• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Viper guys are saying some nice things...

I don’t mean to get off on a tangent on this thread but what do Porsche owners think of the NSX?[/B][/QUOTE]

Edwardo I will answer it. I love the NSX.
I have 2 Friends that also have both, they seem to feel the same way. Have another friend that has a 996TT, he is looking for a NSX now. The NSX drives totally different from Porsche's (I have never driven a boxer)
The 911 series cars up until 98 are more of a challenge. The NSX is point and go. It makes me look like a good driver on the track. I still get the trash talking on the track. But that stops after about the second session. (After I warm up) Then it's nothing but reluctant respect. I own both makes, and I am not a quiet person. If the person is a die hard CAR NUT, they like the NSX if they are Make/Mark loyal they can't see past their cars.(sad) 99% of the comments I got at the DE's were of admiration.
Len
n9s5x-t

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Who cares?

iamwithstupid.gif

[This message has been edited by Wadasan (edited 26 January 2003).]

Who cares?

I do or I would not have asked the question.

Len3.8, thank you for responding to my question. I go to rennlist all the time and read about 911's. The 911 is one of my favorite cars.

Originally posted by huckster:
well, of course they arent as nice as us
wink.gif
, but i actually thought they were pretty cool about it. Plenty of backhanded compliments towards the nsx. But I KNOW what randall was talking about---GM's resale value really really sucks--I hope that doesnt also wind up effecting the vipers. The used car market in general is really depreciated--but for domestics it is absolutely horrible.

Yeah, the Viper resale value isn't too bad. The Z06 resale value is terrible right now. Although 0% financing does play a small role so it makes sense to buy new. But anyways, this is good news to me since I can settle for a newer Z06 model preferably '02 or maybe even '03. I'm still struggling to see whether I can get a '97 NSX instead without breaking out of my budget range.

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 26 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Wadasan:

iamwithstupid.gif

Wadasan, I do not appreciate your post. My comment may have been stupid (and I apologized for it), but please refrain from calling me stupid. There is no need for personal attacks on a fine board like this.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 26 January 2003).]

For what its worth, Randall traded in a 00 GTS w/several mods. If i remember he indicated they were giving him mid 50's trade-in value. His car is currently running the the KC Star @ $58,417 w/5k in mileage. Randall would be better suited on his final #'s, but thats one skinny margin to work with as a dealer. Does that tell us anything about the market place right now?

The entire auto market for sellers is in a sad state of affairs right now, with the exception of a minority few (like the SL55 that AaronR is unable to find for less than $10k above sticker, and the 350Z/G35 coupe). A fellow Mustang owner couldn't get a trade-in offer above $16.5k on his car that he paid almost $10k more for last year, and a co-worker just told me someone traded in a loaded spankin' new 2001 Avalon at her sister's dealer for only $15k.

yeah, ive posted elsewhere about my horrible cadillac escalade experience. They are giving them away now(used). Best offer i got on my 00 with 41kmiles was 24.5k and I took it. The cadillac dealer only wanted to give 18k$ on the trade value??!! UNbelievable. byby cadillac(s). HELLO VOLVO!!!

Wadasan, I do not appreciate your post. My comment may have been stupid (and I apologized for it), but please refrain from calling me stupid. There is no need for personal attacks on a fine board like this.

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 26 January 2003).]

It's not an attack...I'm also a member of the Corvette forum. They use it as to agree with you and not say your stupid. I thought the same thing when it was done to me.
beerchug.gif

[This message has been edited by Wadasan (edited 26 January 2003).]

Originally posted by Wadasan:
It's not an attack...I'm also a member of the Corvette forum. They use it as to agree with you and not say your stupid.

OOPS, my bad. Never mind then
smile.gif

P.S., do you have a Corvette? What kind? I have an 1:18 die-cast model of a 96 Coupe on my display shelf
smile.gif

I do think the Viper guys were a little closed-minded in their response, but a number of them were actually pretty easy-going and respectful. I've seen worse. It's usually like debating which religion has it right, and in that light they really weren't too bad, just disappointed that one of their mates had made friends with the other team.

As for Vipers, they're nice enough, they just don't turn my crank. The ride was a little rough for my tastes, not terrible though. I didn't care for the cockpit with the big coffin down the middle and the enormous hood stretching out in front of me, though I can see how some would appreciate that, knowing all the horses whuffling anxiously underneath it. I prefer the mid-engine approach, where I can see the road right in front of me, feels fast even at legal speeds.
smile.gif

Oh, and for the guy who asked what Porsche owners think of NSXes: I can't say what he thinks of performance and handling, but my brother-in-law, who has owned multiple Porsches, did say he thinks the NSX is "a beautiful car."

Originally quoted by NSXTACY:

"There are also other forums which do not tolerate any positive comment about any other car, and still others which do not tolerate any positive comment about certain other cars while allowing others to be praised."

Supercars.net comes to mind........

I'm an NSX owner... but lets not forget that both the NSX and the Viper were engineered to be road racing sports cars. In this category, the Viper will beat the NSX every time with $5k mods applied on each.

All the other qualities of the NSX is what helps compensate for that one severe difficiency when comparing it to the Viper.

Both are monsters, but if you're on a budget to talk major 'racing' smack... you're better off going with the Viper.

Follow Doug Hayashi of the NSXFiles and you will know what I mean.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
...I find it funny how people slam other makes. The Viper guys think the NSX has no torque. The Ferrari guys think the NSX has no soul. The Corvette guys think the NSX is a poor value...

I think this is an excellent summary of how other owners (by and large) think of the X.

Originally posted by Edwardo:
I don’t mean to get off on a tangent on this thread but what do Porsche owners think of the NSX?

I just sold my 996 Carerra 2 Edwardo, so let me share some perspectives. I think it's a wonderful car -- but more different than the same w.r.t. the X. From a looks perspective, I think its an "acquired taste."
smile.gif
I didn't like it when it first came out, but then the more time I spent time with it, the more I started to appreciate the shape (kind of like the feeling I'm getting with the facelifted '02 X's). I eventually grew to think the 996 has a very sexy silhouette. From a performance standpoint (and without getting into all the nuances, because its late, and I'm tired) let me just say that the 996 has wonderful acceleration (an uneven torque curve though) and excellent braking. The X has beautiful handling, but doesn't give you that "holy cow, i'm getting pushed back in my seat" feeling as often as the Porsche provides it. The shorter shift of the X is wonderful, compared to the long throw of the 996. And I get a lot more looks in my X
wink.gif

So bottom line: what does this (ex-) Porsche owner think of the X? A wonderful car that is giving me an equal dose of fun as the 996 -- albeit in a different way. I still mingle with Porsche owners and you'd be surprised how positive most of them are about the X. In the spirit of honesty, though, I must admit that when the time is right, (hopefully some time towards the end of this year) I will look to return to my Porsche roots and pick up a C4S (see pic below). I think they are a wonderful machine -- in all aspects. Only this time, I'm keeping the X.

Regards.

Arctic%20Silver%20996%20C4S%20--%20Rear.jpg

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 27 January 2003).]

Edwardo,

As a 993 owner myself, I still think the nsx look way better than any 911. The year of 911 you drive shows your status. NSX is a timeless piece of art that will never age in the next 10 years.

I thought u just sold ur X?

Originally posted by nsx2000:
Edwardo,

As a 993 owner myself, I still think the nsx look way better than any 911. The year of 911 you drive shows your status. NSX is a timeless piece of art that will never age in the next 10 years.

I would presume a negative comment a Porsche owner might say about the NSX would be:

WEAK BRAKES

But Yacht the Hay, that's what aftermarket parts are for.

Originally posted by BostonNSX:
I thought u just sold ur X?

He did sell just sell his NSX...to me!
smile.gif

NSXaholic, thank you very much for answering my question about Porsches. I hold a special place in my heart for the 911.

I love the new C4s. If I am not mistaken that is the Porsche which has the more aggresively styled front end. I love that one.

NSX2000-It is good to see you on the forum. The car is running great.

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
I would presume a negative comment a Porsche owner might say about the NSX would be:

WEAK BRAKES...

Yes, I do find this to be the case. Not only does the 911 have excellent brakes, but I do find that brakes are one of weak points of the X.

Originally posted by nsx4fun:
I love the new C4s. If I am not mistaken that is the Porsche which has the more aggresively styled front end. I love that one.

It is. See pics below (different car from one above).

Seal%20Grey%20--%20Front%20Left.jpg

Seal%20Grey%20--%20Back%20Left.jpg

Regards.

[This message has been edited by NSXaholic (edited 29 January 2003).]

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
Yes, I do find this to be the case. Not only does the 911 have excellent brakes, but I do find that brakes are one of weak points of the X.

I find that the reports of weak brakes on the NSX are exaggerated. The NSX brakes work just fine for even the most aggressive street use (and ANY stock braking system can be upgraded for track use).

Check out the test numbers that the magazines have gotten. For example, Road & Track 3/02:

NSX, 60-0 mph: 117 ft
996, 60-0 mph: 117 ft
Z06, 60-0 mph: 118 ft

Of course nsxtasy, you know that those #s mean nothing when it comes to repetitive lap after lap brutalizing.

I think the OE NSX brakes are almost adequate with better brake pads, but then that will affect rotor life considerably. I've read reports that the new Type-R has the same rotor size as the 91-96 NSXs. If that is the case, I believe that it utilizes a much higher capacity pad and the 300lb weight reduction also contributes to the reduced need for a bigger brake system.

most of these viper guys are ok
smile.gif
just be ready to talk some smack!
my local vca president invited me to there meeting last night so they could check out my new nsx and also so i could see the new srt-10,i'll probably get one in the future.
smile.gif

the v.p. is starting an enthusiast club that will enclude vipers,ferraris,nsxs,and lotus.
fcbc54b9.jpg

Back