• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Temporary Front End Protection

Hey Primers, I'm looking for a temporary solution to protect the front end of a vehicle that I just purchased, and I'm driving it from San Diego up north 300 miles.
I'm concerned with the damage from rock's on the road as it chips the paint really bad. I'm out of time to purchase a Bra for it so I'm wondering it there is something you can recommend to drive it this one time and protect it and remove it a few hours later.
I've seen some Nsx's in the track with blue tape, is this a good route to go as a temporary measure ? If so, what kind of tape is this and where can I purchase some.
I really want to keep this car's front end clean as it is very cherry right now. Thanx guys.

3m-painters-tape-i8.jpg

Painters tape is the quickest and cheapest way to go. There was one guy that posted up on here that taped almost his whole car to ensure 0 rock chips or scratches. If I were you I would tape more then just the front end. Like areas behind all 4 wheels, the vents on the side of the doors, and mirrors. Opps I forgot to tell you that you can buy that tape at any hardware store.

Last edited:
That blue painters tape seem to be the easy fastest way to go to protect the paint. I thought it was another type of special blue tape lol. Good to know, I'll buy that and i'm looking into the roadwrap. seems to be a good way to go as well. Makes me think of the Glad press and seal wrap my girlfriend uses in the kitchen. Or the wrap you see warehouses use to wrap pallets of boxes before they are loaded into semi-trucks.
Thanx for the info guys. I really want to protect this paint. I'll be looking for a clear bra vendor soon.

Here's mine at the track.. Note that I also have a clear bra installed so that's why a lot of the front isn't taped off (including the mirrors).
SOW_073011_Ses1_-_023.jpg

SOW_073011_Ses2_-_047.jpg

Good luck man. Wish I would of consulted the primers before I drove my Nsx from Sam Diego to Las Vegas. My paint got all ate up with rocks.

Even easier is "Plasti Dip" spray-on plastic shield that you can peel right off when you no longer need it. Various colors including black & clear.

Hapa88 I had seen a post with your car having those areas taped, that's where I got the idea to ask how you do it and mainly if it really protected the paint. Thanx for sharing . Chive on: I learned to ask questions here in the forum as there's many car lovers that come out with good ideas we can use. Some questions might seem dumb or just ignorant, but ignorance can be cured thru gaining knowledge, so now I ask no matter what the subject is. Sorry about your car getting chipped, now use that as a life experience and buy your self a bra ahead of time or blue tape.
I received the bra and after I wash it today I'm putting it on it.

Back