• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2018 F1 Thread

So much of the same things had been said about F1 champs. Ayrton was heavily criticized in his early and some later days. He was plain dangerous in F3. (Can you just imagine what would be said if Max would put Lewis in the weeds,on the first turn of the first lap and pretty much admit to having done it on purpose. Senna did it)
Redbull has recently said that Vettel was much worse than Max in his early days. You must remember how vicious some Primers were about Seb. Many greats have been accused of hooliganism on the track. Maybe that gives them that very small edge they have over the “regular” champs like Stewart, Prost, Hakkinen, Hill, Coulthard and the likes. IMO of course.

Verstappen is one great natural talent. It's just a matter of time for him to grab his first title. I predict great future battles between him and Ricciardo.

So much of the same things had been said about F1 champs. Ayrton was heavily criticized in his early and some later days. He was plain dangerous in F3. (Can you just imagine what would be said if Max would put Lewis in the weeds,on the first turn of the first lap and pretty much admit to having done it on purpose. Senna did it)
Redbull has recently said that Vettel was much worse than Max in his early days. You must remember how vicious some Primers were about Seb. Many greats have been accused of hooliganism on the track. Maybe that gives them that very small edge they have over the “regular” champs like Stewart, Prost, Hakkinen, Hill, Coulthard and the likes. IMO of course.

Absolutely.
There is a balance and right now he is off balance, in my opinion. But he has the talent of a champion.
Sienna and Prost! I was a teenager during their conflict. The “Professor” was cleaner, and precise, Senna just pure effort and will mixed with a hard edge.
Some is image! Hamilton is a pretty ruthless driver, but seems to always spin an incident as the other guy.
By the way, was David Coulthard a champion? I don’t remember him ever making it to the peak.
Where would you put Il Lione (aka Nigel Mansell)? Good guy or bad boy?

You're correct. Coulthard was never Champ but came close a couple of times. IMO Mansell is up there, close to the top. Definitely a Bad Boy after all the shananigans with Piquet and Patrese at Williams. But his exploits in F1, Cart and Sports cars earned him a place amongst the top 10 drivers of all times if I remember correctly. If you ever get to watch the 1989 Hungarian GP where he charged from the back and won the race after making that amazing pass over Senna, you would be convinced.

Absolutely.
There is a balance and right now he is off balance, in my opinion. But he has the talent of a champion.
Sienna and Prost! I was a teenager during their conflict. The “Professor” was cleaner, and precise, Senna just pure effort and will mixed with a hard edge.
Some is image! Hamilton is a pretty ruthless driver, but seems to always spin an incident as the other guy.
By the way, was David Coulthard a champion? I don’t remember him ever making it to the peak.
Where would you put Il Lione (aka Nigel Mansell)? Good guy or bad boy?

No doubt Mansell is one of the greats. He may not have been the best natural talent, but gave 100% of blood and sweat. Was a perfect fit for Ferrari with his passion.
I have his autograph from the US GP in Phoenix.
Do you happen to remember a race where he would run wide on one turn every lap onto what was like an auxiliary part of the track and ran down the leaders?

I don't know how to say this but I missed practice 2 because of well one the programming on ESPN is not very good I don't even know if practiced 2 has gone on I'm just down in the dumps because of that I've been watching everything about Formula One since 1980 going to races taping them and I hate to miss the Practice qualify for race

There's a website called F1pick6.com what it is it Is you have to pick the first 10 finishers of the race and you get points like first place is 25 points Second place is 18 third is 15 and so on and at the end of the year if you finish first second or third You get your picture on the site you get to say something, about the year no big deal I've been playing it 15 years maybe I can't remember when I started but it makes things interesting check it out I think you might like it

I don't know how to say this but I missed practice 2 because of well one the programming on ESPN is not very good I don't even know if practiced 2 has gone on I'm just down in the dumps because of that I've been watching everything about Formula One since 1980 going to races taping them and I hate to miss the Practice qualify for race

Don't fret. You can watch the replay on www.watchespn.com Just login in using your cable credentials.

mwagner, I want to thank you I'm not bummed anymore I will keep that website Close if I ever meet you I'll buy you a pint or a gallon have a great evening check out that website I put up there there's people from all over the world playing

I don't know what's with scheduling on ESPN or should I say DirecTV but all I got this morning was practice three no qualifying so I'll watch it on the Watch ESPN that again thank you for that

Miner, why ?
There was some real good drivng, some real good strategies, a good serving of Lady Luck interference. All in all, some real excitement!
Maybe a fiasco for Bottas, Red Bull, Vettel and Grosjean but not sure a fiasco for F1. IMO,of course.

Miner, why ?
There was some real good drivng, some real good strategies, a good serving of Lady Luck interference. All in all, some real excitement!
Maybe a fiasco for Bottas, Red Bull, Vettel and Grosjean but not sure a fiasco for F1. IMO,of course.

My dislike for the race centers about the lack of a F1 caliber track support. The course workers seem to be confused / inept at removing debris / cars. It took 2 or 3 laps for the tow truck to lift Grosjean's car off the track (not to mention the track workers out there without any hard hats / helmets. Heck, even Hamilton was talking about the debris on the track that should be cleaned whilst they were under the safety car.

The same thing happened last year. The track has grown on me, but the support infrastructure seems amateurish to me. Certainly not to F1 standards.

Sorry, I misunderstood you. You are absolutely right. The event was not supported well by the locals. Needs Lots of improvements for next year.

My dislike for the race centers about the lack of a F1 caliber track support. The course workers seem to be confused / inept at removing debris / cars. It took 2 or 3 laps for the tow truck to lift Grosjean's car off the track (not to mention the track workers out there without any hard hats / helmets. Heck, even Hamilton was talking about the debris on the track that should be cleaned whilst they were under the safety car.

The same thing happened last year. The track has grown on me, but the support infrastructure seems amateurish to me. Certainly not to F1 standards.

Drive of the day for me was Alonso. How he was able to salvage 7th after a double puncture the first lap is beyond me. Well...I suppose five drivers (Ocon, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Grosjean and Bottas) dropping out ahead of him certainly helped. On another note, the San Antonio F1 market continues to get no respect from ESPN. Race was tape delayed over 12 hours (aired at 9:00 p.m. Central) and as an added benefit, was also interrupted with commercials. Nearly impossible to prevent spoilers in that amount of time (I have several friends/relatives who also watch). Fortunately, I don't have to worry about seeing any F1 news by accident. Shoot...I doubt you'd even catch a word about it on Sportscenter. Anyway...enough of my belly aching...on to Spain!

I found the race to be an exciting race, lots of mid field racing, plus the restart....The track support servicing was a Joke....not as effective as Monoco.

Another incident involving MAX.....moving around in the braking zone....he is going to kill someone

Bram

Another incident involving MAX.....moving around in the braking zone....he is going to kill someone

I'm with you on double move under braking. Though some people started to take position claiming there was one move under braking and second move wasn't. What they fail to see is that it's semantics as the underlying idea for that rule is to avoid unpredictability after the commitment point. I think Brundle said it the best - there is a point when approaching corner when you're not tracking what's behind or on the side but you're looking towards the exit. So all the shuffling has to be sorted prior to that very point.

Back