• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Suspention and brake ?s

Hi all. I just purchased a 97 NSX and while bleeding the brakes several things struck me odd. First off I know not to mix synthetic and non synthetic brake fluid (I use non-synthetic Valvoline Dot 4) however how can I tell what is currently in there? Is there any way to tell the two types of fluid apart? Currently the fluid is a blue mystery. Smell and taste is normal (just kidding). Secondly all of the brake lines are steel reinforced. Was this stock? The coils and shocks appear to be stock and the ride height is normal but the sway bars are both red. Every car I have had (while stock) came with your basic black on the sway bars so I was wondering if this indicates that they had been replaced? Last question. When bleeding the brakes is it neccesary to also drain / replace the ABS system fluid? Please say no. Thanks.

Congrats.

Dot 3 and 4 play nicely together...they mix just fine.

You do not have to replace the ALB fluid, but it is certainly a good idea.

Sounds like your sway bars and brake lines have been replaced.

Drew

Dot 5 is best, is not a hydrate, but do not work with ABS---it foams. I've never researched if Dot 5 can be used in the conventional brake side of the NSX only. If you could: you would never have to change brake fluid again.

If I remember ,red sway bars could be from Dali.

Knome_#2 said:
First off I know not to mix synthetic and non synthetic brake fluid (I use non-synthetic Valvoline Dot 4) however how can I tell what is currently in there? Is there any way to tell the two types of fluid apart?
There are two primary types of brake fluid. However, they are not synthetic and non-synthetic. What you are thinking of is silicone based brake fluid (SBBF) and non silicone based brake fluid (non-SBBF), which is based on glycol rather than silicone. DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 fluids are non-SBBF. DOT 5 is SBBF. You can mix any of the various types of non-SBBF with each other; however, you cannot mix any of them with SBBF. Only non-SBBF is recommended in the NSX.

To answer your specific question, according to DOT regulations, non-SBBF is colorless to amber, and SBBF is purple.

Knome_#2 said:
all of the brake lines are steel reinforced. Was this stock?
No.

drew said:
Dot 5 is best
No, it isn't, because of its inability to mix with non-SBBF (which is probably why Honda does not recommend it in the NSX). However, perhaps you are thinking of DOT 5.1 fluid?

Each DOT rating has a specific minimum boiling temperature specified, for when it is new (dry) and when it has absorbed moisture (wet). The higher the DOT rating, the higher the minimum boiling temperature, so the better the brake fluid because it is more resistant to boiling. DOT 5.1 meets the boiling point minimums of DOT 5, without the downsides of SBBF.

However, there are brake fluids that may also meet the boiling point requirements without the DOT rating. For example, Motul RBF 600 has boiling points of 593F dry and 420F wet, which exceed the DOT 5.1 minimums of 500F and 356F, but it is classified as a DOT 4 fluid. To see the boiling points of most popular brake fluids, click here.

The "Blue Mystery" is "ATE Super Blue" DOT4 brake fluid:). Verify with he previous owner if you can, although I do not beleive there is another "Blue" fluid on the market.

ATE DOT4 fluids actually come in Gold or Blue. You can alternate colors between flushes so it is easy to distiguish when you are done.

DOT5 is really not practical unless you are rebuiilding your ENTIRE brake system. There cannot be the slightest bit of DOT3/4 in the system. I would not use it. JMO.

HTH,
LarryB

Back