• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suggestions for scenic travel itinerary - Vancouver Canada to St George Utah & back

Suggestions for scenic travel itinerary - Vancouver Canada to St George Utah & back

Well I am planning on surprising my brother by attending a notable birthday dinner put on by his golfing buddies in Utah. My expectation is to take 2 days in each direction to cover the roughly 1400 miles each way. Despite the fact that I will probably need to average about 10 hours per day, I am not thinking of driving exclusively on the major throughways. I am hopeful that Prime members might be able to provide input on those particular roads that I should experience both from an aggressive driving and scenic perspective. I also would prefer not to retrace my exact route on the return leg especially if there are really other notable scenic options to experience.
At first blush, my general route would be:
Vancouver - Everett (hwy 5) - Yakima (hwy 2/97/82) - Twin Falls (Hwy 84) - St George Utah (Hwy 93/319/56/18)

My planned departure is mid next week.

In general, I think it would be great if we could somehow accumulate by region an inventory of recommended scenic road trips in North America.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I did a drive from Ogden to Seattle years ago. From Ogden to Boise then into Oregon crossing from The Dalles into Washington in the tri cities area and then to I-90 to Seattle. Not super scenic other than a lot of roads and some spectacular views along the Columbia river. I did that drive in 1 day moving to Wa. Over two day so e could visit wineries in the tri cities etc.

FWIW (and this may take you further east than you want to be) I did a bicycle trip years ago a big part of which was on UT 12 -- amazing road -- google it and see what pops up. Scenery is just other-worldly.

Best,
Jeff

UT 12 is exactly the type of road I was hoping to explore. It is not too far from where I will be staying and seems to overlap Bryce Canyon. I'll definately put it on my radar.
Thanks
Marc

As long as you're in southern Utah, try and squeeze in a trip to Zion National Park as well. (Mid-week, for lighter traffic). There's a neat 1.1 mile tunnel in the park called the Mount Carmel Tunnel that's fun to drive through. Plus, the scenery and hikes can't be beat. Try Angel's Landing for a cardio workout if you're okay with heights. Jealous of your upcoming trip! Take plenty of pics along the way!

Back