• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Tachometer is jumpy/sticky

Just purchased my nsx and I have noticed that the tach is a little sticky. To explain alittle better, when the engine revs, the tach needle does not move smoothly. I am not sure if this is an issue with the needle itself or what? Any ideas on what a fix might be?

Here is a video, hopefully it works...

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/...on=view&current=video-2012-04-15-21-04-03.mp4

Between 1.5k-2k it looks like the video kind of "skips" but it does not, this is the issue I am referring too.

Last edited:
It sounds like the previous owner might have had an after market bezel and put it back to stock before the sale. There could have also been attempted "tampering" to reflect lower mileage on the car...did you try and verify the mileage on the car before purchase ie car fax etc.

Car has been stock its entire life, owned by an older gentleman. Carfax didnt show anything sketchy

Was the owner you bought it from the original owner? Ask him if he noticed the "sticky" tach needle. That sort of issue is rare unless someone's been in there. I used to own a 99 Prelude (2 "toy" cars prior to buying the NSX) back in 03/04. Had a similar issue with the tach needle and it was caused by tampering with the cluster to "enhance" the look. Never did such mods with any subsequent cars.

I would try to reseat the vss located on top of the tranny. It might be loose. Then remice the cluster, making sure all the harness are tug in tight. On my gsr the vss connector on the vss were loose causing my speedo to stick and not even work sometime. Clean out the connector and speedo work. Didnt touch anything else.

Not quite sure if this will help you but I had a similar "jumping" issue with my cluster in a civic. My speedo was affected but it could have been the tach just as likely. My problem was internal to the cluster. When I sold the car the new owner put a cluster in from a wrecked car and had no issues with it at all afterwards.

I fixed the problem! Previous owner had an aftermarket amp installed in the trunk, and there was a ground wire running to the trunk that was routed right next to the ecu. When I removed the aftermarket ground wire, problem was solved... :biggrin:

I fixed the problem! Previous owner had an aftermarket amp installed in the trunk, and there was a ground wire running to the trunk that was routed right next to the ecu. When I removed the aftermarket ground wire, problem was solved... :biggrin:

Glad to hear it! I know how annoying the littlest things can be when it comes our cars....I have OCD and it never ends.

Back