• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Negatives of the NSX 2.0

26000 light years from the nearest black hole
After the initial excitement, the following seem disappointing:

The engine should be hidden if all it can show is a few odd plastic pieces....looks pathetic compared to a 458 or even an R8 V10 engine.

Too much going on in the face.

The price will be around $150-160 apparently....too many great choices at this price point.... no matter if the NSX is comparing performance to cars costing many times that.

The overall shape lacks the smoothness and elegance of the original...too busy.

The rear does not have a clean uncluttered aspect. It is difficult to remember exactly what it looks like once you look away. Same actually goes for the front end....too busy.

Interior looks quite good but the center console in mid dash looks very un exotic.

Technologically the car is a masterpiece. I think it will need some tweaking in the years ahead in a few departments.

A good effort. Not a great effort from HONDA.

After the initial excitement, the following seem disappointing:

The engine should be hidden if all it can show is a few odd plastic pieces....looks pathetic compared to a 458 or even an R8 V10 engine.

Too much going on in the face.

The price will be around $150-160 apparently....too many great choices at this price point.... no matter if the NSX is comparing performance to cars costing many times that.

The overall shape lacks the smoothness and elegance of the original...too busy.

The rear does not have a clean uncluttered aspect. It is difficult to remember exactly what it looks like once you look away. Same actually goes for the front end....too busy.

Interior looks quite good but the center console in mid dash looks very un exotic.

Technologically the car is a masterpiece. I think it will need some tweaking in the years ahead in a few departments.

A good effort. Not a great effort from HONDA.

A little too early to justify some of those conclusions IMO. It looks exactly how we expected if not a little better; no surprise to anyone there. It's pushing 550hp+; while we all hoped that would be the case I know many people were bracing themselves for a 450-480hp figure. It was never going to be lower than $125-135k. With these stats $150k is quite reasonable assuming it comes well equipped as many Acuras do. Crazy idea but maybe we should drive the car before determining if it is a failure or success.

http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-ford-gt/

Now the ONLY thing that the NSX 2.0 has (if the new FGT comes out) is SH-AWD and hybrid (for sneaking away through the parking lots if the cops came to arrest street racers).

Power-wise the new FGT has more with just the engine.....

Looks great...not sure how they're going to attract new $150 - 175K buyers (guessing optioned up) + sales tax & license - another $15-17K where I live.

Doubtful many current Acura customers who mostly compare & shop monthly MDX/RDX payments are players in that atmosphere ↑↑↑ - but who knows?

The car itself appears to be home run & I'm excited to see how it performs in the real world.

Last edited:
http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-ford-gt/

Now the ONLY thing that the NSX 2.0 has (if the new FGT comes out) is SH-AWD and hybrid (for sneaking away through the parking lots if the cops came to arrest street racers).

Power-wise the new FGT has more with just the engine.....

Which makes you wonder how much they left on the table. If this thing comes with a 3.5-3.7 liter V6 that's twin turbo charge it all going to come down to the state of tune. I'm guessing that's why they just state north of 550+ so they can just up it like McLaren did with the 12C. Also if this power system has something similar to torque fill like the McLaren P1 it's going to be crazy fast. We'll just have to see once someone gets to test it.

That's more than doubled the price the original price 65k and close to being doubled than the later ones that were 88k.
The prices is going to keep this a very low volume car. I wonder how long they will produce this car? Doubt 14 hours like the original.

I hope to get to drive it but not sure if I want to own it.

If the FGT 3.0 is built with more power and at a lower price point (most likely due to no electric motor and extra stuff) then the NSX 2.0 will have the same volume fate as the NSX 1.0...... maybe even worse since back then there wasn't anything that threatened the NSX 1.0 in terms of a similar or lower priced rear-mid engine car.

Add the C7 Z06 to the bunch and GTR and now the NSX 2.0 has some serious struggles.

Oh and the R8.

Oh and the affordable McLaren....

Yup. They made all the dumb mistakes they made on the first one.

Another V6? For gods sake a small V8 wouldn't have been any more money to produce. They have the technology.

Squint and it looks like a Eclpise or Audi TT. Nobody mistakes a 458 for anything else (or 911, or Ford GT, or GTR)..

$150s? You know that means $159,995 before a single option. Add nav, etc etc you're going to be just shy of $200K and everyone knows it.

JDM supercar made in Ohio? Designed by an american woman who self admitted she never even drew a car until her mid 20s?

No manual transmission option? Hybrid? Sony Explode speaker shaped plastic covering the engine bay?

Not gonna lie, we all saw this coming since they pulled the plug on the much sexier HSC.

Looks fantastic but... and its a big but.... Honda made a HUGE mistake at pricing the car at $155,000 imo. And I cannot stress ths enough, that price point, if it stays, will kill the NSX. Should have started in the 130s at the most, crank up the price bit by bit for following years and offer Type R for MY2018 for 170k.

I'm afraid this car has the same destiny as LFA, the thing is that people want these three things for $150K (or at least 2 out of 3)

1) Name
2) Looks
3) Sound

and this car has neither...it's just Acura that looks like crossover between R8 and Eclipse and having front end that looks like TL, turbo engine certainly won't sound exhilarating

it will be fast but so is GTR for half the price

Not looking like this will be a success. The NSX needs to have a lower price.

I think it's a good looking car but to me the biggest downsides are:

1. Price. Price. Price.
2. No earth shattering innovations. The original NSX had an all aluminum body, variable valve timing, and titanium connecting rods.
3. No manual option. Why show Senna doing his loafer thing?
4. Revs. An NSX should rev to the sky.

- - - Updated - - -

Not looking like this will be a success. The NSX needs to have a lower price.

Begs the question...will they pull a Viper and lower the price to boost sales?

The new Ford GT makes this NSX look very tame.

So the price is very high. Too high for me by a long shot. I feel that folks that can fork over north of 130k for a car won't be too terribly concerned about an additional 30k. Maybe they will but I doubt it. I think the biggest hurdle is that it's a Honda and people will be a bit apprehensive about spending 170,000 bucks for a Honda. If I was a multi millionaire I would consider it but, alas, I am a mere thousandaire and do not have the funds to support such a purchase. I'd still like to drive one though.

Honda doesn't give a shit about guys like us anymore: Car enthusiasts. They care about one thing making money and they will sell out of the new x every year because there is many people that have disposable income and will buy the car because they like it. Probly never owned a gen1. Maybe a handful. Jd cross for one...Honda is not the company it used to be as far as servicing the needs and wants of car enthusiasts those days are gone. It's all about the dollar. I for one going to enjoy my gen 1 for what it was and what it is, which is a lot more I can say for the new one.

Biggest negative is that it was unveiled alongside the Ford GT, which completely stole the show imo. If they are at the same price point, i cant understand how anyone would choose the nsx over the gt.

The new GTR is like $120k i think, so it's not half the price.

Starting MSRP * $101,770

and they were like 75-80K first gen no? That's the number I had in mind so I said half the price but even at "only" >50% more what is the new NSX offering for that money over the GTR? Slightly less fuel consumption? I doubt that will have influence on supercar owners...

Ok I feel the wrath already brewing for this comment but you guys bitching is INSANE. This car is far beyond what any of us expected and all that is being talked about is price and power pretty much. Has anyone seen mention of weight? what im getting at is we have NO CLUE what this is going to be capable of and to be honest, I'm afraid and I think the competition should be too, for comparison:

The fastest real world proven car year to year is pretty much the 911 turbo S (180k)
Take that car into comparison with this new NSX
560hp - 550+hp... I have a feeling too that they will do like Mclaren did as Wickeddeus mentioned. They are probably trying to prolong it as much as possible to wait for the main competition, the 458t
but based off power alone, this car will already challenge the 911 pretty hard and the 911 doesnt really have much in the looks department if you ask me
and finally for power, if you look at the gtr in numbers, theres no way anyone could predict it would be as fast as it is with its weight.
anyway, on to the powertrain 9 SPEED.
Why is this not being talked about more, no one has tried this in a performance car and im excited as hell for it.
and finally, the electric powertrain provides major benefits in the realm of performance that we have all seen, even from the WEAK i8.

honda wouldnt just throw this out there if it wont perform, this is there reputation at its most vulnerable
idk, but paying 30k less for all of this over a "slower" 911 is nothing to bitch about imo

Agreed the Ford GT is much better looking IMO. The NSX styling is a little too tame, I really wish they did a better job for that kind of coin. However the price point is a little under the Porsche Turbo S so maybe they will sell a few.

Production numbers will be limited. Ted confirmed that. It will keep demand higher than supply, and $150k isn't an issue for those who want it and and can afford it. There are plenty people that can afford that, and the rest will lease it, like they did in 1991. Back in 1991, the price was $60k. That was about half the cost of an average home. Is $150k about half the cost of an average home today??? well?
I know plenty of people that have spent >$100k on cars with much less technology that this has. There isn't a shortage of people to buy this car.

There is still plenty unknown about this car. The fact that Acura released a new production car without a final price tag, is pretty stupid. The second question is always "how much?", right after, "horse power?". Without those answers being available today, it is still a pre-release.

What I have seen, I like. It is New, Sport, and eXperimental. It is a leap of technology. Only Porsche 918 has this level of technology in the drive train, and it sells for $1M. It will be a pleasure to drive, it looks to be set up for track and it will turn heads. What else do you want?

I have no feel on the style since the concept car, not impressed by its looks today, either. In my words, the 2nd generation is an American designed supercar. Of course, the price is beyond a lot of people's expectation. By the way, there is no doubt it will outperform some exotic cars today. If it doesn't, Honda must be smoking.

LOL, I still like the 1st generation more, and maybe I am getting old and stuck in the past? however, I will try to get my 2nd nsx asap in my life, and it must be RED.

NSX 1.0 was almost exactly half the price of the equvalent Ferrari at the time, and it arguably outshined it in every way except the engine.

NSX 2.0 is going to be more like 80% of the price of the 458 Ferrari. That's not insignificant. And honestly, in looks, power, price and performance I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all.

This thing is fast heading on it's way into LFA territory in the pile of short lived curiosity cars. With McLaren, the new Lambos, Audi R8, Ferrari and Porsche all fighting for the doctors and lawyers who can afford these, the Honda is going to be left way behind.

If you have the cash for a $180K car, which is what this will be even moderately optioned NSX will be, you'll probably skip over your local Acura dealer's cute little electric hybrid car.

Honda 'fanboys' will leap even hardered into the GTR club, and the exotic guys won't have any interest in a V6 hyrbid semi-exotic Honda.

NSX 1.0 was almost exactly half the price of the equvalent Ferrari at the time, and it arguably outshined it in every way except the engine.

NSX 2.0 is going to be more like 80% of the price of the 458 Ferrari. That's not insignificant. And honestly, in looks, power, price and performance I don't even think this time it's going to be a contest at all.

This thing is fast heading on it's way into LFA territory in the pile of short lived curiosity cars. With McLaren, the new Lambos, Audi R8, Ferrari and Porsche all fighting for the doctors and lawyers who can afford these, the Honda is going to be left way behind.

If you have the cash for a $180K car, which is what this will be even moderately optioned NSX will be, you'll probably skip over your local Acura dealer's cute little electric hybrid car.

Honda 'fanboys' will leap even hardered into the GTR club, and the exotic guys won't have any interest in a V6 hyrbid semi-exotic Honda.

A new 458 is over 300k....

Back