• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Police grab $2 million worth of cars after Canadian street race

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/0...f-cars-after-canadian-street-race/?&hpt=hp_c2

This could be the plot for a movie, "Fast and Furious Canada," or maybe "Fast and Furious, the Young and the Rich."

Police in British Columbia say they impounded $2 million worth of high-end vehicles this week after witnesses reported the 13 cars racing on a metro Vancouver highway at speeds of 125 mph (200 kph).

The high-end race cars included a Ferrari, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, an Audi, an Aston Martin, Nissans and a Mercedes, according to a Royal Canadian Mounted Police press release.

Two of the racers would run side-by-side to block other traffic going in their direction on the highway while the others cars would take off in a race, witnesses told the RCMP.

"These drivers seemed to be looking for attention. Well, they definitely got the attention of police," Cpl. Holly Marks, spokesperson for the Lower Mainland District Regional Police Service, said in the press release.

What the racers, who police said are all under age 21, won't get is harsh punishment.

"Each driver will be charged with Driving without Reasonable Consideration and receive a violation ticket with a specified penalty of $196. Additionally, these drivers will be responsible for all associated towing and storage charges," according to the RCMP press release.

That's because police didn't actually catch them in the act and acted only on witness accounts. They weren't caught on radar, video or seen by a police officer, Superintendent Norm Gaumont, RCMP officer in charge of traffic enforcement for the Lower Mainland, told the Surrey Now newspaper.

"I know there's a lot of disappointment, wondering why we only charged them with an offence of $196. They fact of the matter is, we have to look at all the evidence we have and what we're able to prove," Surrey Now quoted Gaumont as saying. "That's why we've charged them with driving without due consideration for the public."

If police were able to charge the 13 drivers with more severe offenses, they could have faced forfeiture of their vehicles, according to a Vancouver Sun report.

The RCMP said most of the drivers were operating their vehicles on "N" class licenses, which means they had not yet attained full driving privileges. Only one of the drivers was the registered owner of the car they were driving, Gaumont told Surrey Now.

The drivers included 12 men and one woman, according to Surrey Now. Gaumont told the paper they were on their way to have a meal when they decided to race.

According to the Sun, the vehicles were:

2007 Ferrari 599
2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo
2009 Audi R8
2012 Nissan GT-R
2010 Nissan GT-R
2010 Nissan GT-R
2010 Maserati Turismo
2010 Maserati Turismo
2011 Mercedes SL63
2011 Mercedes SLS
2005 Aston Martin DB9

"These drivers seemed to be looking for attention. Well, they definitely got the attention of police," Cpl. Holly Marks, spokesperson for the Lower Mainland District Regional Police Service, said in the press release.

What the racers, who police said are all under age 21, won't get is harsh punishment.

All under 21 years old...must be nice

NSX drivers are more mature than that.:wink:

No people that earn their money and buy their own carsvarevmore mature. How the he'll did that many parents buy their kids high end sports cars like those.

Nice. I can see the kids talking to their parents now;

"Moooom! I got pulled over for street racing today in my 2010 GTR."

"What!? Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost your father?!"

"$196.00"

"Oh, take that from my purse and I hope you've learned your lesson."

"Yes mom."

:biggrin:

Nice. I can see the kids talking to their parents now;

"Moooom! I got pulled over for street racing today in my 2010 GTR."

"What!? Do you have any idea how much this is going to cost your father?!"

"$196.00"

"Oh, take that from my purse and I hope you've learned your lesson."

"Yes mom."

No people that earn their money and buy their own carsvarevmore mature. How the he'll did that many parents buy their kids high end sports cars like those.

Unfortunately, in Vancouver the real estate market is still hot as lava. EVERY SINGLE property will cost you upwards of $1mil (even the old falling apart houses). Those kids are all from the same very prestigous private high school which costs an arm and a leg of tuition, and the properties around that area are all around the $2mil price range. Leads to the conclusion that if you wanted to afford those area, you must be either very very very successful, or in this case, very wealthy immigrants (one of the reasons why our real estate prices never falls because we have a LOT of new wealthy immigrants looking for ANY property).

To sum it up, if any of you have every visited vancouver area, you'll know that out of every 10 cars on the street, more than half of those will be more premium brands such as mb, bmw, infiniti, acura etc. AND almost ALL supercars, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Maseratis, Astons, Lotuses, Porches etc are ALL driven by youngsters or New drivers. =D Lots of lucky kids in Vancouver!!

i don't follow how the title of the article has anything to do with the article. The cops didn't keep a single car. they wrote $200 tickets to the drivers, and they will also have to pay a couple hundred bucks in impound fees (unlikely to be a problem if you have a gallardo)
It's like having a headline screaming

President Obama hit IN THE HEAD with shell fragment after explosion in Iraq

further reading reveals "President Obama, while visiting a mess tent in Iraq, was hit in the eye by a small peice of egg shell after a water line 2 blocks away explodes, startling the chef, who accidentally dropped the egg on the president's plate. A peice of egg shell gave him a corneal abrasion, but a full recovery is expected"

Last edited:
Unfortunately, in Vancouver the real estate market is still hot as lava. EVERY SINGLE property will cost you upwards of $1mil (even the old falling apart houses). Those kids are all from the same very prestigous private high school which costs an arm and a leg of tuition, and the properties around that area are all around the $2mil price range. Leads to the conclusion that if you wanted to afford those area, you must be either very very very successful, or in this case, very wealthy immigrants (one of the reasons why our real estate prices never falls because we have a LOT of new wealthy immigrants looking for ANY property).

To sum it up, if any of you have every visited vancouver area, you'll know that out of every 10 cars on the street, more than half of those will be more premium brands such as mb, bmw, infiniti, acura etc. AND almost ALL supercars, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Maseratis, Astons, Lotuses, Porches etc are ALL driven by youngsters or New drivers. =D Lots of lucky kids in Vancouver!!

Yep. Out of all those cars the 599 is really the only one that stands out. The rest are typical Vancouver cars you'd expect to see in that area. Gotta love seeing those green Ns on the back of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Oh come on - my house is only worth 300K at best... the garage is worth more.

5654940001_large.jpg

I will bet most of those kids are Asian immigrants from Hong Kong. Those folks are loaded !!

lol...you got that right. More than loaded. I bet these spoiled kids are from HK, China, Taiwan and they can't do this back home and blog about it.
Their wealthy parents will get them off record and they will become doctors and lawyers one day and brag about their youth:biggrin: It sucks not to have money.

Back