• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The saga of my car purchase and first trip

So long past due, here's the story of my car buy and our first highway trip...

This is a car that I had been dreaming out for like 10 years and never thought I would be able to afford having one.. well, after finally earning some dough, I figured you only live once... So after scanning autotrader for about 3 months looking for the right NSX for me, I finally found... about a month ago... a gorgeous '00 NSX-T with 12K miles sitting in a dealership in Chicago, crying out to me 1000 miles away from where I live, here in Dallas.

I quickly put a deposit on the car, and bought a 1 way plane ticket to Chicago... My wife was set to join me in Chicago and if the car checked out, we would drive it down to Dallas over the weekend...

I started reading the posts on NSXprime and made the aquaintance of Sean Williams and Mystican who agreed to meet me on the Saturday I was flying in to help me check out the car...

Well, once I arrived, I was hooked. The car looked awesome, shimmering in the sunlight.. I was ready to buy right there and then, but Sean and Mystican brought me to my senses and enlightened as to the wisdom of checking out the car first. Sean and Mystican checked it very carefully, gave me some great pointers and other than imperceptible rock chips, told me it looked clean as a whistle. We then took the car down to get it inspected by a certified acura tech who said it was mechanically 100% perfect. The day was getting late and I had to make time to make it back by Monday morning for work. I'd like to once again thank Sean and Mystican here and I am sorry we did not have time for lunch and I will definitely treat you guys to lunch and drinks at a future NSX event.

Anyways, late afternoon, my wife and I started to cruise down the highway towards Dallas. It took a few moments to get used to the tight suspension on the highway, but once we did, the ride was the most comfortable ride my wife and I had ever driven - and we've driven cross country twice in several different sedan comfort cars. The only thing I did not expect was all the attention the car would get... on the highway, many people would point and stare and at most gas stations, people would come up and say, "wow... what a beautiful car.. what kind of car is that?" As for performance, most cars I have driven would protest somewhat when you stepped on the gas and revved the RPMs past 4 or 5... not the NSX.. it was very very difficult to drive it at only 60MPH.. when you stepped on the gas, the sound the exhaust made was a sigh of relief.. like... finally, the lion can stretch out... no protest... just a happy-to-be-alive kind of sound.... the exhaust made such a beautiful melody, that we had no need to listen to the car radio or cassette deck, even though we brought all these cassettes for the trip. Anyways, the trip was a total pleasure.

We stayed at a Best Western motel on the first night of the trip and would check on the car every five minutes to make sure it was still there... it felt eerily dreamlike to have this car.. The next morning, it was raining and we were both very concerned about the NSX getting wet.. well it turned out to be a very cool experience in itself.. the NSX felt far more stable in the rain than any sedan I have had... maintaining great traction and control on the highway. Also, as the rain was falling lightly, the water would clear along the aerodynamic lines of the car, without using any wipers... my wife likened it to being in a jet-plane, and evaoprating the water droplets on contact.. we actually took pictures and i'm not sure if they turned out well, but you can judge for yourself below....within a couple of hours, the rain cleared up and we made good time the next day, arriving earlier than anticipated in Dallas.

Overall, the trip was a fantastic experience and I am so happy and excited with this car.. even almost two weeks later, I still cant believe I own a car of such craftsmanship and beauty. It inspired my wife and me to take some pictures which I tried uploading below and it also inspired my wife (an amazing musician) to pen a few songs, which I will upload at some point if I ever have time... Well, that's the story of my NSX buy and first drive..

Originally, I thought this would be a daily driver, but at this point, I feel like pampering the car with trafficless open roads and this will probably be just a fun weekend car from now on...

Now for some props...
Once again, big thanks to Sean Williams and Mystican
Sorry... O-Ace, that we never got in touch... my schedule was kind of hectic that weekend...
Shout out to Susan at Goodson Acura who hooked me up with a car cover, and gave me an awesome tour of the dealership
Also, big props to big-D in Dallas, who has helped me tremendously with my buy, NSX enthusiasm and who will soon be getting an NSX of his own!

Attachments

• small-front1.jpg
    small-front1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 812
  • small-side2.jpg
    small-side2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 812
  • small-side3.jpg
    small-side3.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 794
  • is it f16 cockpit or nsx cockpit.jpg
    is it f16 cockpit or nsx cockpit.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
By the way, if anyone has more info on the car, including previous owner, etc.. that would be cool to know... I bought it from an Acura dealership and was told it was previously owned by a Honda/Acura manager/rep in California..
The VIN is JH4NA2160YT000025

Thanks!

On the trip, we knew finally arived home, when we saw the following sign...
As the saying goes... EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas...

Attachments

• watch out for these in texas.jpg
    watch out for these in texas.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
I can never decide if I want to keep or sell my S2000. It's stories like this that motivate me to put it back in the classifieds in hopes of getting closer to my own NSX ownership :)

Congrat's on the purchase... I talked to Sean last night and he told me the whole story glad you made it home alright and good luck with the NSX.

Last edited:
Congrats on the NSX - she's a beaut!

I think that it is safe to assume that the car will tollerate rain quite well. Driving it is loving it.

Dave22, I sold my 01 S2000 for my 02 NSX and although I promptly put the car in storage for the winter (my S2000 was a 12 month daily driver, not the NSX, well not yet anyways), dont listen to some of the fools over at S2ki who suggest that the difference between an S2000 and a NSX is trivial. There is a massive difference. In performance. In feel. In spirit. In everything. Its just in an entirely different league. Id revisit your NSX lust.

It was very much my pleasure to meet you and your wife, and I'm glad to have helped out. The car is beautiful, and I'm sure it will provide years of enjoyment. I hope to see you at one of the upcoming NSX events!

Regards,
Sean

Thanks for the write up on your experience. It makes me more and more anxious to get mine out of storage :biggrin:

You'll love every minute of that car!!!

skinnydoc said:
By the way, if anyone has more info on the car, including previous owner, etc.. that would be cool to know... I bought it from an Acura dealership and was told it was previously owned by a Honda/Acura manager/rep in California..
The VIN is JH4NA2160YT000025

Thanks!

Congrats on the new car! You may try calling the dealership in CA with the VIN and see if they can pull up any history, but then I'd think the acura dealer where you bought the car should be able to pull that up for you.

NsXMas said:
Congrats!!! This reminds me of martin's story when he bought his NSX from Gheba. Very nice read. Enjoy!!

Hi

It reminded me of my trip too. :)

Very nice write up. I know exactly how you feel. :)

Enjoy your car for many years. I have the same excitement now waiting for winter to clear. Will be a lot of fun to let the NSX stretch it's legs again.

Regards

dave22 said:
I can never decide if I want to keep or sell my S2000

What part of the planet are you on? I am sure we can arrange a test flight. If close to West TN this weekend, PM me.

Congrats on the buy and great choice in color. :D

I do know what you mean. It's been raining where I live and I've only driven the car a few times since I pick her up a few weeks ago. Last night, I felt just as you have; it's almost like a dream owning this car. I can't wait for some clear weather so I can let her stretch her legs. :D

White94 said:
What part of the planet are you on? I am sure we can arrange a test flight. If close to West TN this weekend, PM me.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough...

I would love to have BOTH, but I can't afford both right now. If I sell the S2000, then it's gone. But if I wait just a little longer I may be able to keep the S2000 AND get an NSX.

I've already had plenty of "test flights" so there's no need to convert me :biggrin:

I WILL have an NSX but I want to wait and do it right. If I get rid of the S2000, I want to have enough money to make my NSX at least as fast as my S2000 as soon as I buy it :)

I'm thinking by June I should be ready, but until then I have to settle for stories like this one :)

You and many of us who have the pleasure of owning a car like this can relate to this story.
I still remember the day I purchase my car and drove it back to Oakville Ontario(Canada) from Ohio, and of course the drive!!!!

Bram

Congrats Doc...

Your story is a warm rememberance of my trip from Portland, OR to pick up my 00' from Brookfield Acura in Milwaukei, WS a year ago last September. It was a memorable experience...everything , from the dealership experience to the drive home. It is a special experience to bond with a new car the way we have. Best of luck and enjoy!

T.C.

Congrats on the NSX-T purchase!! Now that you have seen what the car is like on the highway you must put even more miles on it....hehehe......excellent. :D

-Nice write up. Congrats. can you post larger pics though :biggrin:

-So many new Texas Owners. Awesome!!

Note to Ojas: when is TEXPO 2005 :wink:

NSXLuvr said:
-Nice write up. Congrats. can you post larger pics though :biggrin:

-So many new Texas Owners. Awesome!!

How do I post larger pics? The size of the pics I can post appears limited....

Congrats Skinnydoc! This must be the car that was on Ebay a few weeks ago (not many newer NSXs in Il, so it stands out) that didn't meet reserve. When I followed the auction I wanted to go check it out in person. But, a couple days after it ended I went to the dealer's website and it was gone. :frown: Did you get a good deal? Also, a question on the color : What's the difference in silvers of '97 and this one?

MoreRPMs said:
Congrats Skinnydoc! This must be the car that was on Ebay a few weeks ago (not many newer NSXs in Il, so it stands out) that didn't meet reserve. When I followed the auction I wanted to go check it out in person. But, a couple days after it ended I went to the dealer's website and it was gone. :frown: Did you get a good deal? Also, a question on the color : What's the difference in silvers of '97 and this one?

Thanks MoreRPMS... yes, the car was on ebay, but I bought it outside of ebay (the ebay deal didnt include the 1 yr Acura precertified warranty)... i think I got a fair deal... not a good deal, not a bad deal, just a fair price.

As for silver in the year 2000, my understanding is that it is a different silver color... called silverstone, which is darker in tone than the previous silvers (kaiser silver and sebring silver). I am very happy with the color - it gets a lot of positive comments...

Good luck in your search, MoreRPMS - I cannot say enough good things about the car...

Will, it was great to hear that you met some of the local die- hard long timers. I just had to give kudos to your wife..not all women can pack light enough for an NSX road trip :tongue:
Cya soon,
Susan

Back