• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The 2017 Acura NSX reality check

I rode with Peter Cunningham in the 2017 NSX at The Thermal in October at 105F heat. 135mph into a tight left at brake point 2 or less. there was NO BRAKE FADE. This driver may have been a bit long on the pedal.

Last edited:
That was a joke or friendly jab FA. The fact that you get so emotional about the subject speaks volumes IMO. We all know you don't care about the new NSX, but yet you still post about it here haha. I really do believe it's because you are an old school Honda fan hehe.

i am a Honda fan, this has been covered. hence why my NSX wears full Honda badging, and my family drives Honda's. they are either instructed to buy, or bought by me. i own several Honda motorbikes as well.

i just don't favour "armchair quarterbacking" as i believe you call it. i have seen so many people (on this site) discrediting an R8, a 458, or a 911 without ever even sitting in one, it's ridiculous and ignorant. if realistically, 80% of reviewers are less than blown away by a new car, and said reviewers drive and review cars every day, then there must be something to what they are saying (generally, not specific to this one review)...

i have seen so many people (on this site) discrediting an R8, a 458, or a 911 without ever even sitting in one, it's ridiculous and ignorant.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer of said video has not driven an R8, 458 or even the 911 and obviously the new NSX. If you read his Youtube comments, it becomes clear that he has only "watched" reviews for them.

I'm pretty sure the reviewer of said video has not driven an R8, 458 or even the 911 and obviously the new NSX. If you read his Youtube comments, it becomes clear that he has only "watched" reviews for them.

once again, you have completely and absolutely missed the point. please re-read what i said an answer accordingly...

I didn't miss the point. The general consensus doesn't seem to agree with you on the 80% of reviewers that aren't "Blown Away." I don't agree with that percentage and I reckon the members up here that have kept up with the reviews do not either. It'd be more accurate to say that over 80% of the reviewers gave the new NSX a positive review more than a negative one.

"Blown Away" is very subjective and none of the reviews of the original NSX have ever met that marker - old timely reviews and recent reviews of used ones.

We should all be asking questions / seeking assurances on the brake over heat issue.

But, the reviewer's obsession with "the problem is this [the NSX logo]" and that the car was so advanced compared to the Gen 1.

Exactly 0.0 prospective buyers of the Gen 2.0 NSX are unaware of the radically different technology in the 2.0 versus 1.0 car. By all means, compare the car to its peers along intangible "connectedness" and "fun to drive" factors. But to suggest that biggest problem with the 2.0 is that is it unlike the 1.0 is just odd.

When I am reading a sports care review, I don't need to hear about how motorcycles are more fun. I want to know if it is a good car and how it compares to its peers.

it's not the first time i've heard a reviewer say Honda/Acura shouldn't have used the NSX name for this car. it's not the 2nd time either, it's been said quite a few times, so it seems a valid opinion to hold.

as for the brake issue, that seems to be an anomaly. all things considered and previously mentioned, it's definitely a bit peculiar but i can't imagine that to be a legit problem. the car has been tested too many times, and at too many other tracks and venues without any brake problems.

When I am reading a sports care review, I don't need to hear about how motorcycles are more fun. I want to know if it is a good car and how it compares to its peers.

funny you should say that. you want the car compared to it's peers and rivals, and then you have other members complaining when it is compared to its peers and rivals. just shows that you can't please everyone. which honestly, may be Honda's biggest problem to begin with...

funny you should say that. you want the car compared to it's peers and rivals, and then you have other members complaining when it is compared to its peers and rivals. just shows that you can't please everyone. which honestly, may be Honda's biggest problem to begin with...

Is the 911 Gt3 a direct competitor? I thought they were targeting the 911 Turbo? Whole different goal and purpose even if the price range is similar. If that's a valid point, it's a surprising gaff for a journalist.

Is the 911 Gt3 a direct competitor? I thought they were targeting the 911 Turbo? Whole different goal and purpose even if the price range is similar. If that's a valid point, it's a surprising gaff for a journalist.

Exactly. Acura did not have the GT3 in mind. In fairness, however, some potential NSX buyers will look/think about a 991 GT3, but will be deciding based on a category of car more than a head-to-head analysis of which was "more connected as a race car." Duh. I think the R8V10+ and 991TT are closest comps.

I also found it odd (both in form and substance) the way the guy kept needling him about the GT3 being the more connected car or whatever.

Exactly. Acura did not have the GT3 in mind. In fairness, however, some potential NSX buyers will look/think about a 991 GT3, but will be deciding based on a category of car more than a head-to-head analysis of which was "more connected as a race car." Duh. I think the R8V10+ and 991TT are closest comps.

I also found it odd (both in form and substance) the way the guy kept needling him about the GT3 being the more connected car or whatever.

i would think the GT3 is not a direct competitor to the NSX (price range or class), as chrisn just said. but at the moment most people consider the GT3 to be the bar in terms of "best handling" car on the road. so naturally, it seems like an inevitable comparison...

it's not the first time i've heard a reviewer say Honda/Acura shouldn't have used the NSX name for this car. it's not the 2nd time either, it's been said quite a few times, so it seems a valid opinion to hold.

as for the brake issue, that seems to be an anomaly. all things considered and previously mentioned, it's definitely a bit peculiar but i can't imagine that to be a legit problem. the car has been tested too many times, and at too many other tracks and venues without any brake problems.

It seems the issue as to whether it should wear an NSX moniker is purely philosophically based on sentimental notions around what it represented in the old car, which frankly for me as a newcomer to performance vehicles and potential buyer of the new, doesn't factor in my interest. The new car is expensive and it's going to be very expensive to maintain, especially if the car is pushed to it's limits around a track fairly often - and that will be the sticking point for those who were looking for a spiritual successor to the first gen car - it's going to be out of reach for all but a select few.

I like the new car very much based on the Youtube reviews seen so far. I'm soon to retire from my career in electronics and computing, my family are all grown up, and it seems Honda have pitched this car perfectly for someone like me. It appeals in many ways it's competition doesn't - I like the understated styling; that it has visual links to common cars like the Civic and Fit, that it's going to be comfortable on twisty mountain passes, in city gridlock or pushed for fun on a track. It is precisely the kind of compromised car I'm looking for.

@kendallj i think we all agree on that, i'd get one if i had a 2nd garage to park it and use it as a DD ;) The contention point is, it's not engineered like the 1st NSX at all, which was optimized purely for weight and balance. We would all have been fine if Honda/Acura had called it "Legend Sport" or "Accord Coupe RS" or something in that spirit.. it would have been a smash hit. 1st gen in its time (in Europe at least) was unanimously praised by reviewers as the "Ferrari killer" and "redefining the supercar" which is what the name should imply, and it doesnt. 2nd gen is a competitively priced sports hybrid coupe, with high performance and comfort in all conditions, that has fair looks from the sides and is a bit on the heavy end of the spectrum. That puts it squarely into Audi territory. That the OEM pads are not up to par with aggressive track driving is nothing new on a Honda, and wont drive off brand afficionados...

Yes Ferrari got their shit together with the 458, a real home run, also the superlative Lambo Huracan (for me the most drool worthy lambo since the Countach), and McLaren 570S or the sadly aborted new Lotus Esprit which was everything we could dream of.. Or in a more affordable-but-hits-above-its-class segment, the ever fantastic Alfa 4C that's a real head turner, or that very surprising new Ford Mustang GT that seems to get unanimous praise so far (yes it's not mid engine, i know)...
(edit) some people would mention that Porsche Cayman S is just that, but i really have no love for the german cars especially in the looks department.

Last edited:
The NSX 2.0 is the closest successor, unless you wanna stretch it and say the 458...

you would say the NSX 2.0 is the closest successor to the original NSX?

the only thing similar is that is has two seats, a mid-engine and is made by the Japanese. however most of it isn't made by the Japanese is it?

it's AWD, it's heavy, has shit to no steering feel, it's a hybrid, is super digital instead of analog, and is more GT car than Supercar. it would seem to be the furthest thing from a direct descendant of the original NSX.

the 458 is light, mid engine, rear drive only, super high revving, true to its predecessor's heritage, incredibly alive and precise at the steering wheel, and is visceral, exciting and raw.

so it looks like you're probably right in answering your own question... :biggrin:

Fair enough - out of interest, what would be your ideal 2nd Gen NSX? (and are there currently comparative cars in other marques?)

N Spec answered your question for me.

i think the R8 is also close to a spiritual successor of the original NSX, in the way it's supremely easy to live with, reliable, but can go Jekyl and Hyde on you very quickly if you want to let her hair down.

Yes Ferrari got their shit together with the 458, a real home run, also the superlative Lambo Huracan (for me the most drool worthy lambo since the Countach), and McLaren 570S or the sadly aborted new Lotus Esprit which was everything we could dream of.. Or in a more affordable-but-hits-above-its-class segment, the ever fantastic Alfa 4C that's a real head turner, or that very surprising new Ford Mustang GT that seems to get unanimous praise so far (yes it's not mid engine, i know)...
(edit) some people would mention that Porsche Cayman S is just that, but i really have no love for the german cars especially in the looks department.

i would agree with you completely on everything you've just said. we have similar tastes and styles of automobiles. save i'm not into pony cars, but i will give them credit when due. i have heard nothing but praise for the new Mustang variants.

the car i was most excited for was the new Esprit. that car would've been a blast. a lightweight, cutting edge chassis with a 9000 rpm V8 with over 600 horsepower, absolutely looking the business and allegedly sounding like the F1 cars of old. mid engine, rear drive, YES PLEASE!

p.s. rumour is the car may not be dead. if they remake the Esprit, i'm buying it! sign me up, that car is exciting.

Yeah i have a lot of photos of the new Esprit from previous Geneva auto shows and that was going to be just perfection.. So far only the Huracan (in RWD variant) comes on top but its price bracket is out of my reach for now. Toyota/Lexus LFA shows the same kind of spirit in its engineering, actually the closest to original NSX (if we consider design rules) with weird but exotic looks, and eye bleeding price. Maybe if Toyota revives the Supra ? Or if Mazda surprises us with a new rotary ? (new developments in rotary engines are very exciting)

Yeah i have a lot of photos of the new Esprit from previous Geneva auto shows and that was going to be just perfection.. So far only the Huracan (in RWD variant) comes on top but its price bracket is out of my reach for now. Toyota/Lexus LFA shows the same kind of spirit in its engineering, actually the closest to original NSX (if we consider design rules) with weird but exotic looks, and eye bleeding price. Maybe if Toyota revives the Supra ? Or if Mazda surprises us with a new rotary ? (new developments in rotary engines are very exciting)

Well, there ya go then - sounds like many of you lot are wasting your time here and not long for this forum ;-) The Honda techie GT is just fine with me (no Acuras here) in a way that the other carts you mention don't appeal. Sure I appreciate they are all tour-de-forces of the genres they represent, but an NSX will be plenty fast enough and enjoyable for me, I'm sure. Someone has already mentioned that an NSX has been timed 2.6 seconds quicker than a Veyron around Thermal, so it's looking pretty damned quick for a GT tourer :)

Only the diehard mistaken fans will question the heritage of the NSX 2.0. It is in fact the sequel, not a Legend or RLX or Accord or what have you. It's an NSX.

Someone has already mentioned that an NSX has been timed 2.6 seconds quicker than a Veyron around Thermal, so it's looking pretty damned quick for a GT tourer :)
I think no one will deny that and i sure hope the figures will turn out to be impressive ;) What we imply is they are aiming towards a different audience definitely, more in line with GTRzilla than with Colin Chapman's or Soishiro's spirit... It's perfectly fine for many, the GTR is a pure monster of efficiency too.

Posts seem to be in two categories.

Those that aren't buying NSX 2 and want to discuss its shortcomings or differences with version 1, and compare it to other cars they aren't buying.
And those who are buying version 2 because they like it so see no need to do comparisons.

In 91 sports cars were simpler, analog, manual shift machines, and mid engined sports cars were few.
25 years on many mid-engined cars are on offer all with various attributes.
Different designs, power units, handling characteristics and so on.
And supporters of each marque for their own tastes and preferences.
A great period for mid-engined cars for those able to buy one.

Now Honda is building another version of a modern mid-engined sports car and badged it as an NSX.
Only logical given the brand equity they built from the first NSX.
And not surprisingly it has supporters and detractors, just as the first version did.

I admire Honda's courage to position the new NSX in the hybrid niche, competing with volume sports cars from Ferrari/Lamborghini/Audi/Porsche etc.
Surely it has pluses and minuses compared to others and does not have universal appeal.

But it is just as radical a departure from the norm as the first generation NSX was.
Time will tell if the new NSX will set a new standard as the original did.
I think it will.

Last edited:
Whenever I purchased an NSX - generally got a questioning look from car guy friends.

Didn't matter to me because I knew what I was getting into after the first one.

Sound people want the same shit recycled. Others can appreciate an actual challenge to the paradigm.

This is why you have TV shows that remain in stasis year after year with repeatable episodes in different flavors.

Then you have Movies that only come several years apart and each one can stand on their own pillar.

Nothing wrong with enjoying both as both are needed, but one has to recognize that the NSX is a movie car not an episode car like the 911 or Corvette.

Back