• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taitec GTLW exhaust sound(s) w/ and w/out silencer

Anyone have any comments or descriptions on how the Taitec GTLW exhaust sounds with and without silencers? I've heard some clips of how they sound - and I get a good sense of them getting louder with increasing revs. But, how do they sound compared to stock at low rpms? How do they compare to the Comptech exhaust?

What about if the silencers are in? Does that make much of a difference? I assume the sound clips are with the silencers out but I don't know for sure.

Both my wife and I prefer quieter, smoother sounding cars but I could go for some increase in sound (both quality and volume) over stock.

Thanks a bunch.

Dont' have any sound clips. (they're out there if u search) I was concerned about it being TOO loud also.

I don't think its "loud" at all really especially at idle. Just sounds better and meaner. I do think mine was louder without the headers but it sounds 'better' with the headers.

It sounded so good I never installed the silencers. If you go with the GTLW, user RJP sells them at a good price.

Here's a rating comparison from SoS.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

Caveat: I have been using test pipes so I don't know how this exhaust sounds with cats.Imo Big difference in volume of sound with the silencers.Much less annoying toodling around.Without them and catless very sweet but race car loud.

I bought the Taitec GTLW last year and when I first put it on I thought it was actually too loud for my taste.

I did get the silencers and decided to try the car first and then perhaps mount them later if I would still find it too loud.
Now, its almost a year later and I still have not mounted them.

Perhaps I got used to the GTLW really fast. And just maybe the GTLW has become a little quieter over time. And yes, you will hear it very well but practically everyone who has heard it loved the sound it gives.
Actually, the GTLW is only loud when you are accelerating, when you are juist cruising at a certain speed it seems to quiet down. But especially in narrow city streets people will definately know that you are coming.
And yes, there are moments where you might want it to be a little more quiet, but, as said, it's actually more you're right foot that controls the sound level.
Have a friend who has bougth the GTLW after hearing mine and so far I've never found his car to be intrusive or annoying. However, I must admit that his NSX is a silver one, not red :biggrin:

Actually I think that most clips I've heard are without the silencers mounted.

level.
Have a friend who has bougth the GTLW after hearing mine and so far I've never found his car to be intrusive or annoying. However, I must admit that his NSX is a silver one, not red :biggrin:
QUOTE]

Ahhhh,:smile: :wink:
So now by your own admission you agree that a RED NSX can be a lot more intrusive or annoying than for instance a SILVER one:tongue: :biggrin:

As far as the GTLW's "noise" is concerned:
When comparing MvM's 3.0l '94 to my 3.2L '98, they sound a LOT different.
Perhaps it has to do with the engine, but more probably with the fact that I only have the GTLW while the rest of the exhaust is OE as compared to MvM who has aftermarket headers too.
MvM's car is louder and sounds more "metal like/raspy" more Ferrari like, as mine sounds a bit darker/quieter.

This beeing the case, we are both happy with it, even though MvM's car sounds wicked and draws even more attention (don't know if it is either because of the driver, the colour or the sound):rolleyes: , I feel it would be a little too loud for me to have to listen to all the time when my car sounded like that.

But hey, perhaps it is as I am a little older, beeing past the "rice boy" stage:rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ahhhh,:smile: :wink:
So now by your own admission you agree that a RED NSX can be a lot more intrusive or annoying than for instance a SILVER one:tongue: :biggrin:

As far as the GTLW's "noise" is concerned:
When comparing MvM's 3.0l '94 to my 3.2L '98, they sound a LOT different.
Perhaps it has to do with the engine, but more probably with the fact that I only have the GTLW while the rest of the exhaust is OE as compared to MvM who has aftermarket headers too.
MvM's car is louder and sounds more "metal like/raspy" more Ferrari like, as mine sounds a bit darker/quieter.

This beeing the case, we are both happy with it, even though MvM's car sounds wicked and draws even more attention (don't know if it is either because of the driver, the colour or the sound):rolleyes: , I feel it would be a little too loud for me to have to listen to all the time when my car sounded like that.

But hey, perhaps it is as I am a little older, beeing past the "rice boy" stage:rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin:

No, my car is certainly not more annoying, it's just so much prettier to look at.

But Rsevo6 is right about the sound difference. Even though we have the same exhaust our cars definately sound different.

And you're wrong about the age difference. The funny thing is, when you have a NSX all owners get stuck at the same responsible and mature age level :cool:

rsev06 - I assume you have not tried using the silencers yet... is that right?

My wife and I never went through the rice boy stage. I still have stock wheels on ALL my cars. :)

Do you know how the silencers work? What do they insert into?

Thanks for the help.

Back