• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 2017 Acura NSX reality check

What a fucking load of crap from the interviewer!!

It's the new NSX, built in 2016! If you want simple, go buy the Miata or the 86. Tell a F458 driver to drive his car without all the driver aids and see where he ends up [off the track most likely].

He admitted it was very fast, but he doesn't want/like a car that makes it possible?? Or does he want to be scared speechless with a car that is borderline driveable?? I'm not knocking something like that, if that's what you want, fine go choose a GT3. But don't knock the NSX because it is a "safer" fast car than a GT3. Some of us actually might appreciate it!!! :)

The brakes are an interesting point. How cold were the brakes before he started that lap? How many laps had that car done already before he got into it? I've not read one comment on brake fade from any previewer, just praise for they capability!! Kinda puts his bias in perspective?

As for the high speed vibration, hell when my race car drops a wheel weight, it gets hard to see from the vibration at anything over 100mph, let alone 140! :)

Oh, and in my opinion the real problem with the NSX is that the interviewer should have left his preconceived bias at the trackside. Judge it for what it IS, not for what YOU want it to be! If it doesn't suit fine, it's not for you, but don't diss the car because it's not what you expected. Judge it on it's merits, or not at all. And don't say in the interview the problem is it's called an NSX! How pathetic.

Last edited:
Great video and beautifully fluid driving - a pleasure to watch. As for the reviewer, yeah it seems he came to it prepped to be critical and ready to find fault - but perhaps there is something in the issues he raises. The new NSX is after all, bespoke design with lots of new technology - it's not going to be perfect out of the gate and it'll bet it'll take the best part of a year or so of real world experience to expose it's achilles heel(s). The video gives the first evidence of perhaps an inherent weakness of the brake-by-wire system, so it will be interesting to see if this is borne out by the experience of others. It is after all, a heavy car with immense stopping power, but it seems when pushed hard around the track, reaches it's design limits quickly due to heat soak into the hydraulic system. I'll be interesting to keep a watch on real-world experience and remedy.

Last edited:
Does he even own an NSX? Laughable. "Heritage." He sounds like he just wants to make an argument over something he knows nothing about clearly. Stick to your FF Hondas classics buddy.

The video gives the first evidence of perhaps an inherent weakness of the brake-by-wire system, so it will be interesting to see if this is borne out by the experience of others. It is after all, a heavy car with immense stopping power, but it seems when pushed hard around the track, reaches it's design limits quickly due to heat soak into the hydraulic system. I'll be interesting to keep a watch on real-world experience and remedy.

You have to realize that doing hard laps and then coming in and sitting on the pit apron for a short spell, then going out again to hammer the brakes is one of the worst case scenarios for a brake package? This is evidenced [if you don't want to take my word for it] by the driver asking to be let out for a cool down lap, even after he'd come in. About the only thing worse is constant abuse, lap after lap on a race track.

Ideally he should have been doing a cool down lap BEFORE coming in.

You have to realize that doing hard laps and then coming in and sitting on the pit apron for a short spell, then going out again to hammer the brakes is one of the worst case scenarios for a brake package? This is evidenced [if you don't want to take my word for it] by the driver asking to be let out for a cool down lap, even after he'd come in. About the only thing worse is constant abuse, lap after lap on a race track.

Ideally he should have been doing a cool down lap BEFORE coming in.

Thank you for that, that's helpful. I need to say I have absolutely no experience driving on a track, much less driving a powerful car like that. I'm an electronics and computer engineer and so the car appeals to me greatly for it's technological ability to perform safely closer to the limits of Newtonian law! I'm a potential buyer as well and it appeals as a fast comfortable GT cruiser but also I'm interested in taking lessons to learn to drive on a track (there is a track 75 miles from me that offers as much).

The brakes are an interesting point. How cold were the brakes before he started that lap? How many laps had that car done already before he got into it? I've not read one comment on brake fade from any previewer, just praise for they capability!! Kinda puts his bias in perspective?
Maybe because noone was allowed to use track mode an drive hot laps? :wink: C'mon, don't be hard on the guy. If he found a weak Point it's his right to name it. As the car has a steel disc option you can expect that the brake system with carbon discs can sustain several hot laps on the track. If it can't why would somebody choose this 10k option? This is even more important because mods of the brake system in this car are far more complex for an owner than it was on gen 1.

Years ago there was an Audi R8 owner in Germany who went on the track and ruined his brakes in one day and blamed Audi for it claiming the car was track-ready. The accusation was reversed because the dummy owner went on the track with the steel brakes while the carbon option was available.

Very nice driving, but I don't think he was correct about the 3 stages of brake temp warning since you can clearly hear what he described as that "third stage" audible warning as he brakes hard from high speed into the turn. He was probably just describing everything the car does when it senses high temps.
Not sure if this is really any sort of problem with the car, but it is surprising given the electric motors decel regen and carbon brakes. Oh, and I'm OK with reusing the NSX name!

I disagree with the reviewer's assessment and believe he is being blind to what the heritage of the NSX is. The original NSX embraced some elements of the traditional sports car while opening up the frontier on elements that hadn't seen production before. It moved in to new territory with:

- a high-revving engine that was street friendly through the use of VTEC, increased durability and low routine maintenance.
- all aluminum monoc0que construction that pushed the frontiers of aluminum use in production vehicles
- a clean, durable interior that focused more on function that show unlike the competitors has aged well and avoided "sticky" issues
- increased luggage capacity so that the vehicle could be used on long trips rather

All of these combined to make a much more usable exotic - the "every day super car"

It embraced elements of the traditional sports car such as precise handling, a powerful (relative to the time) engine, clear visibility, styling and a low ground clearance. None of these were new ideas, but the NSX did a good job of doing them.

The 2017 NSX follows in the footsteps of its predecessor in an eloquent fashion - embracing elements of the traditional sports car while opening the frontier on elements that haven't seen mass production before. The most obvious move in to new territory with the hybrid system. While the P1 and 918 already pioneered this in a "production" vehicle, I put production in quotes because those are very low number, restricted use vehicles. When you price your car over $1 million, you can do a fair bit of engineering that isn't available when you are pricing your car in the sub $200k range. The 2017 NSX hybrid system had to be stress tested to levels beyond that of the P1 & 918, so it is pretty safe to say that it has done a bit of pioneering.

The 2017 NSX (like its predecessor) also embraces the current exotic car market though with things like paddle shifters, increased electronic controls and a near warp speed experience. The car isn't losing its heritage, it is simply remaining relevant in the new consumer market. When the original NSX was released, it didn't have carburetors, it used fuel injection despite carbs being a "traditional" sports car experience. Honda has always demonstrated that it is a company that moves forward with technology and the NSX is no exception.

There may be a market for a light, 6 speed, low tech car but I don't think there is much of one. If you want a car that does all of that, simply buy a used NSX.

Not too long ago I heard that as of now the carbon brakes option has to be applied when ordering now. The problem in this video might be due to the fact that that car is constantly running hot laps when taking people for rides. The driver also talks about how he dives into these corners with more speed that he is used to, I'm not sure if it's just his driving style for the new NSX or maybe the car has to be driven this way for the torque vectoring system to work properly. The new NSX isn't the lightest so that combined with steel rotors and higher corner entry speeds could potentially be a problem, maybe a similar scenario to the excessive tire wear on the original NSX.

Actually it's a steel brake disc "discount" you can't choose for now. The first ordered cars all have carbon brakes (required option for now). With steel brake discs things won't get better on the track. Maybe a cooling compromise. Inner splash shields versus airflow/cooling. On Gen 1 you could gain a lot of cooling by removing the splash shields.

hmmn, that was an interesting video. the brakes situation is peculiar?

there is absolutely no way they weren't doing cool down laps after every stint, no way. it's a no brainer. there's no way in any test like this, with a professional Honda driver, with hot lap demos for press, in a pre-production Supercar, that cool down laps aren't being done at every opportunity, simply no way. these cars are treated like Divas in these settings, for precisely the reasons we've all just seen. they are checked, double checked, and triple checked again, and treated as nicely as possible for the entire event to give the best and most consistent performance possible. they do get thrashed yep, but that's the purpose of these cars and these events. they're pre-production cars, with a flock of engineers watching every temperature degree and monitoring every kb of information through the cars many data systems. below is the context of where, when and how the car was tested, and by whom:

[FONT=&quot]The Spring Rally is MAMA's (Midwest Automotive Media Association) flagship event where most major manufacturers
have fleet companies bring a select number of vehicles for media to drive at Road America and on the street. For track
drives only certain vehicles are allowed and there are rules to ensure these cars are not destroyed. In the case of the
[/FONT]
NSX[FONT=&quot] Honda used hired driver David Wandless to provide hot laps and impressions of the vehicle.[/FONT]

interestingly, if you follow the link the to actual page instead of just watching the video on Prime, the reviewer doesn't paint a great picture of the Acura/Honda rep on hand, nor the way Honda as of late has been dealing with customer service.

back to the braking, i'm quite perplexed by what i saw. running full speed down Road America's front straight would have certainly allowed the brakes temp to cool down some (theoretically), but then you're braking down from almost terminal velocity which would light up the brake temp immediately again. that track does have very high speed straightaways followed by very heavy braking zones at several points around the track, this is fact. it's a supremely tough track on brakes. but a Supercar on carbon brakes should be able to handle that all day long. especially a press car with a team of engineers babysitting.

can't comment on the vibration, that could be a wheel weight, a tire, a suspension issue, who knows?

you fanboys need to develop a thicker skin and relax a little bit. i honestly thought Sadlerau was gonna have a massive heart attack reading his post earlier. it's a reviewers job to review. to find fault, weakness, and whatever else while being objective and to also point out the positives. he's entitled to his opinion, and he also doesn't need to be a previous NSX owner to do so. that would not be a requirement of being a journalist.

this car hasn't had stellar reviews since the beginning, this review isn't a departure from the norm...

I welcome the objective criticism, but he hasn't even driven the new NSX and has deemed it not fun. That's not objective reviewing or reporting. He went into the hot lap with a goal of trying to argue and I could understand that in the sense of impatience in trying to experience a car that is heavily anticipated. He sounded like a teenager trying to navigate his way out of a speeding ticket when he was in the car with the driver afterwards fishing for an answer.

He's the real fanboy tho as all of the cars he mentioned that were "fun" had nothing to do with supercars both in complexity and price range, as we all know the modern reality of supercars are rather complicated and not simple.

hmmn, that was an interesting video. the brakes situation is peculiar?
..............this car hasn't had stellar reviews since the beginning, this review isn't a departure from the norm...

Not to worry, I wasn't about to have a heart attack :)

And you show your bias, because the "negative" reviews have all been about - "it's not an analogue car like the original NSX"! That's what annoys me the most, they expected the next generation of New Sports eXperimental Honda/Acura to be less experimental?

Why can't people accept the MkII was never going to be a lightly warmed over "updated" version of the MkI? It's not been designed for everyone, and if you want a GT3 go buy one, or hope the R is closer to what you want. But don't diss the MkII because it isn't what YOU want, especially when you haven't even driven it?

Because of my past experience driving a SH-AWD Legend, I've always had great faith that Honda could make the MkII a blindingly quick point A to point B missile. It wouldn't be a car for everyone, but in the right hands it would be quick. Early indications are it is quick, but let's wait and see on direct comparisons shall we?

As for the brake issue, there were multiple drivers [both professional and not] at the drive day in California earlier this year, and none mentioned an issue about brakes? Indeed the brake comments, until this review, have been the most positive aspect of all the reviews I've seen. Perhaps this pro driver had had a long day and wasn't careful enough about looking after the brakes? As for the reviewer, someone looking for attention most likely?

you guys are hilarious, you do amuse me very much. :biggrin:

what bias do i have? i actually do own an NSX, have owned more than one, and i didn't do the review ladies. so un-wad those panties would 'ya?

as i said earlier, the braking system issue is quite perplexing to me. i forgot to mention previously, as i was in a rush to catch an airplane, but there were artificial chicanes set up on several of the straightaways with cones to keep straightline speed down before entering the (normally heavy) braking zones of Road America. i watched a few other videos of the same reviewer at the same event to get a gauge of his attitude towards the other cars also, and the same coned chicane type shit was also in attendance in the middle of the straights. so that makes it even more unusual that a Supercar with carbon ceramic brakes would experience fade issues under such relatively easy usage.

nice quoting of my earlier post Sadlerau, you totally left out everything i said, all of which was completely impartial. i was merely stating facts about the track itself, and the procedures for these track focused events.

you hardcore fanboys had better soften your stance a bit. the car isn't living up to the hype, that's not a surprise. the overwhelming majority of reviews and reviewers are saying the same thing, been saying it a while, and unfortunately it isn't what you fellas wanna hear.

such is life. but who cares, you guys can still buy one. no one said you couldn't. you're just gonna have to face the facts. at least for the time being, it isn't the all conquering Supercar you'd like it to be...

I find it curious that a journalist of his age would carry so much bias.
There must be something about Honda that some journalists disrespect.
If that journalist behaved like that at a 458 launch he'd likely not be invited back.

I found it to be a fair review--the guy was just giving his opinion which hasn't varied from others we have heard. Of course he didn't drive the car, so some things should be taken with a grain of salt. But it's his take and I think summarily dismissing it because it doesn't jive with what we want to hear is just NSX2 fanboism.

I am glad we are finally getting some more reviews. Hopefully, some better ones to come. But I prefer honesty.

Preconceived notions resulting from false "NSX heritage" is not Honesty. He sounded more emotional in the review than any other person so far, like the rest of the Honda fanboys on this board who was disappointed that Honda doesn't make the old Hondas anymore that are light and simple - Fast Aussie included :rolleyes:

At least other reviewers got to drive the NSX on the track and expressed their actual honesty about the steering feelings and the actual short comings of the NSX instead of trying to expect an S2000 from a $150K NSX. None of them have mentioned faded or poor brakes for the new car.

I found it to be a fair review--the guy was just giving his opinion which hasn't varied from others we have heard. Of course he didn't drive the car, so some things should be taken with a grain of salt. But it's his take and I think summarily dismissing it because it doesn't jive with what we want to hear is just NSX2 fanboism

What I found interesting was his comments about the first generation NSX compared to the new one.
Perhaps I'm wrong but it didn't sound like he is/was an owner of a first generation and he only went for a ride in a new one so not sure how valid his comments are.
It appeared he was looking for something to criticize and seemed to be urging the driver to say a 911 was the better car.
To me the journalists job is to report the facts from a, hopefully unbiased, viewpoint.
If the new NSX has a brake issue, or a wheel balance issue by all means report it.
But comparing the new NSX to a 25 year old NSX makes little sense and trying to insert a Porsche into the discussion shows some immaturity on the part of the reporter.
If the same journalist was conducting a comparison test between the new NSX and a Porsche after having driven them both then fair to report the good and bad in each.

I thought it was a great video despite the journalist's negative review. As others have said he's entitled to his own opinion. Looking back at the video you can almost see the look of disappointment on his face through the helmet. He certainly is not one to embrace change, which I believe is required in order to appreciate the new Nsx.

In a way I don't blame him, it reminds me of a theory of mine in which if you take your favorite band and compare their very first album to their latest, well let's just say there will always be something very special about that first album, and the rest are usually not the same, they're more experimental, more evolved over time.

Then again my favorite type of music is 80's rock so what do I know.:cool:

When you're finished changing, you're finished - Ben Franklin.

i love that once again, you fellas carefully pick and choose your facts and talking points (not you JD). the reviewer (while admittedly a bit negative) is a Honda fanboy, as he clearly stated in the review.

It appeared he was looking for something to criticize and seemed to be urging the driver to say a 911 was the better car.
To me the journalists job is to report the facts from a, hopefully unbiased, viewpoint.
If the new NSX has a brake issue, or a wheel balance issue by all means report it.
But comparing the new NSX to a 25 year old NSX makes little sense and trying to insert a Porsche into the discussion shows some immaturity on the part of the reporter.
If the same journalist was conducting a comparison test between the new NSX and a Porsche after having driven them both then fair to report the good and bad in each.

you could well be right? but it seems natural to always compare competitors in this regard. when a new Mustang model comes out, the first question is always "how does it compare to the Camaro?" when a new mid-sized Lamborghini comes out, they're asking how it compares to the Ferrari. new NSX, 911 and R8 competitor. the 911 GT3 seems to be the bar for best driver's car these days, so it seems logical...

Preconceived notions resulting from false "NSX heritage" is not Honesty. He sounded more emotional in the review than any other person so far, like the rest of the Honda fanboys on this board who was disappointed that Honda doesn't make the old Hondas anymore that are light and simple - Fast Aussie included :rolleyes:

please stop including me in this conversation with your personal opinions of my perceived personal opinions. i don't care one way or another about the new NSX. i don't love it, i don't hate it. it is whatever it turns out to be, and doesn't bother me one way or the other. i like the 918, and the P1, and the LaFerrari, and have no problem with the technology. i like the R8, the 458, the 911 GT3, the 911 Turbo S, the Huracan, the McLaren 650S, 570S, 675LT, etc. if it's an awesome car, i will like it. i have no allegiance to one brand or another. i'm not a huge fan of the German brands to be honest, but i do love the aforementioned cars and certain others they produce. i have always been a big fan of Honda in general, so there you go.

what i am not for, is blatant denial of facts or opinions from people who test drive every car made for a living, by fanboys who do not...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. sorry if that seems a bit harsh, but it's sorta like fat, middle aged men watching the Superbowl talking about how bad the quarterback sucks.

That was a joke or friendly jab FA. The fact that you get so emotional about the subject speaks volumes IMO. We all know you don't care about the new NSX, but yet you still post about it here haha. I really do believe it's because you are an old school Honda fan hehe.

The 911 comparison comes from the fact the Porsche cars have stellar brakes and are thus the reference. (disclaimer i have no love for German cars either, and am a Honda fan - but i am not blind) It's also quite common on all Honda cars to have under performing brakes, including 1st gen NSX especially years 90-96...
As for the "simple and light" argument, i am an engineer, i know that a simple and light design is way more difficult to achieve than a heavy and complicated one. It requires a lot of discipline, experience, and work. That's why so many of us Honda fans are from a technical background, we appreciate the engineering approach that goes in their classic cars.
Maybe the 2nd gen NSX needs better ventilation for brake discs ? More likely that's a pad issue, who knows what brand/model they use ? I'd bet they put "road / fast driving" pads there and not "endurance track" ones which would explain the fading, that would make sense as it's a road car first and track oriented pads do make a lot of dust and noise.

FWIW My 991TT has steel rotors & are great performers for me.

Lots of controversy w/ceramic. Consensus for the street - low dusting, long life, happy owners.

Track...not the best durability choice + high replacement cost.

Excerpt from August 2016 Excellence Magazine "Porsche Braking Systems"

Scan_zpsyw0oxb0s.jpeg~original

Back