• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sucky NSX Advertising by Acura

I saw a great Honda ad for the new Civic on TV this weekend while I was in VA. A guy pours some hot sauce on the roof of a normal one and turns it into a racey red one. I thought it was good.......

lemansnsx,

...."The Economist"!!!! How....Unbelievable! This just supports my view.

I respectfully disagree that I'm looking in the wrong place, and you must be kidding!

I (we) do look forward to seeing the good NSX ad you found there, but EXCUSE ME if I never even heard of "The Economist" before!

If you just look at the circulation numbers on "The Economist" and compare them with those of "Road and Track," "Car and Driver," or "Motortrend," the latter three of which have used the goofy curvy road ad, you'll agree that Acura's NSX ad campaign is misplaced.

In fact, we all look over the latter magazines purchased by potential buyers of high quality performance machines like the BMW, Audi, NSX, etc.

Maybe they also put that ad in Architectual Digest, but so what?

In fact, the ads have an 1-888 number, and I think I'll call them and say so...

rant, rant.....rant, rant....rant...

Now I feel better....

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Actually, the demographic for The Economist is probably about right for potential new NSX purchasers, where the median household income used to be on the order of $250K/year (but has no doubt crept up since).

--twc

P.S. LemansNSX, how'd you like the survey of modern physics they did several weeks ago? Good stuff!

Originally posted by NSXY:
lemansnsx,
...."The Economist"!!!! How....Unbelievable! This just supports my view.
I respectfully disagree that I'm looking in the wrong place, and you must be kidding!
I (we) do look forward to seeing the good NSX ad you found there, but EXCUSE ME if I never even heard of "The Economist" before!

If you just look at the circulation numbers on "The Economist" and compare them with those of "Road and Track," "Car and Driver," or "Motortrend," the latter three of which have used the goofy curvy road ad, you'll agree that Acura's NSX ad campaign is misplaced.

Well, apparently, Acura must disagree with you about which magazines have the best return for advertising the NSX... perhaps potential NSX buyers are not "Car & Drivel" readers?

As for "The Economist" they have a world-wide circulation of approx. 838,000 copies as of last year, their average reader age is approx 44 with 32% of US readers reporting a personal income between $100-250K and a further 15% above that. Another 30% are between $50-100K.
Now, you go look up the numbers for "C&D", "R&T", etc. and see how all the high schoolers skew their numbers and we'll have the basis for an intelligent discussion of where Acura should be spending their advertising budget.
wink.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

lemansnsx et al.,

Re subscription actuaries, I hear you! Excellent points re income, etc.! Maybe I overstated my magazine advertising case, out of frustration. However, I must return to the bottom line question "Why are so few NSX's being sold now?"

Is it because it’s Ford Econoline-unreliable (my Ford-owning brother says "Ford" spelled backwards stands for "driver returns on Foot")? ...No.

Is it because it's Pontiac Aztec-butt ugly? ...No.

Is it because it's too Ferrari-expensive? ...No.

Is it because it's got Chrysler Newport land yacht handling? ...No.

Is it because it's VW beetle-prolific? ...No.

Is it because it's Lamborghini Diablo-gas hungry? ...No.

In fact, the NSX is reliable, beautiful, under priced, not overly produced and economically operated. THus, it would seem that Acura couldn’t loose with this product. But Acura started in 1990 with several thousand NSX's sold per year in the U.S., which has gradually decreased over the past 12 years to <300/year. So what’s missing? What went wrong?

IMO, several little things have added up to an Acura marketing flop. Problems include Acura's slow progress towards creating its own marquee value. Also, the Acura badge on the nose looks ordinary. In fact, Honda's creation of its Acura "A" emblem involved a simple hinging the uprights of the Honda "H” to look like an "A", which is cute, but doesn't cut it for use on an "exotic" car.

Next, the NSX has no unique and interesting badge to distinguish it from other Acura models. Yes, it has three unique letters (NSX), but it’s obviously not enough. Even the butt-ugly Peugeot wagon has an eye-catching badge!

IMO, one way or another, Acura has not created and delivered an exciting “message” for the NSX! Most people will not buy such an expensive and unnecessary transportation toy unless they've become emotionally involved in the purchase through certain concepts, including a combination of prestige, exclusivity, high quality, high performance, beauty, value retention, collectability, etc. Because several of these are intangible attributes not automatically associated with a car, they must be CREATED by the seller through a carefully orchestrated, dynamic courtship of the buyer. Just as with the infatuation of a new interpersonal relationship based on appearance alone, potential buyers need to be attracted to and fall in love with the NSX. So where's the seller’s courtship of the buyer in Acura’s advertisement that doesn’t show the beauty of the car?

And today after talking at length about these things with one of Acura’s Client Services people (1-800-382-2238) in Torrance, CA , I learned from this guy that their advertising strategy is very “Japanese” and not “American” (his words). I was told that their corporate Japanese culture prefers a “don’t show the exclusive car approach”, for some reason that even he didn’t understand. He said they are maybe expecting sales up around 500/year after the 8 cylinder is introduced in the next two years, but that’s all. I think this number projection is unrealistic, because the price will have to increase too.

In any case, maybe nothing can be done from this side of the Pacific, and it’s just a very conservative cultural thing not likely to change quickly. But because I’m not easily willing to accept such a rationale, I offered up NSX Prime as a place where Acura’s marketing people might contact true NSX enthusiasts and learn more about what makes NSX buyers tick.

So I wore myself out, and my rant is over, for now... I think I need to go for a good drive...

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Personally I think BMW and Audi have some of the finest TV commercials and advertising themes.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 07 March 2002).]

NSXY,
Agree with most of what you said, disappointed to hear about the conversation with the CS person. Perhaps you should send them a copy of Longinotti-Buitoni's book on marketing?
0684850192.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Selling Dreams : How to Make Any Product Irresistible

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 07 March 2002).]

I don't know if anyone remembers these, but Acura had a couple of pretty good ads for the NSX in 91-92. The ads used Honda's involment in F-1 and the fact that they had won the championship. They would show Ayrton Senna or Gerhard Berger driving the McLaren and then cut to the NSX. Another showed an engineers desk with blue prints and the sound of a F-1 engine zooming by blowing the papers off the desk. Not too bad. But I agree, Honda/Acura need to get the ball rolling on their advertising!

[This message has been edited by Blackhorse6 (edited 08 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Blackhorse6 (edited 08 March 2002).]

I know someone who has those commercials on video (ask me how I know
wink.gif
) and has the ability to post them on NSXprime...
biggrin.gif

Here is the two-page NSX ad that ran in "The Economist". The mirror has the usual blurb about objects in mirror and the caption in the main area of the ad reads "What Objects?".

economist.jpg

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 12 March 2002).]

That 3/4 view "The Economist" ad is better than the "twisty road" ad not using the car at all. And the rear view mirror adds some interest.

However, I have a good deal of experience in photography, and IMO that photo of a "parked NSX" is just plain ordinary! It does not stir the soul like a moving NSX would. And they used a lens that creates some mild distortion and exaggerates the dimensions of the nose, so it looks like a wild-eyed bug.

Just compare the "excitement" elicited by this 2-page photo with any of the NSX avatars on this thread or elsewhere in this website. Any of these avatar NSX photos shows a more photogenic and aggressive view of the NSX than this photo. I don't know who the photographer was on the avatar I chose, but it's way more exciting. Even the relatively simple avatar of the silver NSX reveals it's truly luscious shape in profile.

Jeez, again, what a waste of money...and WHERES THE EXCITEMENT ACURA? The car is shaped to MOVE!!!!

------------------
NSXY

Originally posted by NSXY:
Jeez, again, what a waste of money...and WHERES THE EXCITEMENT ACURA? The car is shaped to MOVE!!!!

I think if you were to read the book referenced above you would see just how clueless Honda have been with this car almost from the beginning. The excitement fizzled a long time ago and they've done nothing with what was supposed to be a flagship product. Maybe it's a cultural thing but, IMO, they missed the boat big time. The NSX boils down to a "head" purchase not a "heart" purchase and that's wrong for this type of car to be hugely successful.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

"Even the relatively simple avatar of the silver NSX reveals it's truly luscious shape in profile."

I agree!
biggrin.gif
That avatar is AWESOME (see 3cm on the left!
wink.gif
)... problem is that this NSX is not the facelifted one but a beautiful sebring silver (not offered anymore
frown.gif
), lowered and with painted roof... the owner should be an artist!
wink.gif

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
Here is the two-page NSX ad that ran in "The Economist". The mirror has the usual blurb about objects in mirror and the caption in the main area of the ad reads "What Objects?".

That ad also appears on the inside cover of the new (March 18) AutoWeek.

I give them credit for at least spending money to advertise the car.

And I think this ad is actually rather clever.

Saw a Honda TV commercial last night where they were highlighting *all* the Honda products to the theme of, "and you thought we only made cars..."

There was a shot where a garage opens up and there was a brief glimpse of a red NSX. I couldn't believe my eyes that I actually saw an NSX on TV, even though it was so brief. I will bet most of the nation did not even catch what it was.

We all know the NSX is a Honda, but it was still interesting to see an Acura in a Honda commercial in this country.

Interesting how The Economist ad shows the NSX at (just) such an angle that the headlights look flush with the body. If that isn't admitting that they are indeed a bit odd the way they bubble up over the bodyline...

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
Saw a Honda TV commercial last night where they were highlighting *all* the Honda products to the theme of, "and you thought we only made cars..."

That commercial has been used for at least a couple of years now.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

- Brock Yates

Acura Launches 'The Perfect Drive' Campaign

Torrance, CA 04/15/2002 -- Acura will launch a multifaceted promotion in April called "The Perfect Drive" designed to stimulate interest in its three luxury performance coupes, the NSX, CL Type-S and RSX Type-S. The promotion is aimed at coupe customers and features partnerships with prominent media properties including Conde¢ Nast Traveler, Entertainment Weekly and Speed Channel.
"The strategy behind the promotion is simple," said Rob Alen, Acura's manager of national advertising. "Draw attention to our line of high performance coupes by showcasing them in media venues where our target audience will see them."

The promotion features four parts. First, Acura will sponsor Conde¢ Nast Traveler magazine's 24-page special supplement, "Great Drives in America," to be distributed with subscriber copies of the magazine's May 2002 "Hot List" issue. The supplement will feature eleven picturesque North American roads and advertisements for both the 3.2 CL Type-S and the NSX.

For the second portion of the promotion, Acura will partner with Entertainment Weekly magazine to create an integrated program linking the Acura coupes to beautiful

driving destinations and great music. As the highlight of this program, the April 26th issue of Entertainment Weekly will include a four-page advertorial chronicling an RSX Type-S on a road trip to the Acura-sponsored New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.

The third leg of the promotion features a 30-minute segment on the Speed Channel motorsports cable network that gives an in-depth look at the three Acura coupes - both on and off the racetrack. The piece will explore the cars' unique performance capabilities while cruising the scenic California coast near Monterey and climax with professional drivers strafing corners at the legendary Laguna Seca Raceway. The program will air seven times during May and June and will be co-hosted by former Trans Am champion Tommy Kendall, Road and Track editor Jim Hall and Speed World Challenge Champion Peter Cunningham.

For the fourth part of the promotion, Acura will launch a micro site within the acura.com Web site on April 22nd. The acura.com\perfectdrive site will contain a program overview, links, downloads, and supplemental content from additional media partners. The Web site will be divided into the following five sections:

Experience - This section will offer details of the Speed Channel program and include promotional and highlight videos.

Drive - This part of the promotion will feature the Conde¢ Nast Traveler partnership. It will offer descriptions of each of the drives featured in the "Great Drives in America" supplement and a "Great Drives" sweepstakes giving visitors a chance to win an expenses-paid vacation for two to one of the "Great Drives" destinations.

Listen - This section will focus on Entertainment Weekly's coverage of the RSX

Type-S road trip to New Orleans. It will include an itinerary of sites visited by the RSX Type-S, as well as a MapQuest map of each location. Visitors will also be able to download a Winamp player and an Acura "The Perfect Drive" Winamp skin.

Explore - This section will feature a link to the U.S. Department of Transportation's America's Byways program, which is designed to preserve and promote America's scenic and historic roads. Users can follow the link to the America's Byways site and obtain a free map of many of these roads.

Dine - In this section, users can download a special, free PDA-downloadable version of the Zagat Survey restaurant review guide.

In support of the promotion, Acura dealers will receive a customized dealer kit, as well as copies of promotion components including the Conde¢ Nast Traveler supplement and the Speed Channel program.

For more information about Acura vehicles, please visit www.acura.com. For media information, please go to www.acuranews.com.
http://www.hondanews.com/

Originally posted by MAJOR STONER:
For the fourth part of the promotion, Acura will launch a micro site within the acura.com Web site on April 22nd. The acura.com\perfectdrive site will contain a program overview, links, downloads, and supplemental content from additional media partners.

It's up and running.

Here are the dates for the test drive shows.

Saturday, May 11, 2002 Central Time Eastern Time Mountain Time Pacific Time

5:30 pm
Acura Test Drive

Tuesday, May 14, 2002

4:00 pm
Acura Test Drive

Sunday, May 19, 2002

10:00 pm
Acura Test Drive

3:00 am
Acura Test Drive

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Just bumping this to the top, since the first broadcast of the Acura Test Drive show is today (Saturday) at 5:30 pm Central Daylight Time.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Just bumping this to the top, since the first broadcast of the Acura Test Drive show is today (Saturday) at 5:30 pm Central Daylight Time.

Damn. Turns out it was 5:30 pm Eastern Time...

Back