime someone suggests adding more camera's you get just as many people crying we dont need big brother and cry about right to privacy blah blah. So we have nothing and unless they chase; these people will have a very good chance of getting away.

So we have nothing and unless they chase; these people will have a very good chance of getting away.
Let them get away. It's just not worth the risk for an expired registration or broken taillight.

If the cops have a reason to believe the driver is a serious criminal, and a threat to society, then go get 'em. But for a minor traffic stop where the driver takes off, get the plates to track down the car, but don't pursue.

When I was an officer it was POLICY that we did not pursue for minor or even misdemeanor infractions! Only if it was a FELONY stop, and we had a positive ID on the driver... AND if it got too dangerous (i.e. 70mph down residential streets, 100+mph on the highway, or just plain SERIOUS dangerous driving) the officer could make the call to end the pursuit. Having said that... from the article it soesn't sound like the officer even had the chance to call it off. Even if he did have the chance... it's likely that he wouldn't have.

Sad, sad story... and VERY unfortunate. I'm not going to say I have never street raced, and hardly ever do or have (as a matter of fact the last time I did was over a year ago, on a highway). But this is a clear case of someone who should not have even been behind the wheel, much less have a drivers license. :redface:

Back