• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The quickest way to lose $200,000

My fiancée and I met a couple of friends for Mexican food and margaritas last night at a restaurant that sits on Preston road (a 6 lane divided thoroughfare). At one point later in the meal, I heard a couple of cars racing southbound. Though I could not see them clearly due to my vantage point, I could tell by the sound that these were no boy-racers in their accords. To the best of my abilities, one looked like a 911, and all I could tell about the other was that is was little and red. About 5 minutes later, I heard them coming back northbound. Wondering what they were, I stood up to get a look. Just as they came into view, the now obvious 360 Modena, in an effort to get around slower traffic, swung around somebody in the far right lane. His rear-end gets loose as he swings back to the right, and he goes into a 250 yard slide, culminating in a 180, narrowly missing the 911 Twin Turbo. What stopped his progress, you might ask? That would be a curb. The ensuing metallic crunch was horrific. After almost rolling, the car came to rest on all fours. Even worse than the sound of him hitting the curb, was the sound of him trying to drive off after stopping. I guess it would best be described by a combination of intense metal on metal grinding and a dentist’s drill going full blast. Needless to say, the car was trashed, and not going anywhere.
On our way out, there were a couple of waiters standing around watching the commotion. After talking to them, it turns out that the two drivers were in the restaurant at the bar just before they went racing, and one of the waiters was in the Ferarri when it happened. Said they were blowing through 130 when they almost died. The poor guy was more than visibly shaken.
We drove by when we left, acting like we were going into Dickey’s BBQ, just to get a closer look at the damage. All I can say is ouch. Both of the left wheels were damaged like I’ve never seen. The 5 spokes had actually separated from the outside of the wheel, and the suspension was bent in at a good 30 degree angle. And the kicker to the whole thing…..it still had the paper tag’s on it. I’m thinking that was not prescribed in break-in procedure.
Anyway, just thought I would share this with everybody. A free little reminder that if your going to race on the street, do it somewhere that’s not crowded, and don’t do it after drinking.

Yep, that be Canonita. A couple of things clued me off to the location. For starters, there aren't very many Mexican restaurants and Dickey's BBQ pits across from each other on Preston. Second, I can't think of any other place besides North Plano/Frisco where traffic would be remotely clear enough for street racing.

Those guys were definitely lucky. I've noticed that Frisco and Plano PD have been out on the prowl more than usual lately. Or rather, those guys were unlucky that the Plano PD didn't catch'em street racing... maybe that would have saved their cars.

BTW, I ate at Lil Mignon a few months ago. It was ok, but I wasn't overall impressed. Very trendy, but the price you pay goes more towards the trendiness than the food, if you know what I mean.

Cheers!

Michael.

Back