• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

suspension: self-install or pay?

All,

New to the site and ownership. I've begun upgrading some stuff; just BPU. I'm at the point where I'm going to do the suspension. I've taken delivery of a Tein Flex suspension with the EDFC. I've installed aftermarket springs/struts/shocks on a few different vehicles: Civics, Eclipses, Mazdas... but I've read in the forums about difficulty removing the stock strut/spring assembly. People bending pry bars to move the suspension down for clearance and such.

My question is: is this something I should take on myself? Would anyone who's done an install before like to help out if I decide to do the install myself?

Also, for those of you with adjustable suspensions, which do you find you're adjusting more often: the lower spring perch or the lower strut collar (or whatever it's called)?

J

yeah, spartan is lazy. i vote for DIY, u can get to know your car really well. can't be that bad, it's a honda, it's over engineered and well thought (too well done maybe). btw, how much did u get your Tein for? and where did u order it from? i wanna upgrade my suspension and clutch soon too.

I'd get Don to do it, too -- because I want it done right. I know if I did it I'd screw it up somehow.

So there's your answer: if you trust in your own mechanical aptitude, DIY. Otherwise, pay.

randomharmony said:
yeah, spartan is lazy. i vote for DIY, u can get to know your car really well. can't be that bad, it's a honda, it's over engineered and well thought (too well done maybe). btw, how much did u get your Tein for? and where did u order it from? i wanna upgrade my suspension and clutch soon too.

Shane good to hear from you again :biggrin:

The install isn't too dificult. The only tricky part is the rear install. You can damage the CV boots when removing / installing the assembly.

Option2 said:
The install isn't too dificult. The only tricky part is the rear install. You can damage the CV boots when removing / installing the assembly.

Jay... haven't heard from you for a long time... i agree.. be careful with the CV boots... you don't want to create another project while working on one.. :wink:

jay... maybe we can hook up one of these days... would love to see your evo!

juejaimon said:
Jay... haven't heard from you for a long time... i agree.. be careful with the CV boots... you don't want to create another project while working on one.. :wink:

jay... maybe we can hook up one of these days... would love to see your evo!
That would be great!! I miss the drives / meets. If you guys don't mind, I would love join one of your drives as well.

BTW..My spring install turned out to be 2 projects in one (spring install and CV boot replacement). :eek:

I picked up the Tein/EDFC from SOS. Their pricing is on their website. I went with the FLEX because my car really is a street car and I'll only track it once, maybe twice a year. Seth at SOS said that going with one of the more track-oriented kits from Tein would probably be too harsh for the street. The only reason I even went with coilovers is for the infinitely adjustable height adjustment.

The availability of installing the EDFC with the kit was the final selling point. I've had adjustable suspensions before and having to go into the hatch and hood to adjust is a drag.

J

how did the install go? How's the ride compared to stock? How's the EDFC? Sorry for all the questions, I'm highly interested in getting a set of Tein Flex myself

Shocks and springs are not hard to install. I did this myself. I made a tool that helped with removing the rear shocks, you can barrow if you like.

When done pay to have the ride setup properly and have it corner ballanced and setup. You will need to get it alligned. At min your camber will be off.

I took my car to Foreign Affair in Santa Clara.

http://www.fahonda.com/

Good Luck.

I have the TIEN Re's Once they are shot I'll go for the Comptech Pro setup.

Later,
Don

I haven't installed the stuff yet. I'm lazy. Once I get it all installed, I'll give a write-up with my impressions, including pix. I'll start a new thread for it when I finally get it all installed. But don't hold your breath (did I mention that I'm lazy).

In the meantime, I can send pix to those of you who are interested in seeing something in particular. Also, something that nobody seems to talk about, the Flex is adjustable by the lower shock mount just like the REs and RAs so you can adjust height without affecting static spring rate(s).

Also, for those of you who are thinking of changing suspensions, let me know and I'll try to make it to the meets in Milpitas and I'll take you for a ride.

J

Back