• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Trapped Scrape Tragedy (I-lift the only option)?

I recently lowered the car 23mm to the lower perch on the Bilsteins the car is currently running. After a few small test drives and setting the alignment to my spec I took her out (the wife too) for some Korean fried chicken. All was well until after dinner, we left the parking lot and I ran into this dilemma. The exit onto the street was very narrow and this did not allow for an approach angle that was conducive to my front lip. Sure enough I hear (and feel) a momentary scraping that permeates the cockpit. At this point I am sort of stuck on what to do as there are three cars behind me waiting to exit and getting impatient as I am moving forward millimeters at a time. Deep breath!

I decide forward is the only option so I move forward slowly, very slowly. At this point the scraping noise is really loud and I can actually feel it like it was my knee. I hesitate, and try reversing slowly but I can feel the lip catching and I know this is the surest way to rip the entire lip off. So forward it is. As I move forward inches at a time it becomes louder and louder and I'm convinced I'll be leaving some beautifully painted polyurethane in grinds on the road. Suddenly I hit the right angle and I am free to go. On the drive home I am dreading the inspection which after all the dread turns out to be not that bad. The underside of the lip is pretty scraped up but you can never tell unless you were looking at it from the bottom you could never tell.

After thinking about it a bit, I realized that given the same situation I could not have done anything else short of carrying around some 2x4's and using them in like situations. Is i lift or other air lifts the only solution? What do you guys do? Are lips considered consumables? Thanks in advance, that was not something I want to experience again. :biggrin:

Lips are definitely consumables. That's why I've used the OEM lips on mine for the past 15 years and 70k miles. They take a lot of abuse and are inexpensive to replace. I don't think they look as good as aftermarket, but I've tried to paint mine with flexible paint (I don't have a black car) and jazz it up a bit:

View attachment 155703

Or, lift kits are more popular these days too and the prices have come way down. There are two basic designs out there for the pistons. The original Japanese Roberuta design that Umbrella copied where you have concentric cylinders, or the other style like Stance, iLift, and a bunch of others that seal on the shock shaft and the outer aluminum cup. Both designs work well.

Unfortunately, if you like a low car, adding a good 1 inch cup thickness to the remaining shock stroke severely limits the rest of your compression travel to where you have to run a very hard spring. As I've gotten older and have moved around to an area with crummy roads (Midwest), I'm at the point where I want softer springs and ride. My new setup will use softer 8 kg/mm front springs (450 lb/in). The vendor putting this together is going to great lengths to ensure as much compression and droop travel as possible at my desired ride height, incorporating a 30 mm thick lift kit. They're making progress in this thread if you're interested:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/207159-Performance-Shock-Inc-Ohlins-TTX?p=1979422#post1979422

Mac Attack, that looks great! I don't think the effect would be as noticeable on a black car unfortunately. I am in the same boat as you. In my older age I am leaning towards a comfortable suspension. That being said the loss of travel with a lift kit is not really attractive to me. Please keep us posted on the progress. Thanks!

This is why I don't drive my NSX (3inches off the ground) to any place that I'm not familiar with. Better to take the SUV to dinner and use NSX for weekend canyon drives. 😊

Ughh..... I know this feeling. I've run into bad scrapes here and there. Thankfully nothing big but I did end up with stress fractures on my beautiful front bumper.

My bumper has scrape pads that you commonly see from skateboards drilled into the bottom. It allows you to survive the scrape but still keep your bumper intact. Doesn't help with the fact that my car is so low though....

Ughh..... I know this feeling. I've run into bad scrapes here and there. Thankfully nothing big but I did end up with stress fractures on my beautiful front bumper.

My bumper has scrape pads that you commonly see from skateboards drilled into the bottom. It allows you to survive the scrape but still keep your bumper intact. Doesn't help with the fact that my car is so low though....

Thats a brilliant idea, you can get deleon in almost any shape and size! I think I still have some of my old knee pucks that are ground down.

I have had it with the front lip of my car. I'm on my 2nd one in the last year and it is trashed. I was going to go with the carbon fiber mini front lip but Pole 2 Flag Racing has not started production. I will post pictures as I customize this lip to fit my car.

View attachment 155864

I received the lip yesterday and ordered flat head bolts with washers and have to drill holes. This should solve a lot of problems but there could be a downforce issue.

I don't think that would look good. I imagine it flapping around, ripping, etc. I think this will look good. I'm thinking I may position it back so that not much sticks out on the front. I can then shave off part of the back so it is flush with the wheel wells.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only owner dealing with this frustrating height issue. I can't understand how you guys could buy those painted lower front lips and not have chips in them.

I don't think that would look good. I imagine it flapping around, ripping, etc. I think this will look good. I'm thinking I may position it back so that not much sticks out on the front. I can then shave off part of the back so it is flush with the wheel wells.

So the previous owner installed some kind of flexible lip. I didn't even know until I touched it and it felt like a sponge. I think it matches decent enough but my car is black so it's less noticeable.

View attachment 155865

That looks great and it is about an inch shorter than the standard OEM lip. I'm going to try out this one. It arrived yesterday. First I have to take off the old one and make sure the bumper is good. I think I'm going to put a few more clips in since there are extra slots in the bumper. The OEM clip takes 13 bolts.

View attachment 155866

I worked on it till late last night. Had to cut out some to clear wheel well vents on sides. Also replaced several 10mm bolts with these great flat hex nuts I bought on Amazon. All of the oem bolts were replaced with flat hex with cool washers. I think I gained some good clearance. It was tough to line it up but I think it looks good.

View attachment 155869View attachment 155870View attachment 155871

Last edited:
Ken's lip looks great! Gained a bit of clearance as well. Pole 2 Flag had one carbon lip built but the vendor suddenly moved out of state due to unfriendly Calif. biz climate but agreed to build 5. Now he is too backed up to make it for us:frown:. He keeps promising but no delivery. Big apology to Ken. We will have to go get the mould and build it ourself. Its a small lip that comes straight out from the oem location so it won't generate any downforce. It gains ~1.25" of ground clearance.

There is a range how much you can lower your car without affecting the handling. We had one guy on a club drive with a car is slammed....it was not handling well even on the freeway so had to pulled off early but sure looks cool. IIRC, you can also measure from the lifting points and I think the lowest was 4"/4.25" frt/rear to keep within the proper suspension geometry in check.

looks more finished than having no lip for those needing the extra approach angle.

Uh oh

Checked back on Amazon and it is not available.

[COLOR=#555555 !important]GT-Speed made Universal Valance V2 PU Front Bumper Lip Flat Splitter Plate Under Panel Diffuser Chin Spoiler BMW E60 BENZ C250 C300 (MEASURE YOUR BUMPER BEFORE PURCHASE - 67"L x 21"D)
[/COLOR]

• [*=center]

[*=center]

[*=center]

[*=center]

[*=center]

[*=center]

[*=center]

[COLOR=#B12704 !important]Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Just a few weeks ago, I purchased a stock, OEM front lip for my slightly lowered 95.I don't need it... now. But I figured someday I will need it... and it might be unavailable. So I tucked it away in storage for a rainy day.I also put a note in my maintenance binder as to where this item, and the stock exhaust, airbox, floor mats, swag, etc is "hidden"... on the unfortunate case in which my wife needs to sell the NSX... and I'm not around!!! (Im kind of a nut that way)

I would love to add an even more subtle lip than the OEM or Kenwould posted. Are there any other alternatives out there. Trying to have some lip, but not reduce clearance up front.

Back