• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Suspension question..

I recently dumped my 18/19 setup and went back to the oem 15/16 old school 5 stars. My 18/19s were trashed from the potholes in the city and I want to track the car with the oem setup. Amazingly it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.:tongue:

The shocks on the car are oem, meaning that they are 17yrs old and toast (123k). I have the bilstein HDs in hand and ready to install with the stock springs.

My question/concern: When I switched to the 15/16 setup a couple days ago, the car became A LOT lower. I can still make it over speed bumps, ramps, etc., but I'm worried about the new shocks.

I have the wings west skirts and front lips. If I install on the lower perch, will I be scraping? I'm thinking that the car may be sagging a little now due to the age of the oem shocks. By that rationale, I'm 'anticipating' that the new shocks on the lower perch (7/8ths) drop from oem will be stiffer (because new) and not sag as much, making it about the height it is now, which I like.

I did search, but it's hard to find people running the oem wheel setup:wink:

Thoughts?

Thanks Primers,

Paul

Attachments

• stockrims.jpg
    stockrims.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
I recently dumped my 18/19 setup and went back to the oem 15/16 old school 5 stars. My 18/19s were trashed from the potholes in the city and I want to track the car with the oem setup. Amazingly it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would.:tongue:

The shocks on the car are oem, meaning that they are 17yrs old and toast (123k). I have the bilstein HDs in hand and ready to install with the stock springs.

My question/concern: When I switched to the 15/16 setup a couple days ago, the car became A LOT lower. I can still make it over speed bumps, ramps, etc., but I'm worried about the new shocks.

I have the wings west skirts and front lips. If I install on the lower perch, will I be scraping? I'm thinking that the car may be sagging a little now due to the age of the oem shocks. By that rationale, I'm 'anticipating' that the new shocks on the lower perch (7/8ths) drop from oem will be stiffer (because new) and not sag as much, making it about the height it is now, which I like.

I did search, but it's hard to find people running the oem wheel setup:wink:

Thoughts?

Thanks Primers,

Paul

I can't tell based on that pic what your wheel gap looks like but if you are in fact running OEM shocks and you install the Bilsteins on the lower perch then you will indeed drop another 7/8"--probably not what you want.

I doubt very much your car is sagging as that has to do with the springs and the OEM springs are very good quality and don't typically sag.

Why not just use the higher perch on the Bilsteins? Once the OEM shocks are removed your mechanic should be able to tell how much the Bilsteins will lower (or not) by comparing them side-by-side.

Is is possible you're running AM springs and don't know it?

Good points... I'll need to figure out if the shocks/springs are oem. They are both black/grey/dirty in color which means nothing at this point. The previous owner stated that the car was on the original suspension, but he wasn't the original owner.

Here is a link with better pics of what the car looked like with the 18/19 setup. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74331

I'll need to determine if the spring/shock combo is oem or AM. I'm scheduled to do the install tomorrow morning:eek:

Thanks

Good points... I'll need to figure out if the shocks/springs are oem. They are both black/grey/dirty in color which means nothing at this point. The previous owner stated that the car was on the original suspension, but he wasn't the original owner.

Here is a link with better pics of what the car looked like with the 18/19 setup. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74331

I'll need to determine if the spring/shock combo is oem or AM. I'm scheduled to do the install tomorrow morning:eek:

Thanks

Yes, determining what setup you are running is critical. If it's not OEM all bets are off. If you can't determine the origin of the springs I would replace them. They could be crap. Either the OEM springs or the Dali progressive on the Bilstein high perch (1.25" drop) sounds right for you.

Back