• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Things to do in Japan?

Hi guys,

I'm heading to Japan at the end of November for about a week. I'll be in Tokyo (Shinjuku area). I'm traveling alone. I know many of you have been to Japan -- could you please share any places I should go, sites I should see, things I should experience? This is my first time in Japan, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks!
-Brian.

I once lived in Okinawa when I was in the USMC. Unfortunately, I don't have any insight on Tokyo. You will love the people and culture though, very friendly!!

I might be in Japan around the same time as you....not sure where in Japan though.

Eat whale meat lol just kidding. I know there is some whale wars fans here on prime.

If you're into consumer electronics (audio/video, home theater, etc.) you MUST go to Akihabara (Electric Town). The Tokyo fish market (Tsukiji Fish Market) is pretty cool too (go at 5AM while you have jet lag).

I've never been there, but I heard that the Ropongi district of Tokyo is the best spot for Americans to go clubbing and meet Japanese people who are interested in meeting Americans

In Tokyo:
-Tsukiji Fish market (ask at your hotel, you probably need to get there really early as they've limited tourists per day to see the auctions)
-Shrine in Asakusa (not Akasaka, dont get them confused)
-Roppongi (Roppongi Crossing) area is good for nightlife (bars/clubs)
-Shibuya station area just to see the crazily dressed young people at night
-Yoyogi park (close to Shinjuku) for quiet contemplation and a very nice museum and shrine
-Walk the streets of Shinjuku/kabukicho at night to observe the various forms of adult entertainment and probably get solicited
-Drink at Park Hyatt Tokyo bar (in Shinjuku)
-Akihabura as someone mentioned for electronics. You can also do any number of geek-related things (go to maid cafe, get your ears cleaned while lying on someone's lap, etc)

Finally, go to the concierge at any good western hotel and ask them to recommend an izakaya (where the common salaryman eats) and a ramen shop ( you cant get ramen like this anywhere else.

If you are into video games, don't miss the Super Potato store. It's nostalgia and then some.

That aside, the best thing I ever did when I was visiting Japan is to learn to use the subway system. We were on a bus tour (which I strongly dislike) and I decided to break off. Once you figure out that subway system, you can literally hit every spot in town you would want to see in no time. It's cheap and way more fun. I think I hit 7 different spots in a single day just using the subway.
Makes you feel like you're exploring the city on your own. Just try to not hit it during rush hours unless you like the sardine life.

Also don't bother looking for trash cans to throw stuff away around town. That's what your pockets are for, lol. Or so I learned.

Last edited:
Japanese girls.:biggrin:

just kidding, have fun.

Hell yeah!!

I once lived in Okinawa when I was in the USMC. Unfortunately, I don't have any insight on Tokyo. You will love the people and culture though, very friendly!!

Good times down in Naha and Gate 2 Street outside of Kadena. ;)

Fish market

Sushi

Noodles

Concur, try different foods. Every country I visit, I try as much of the cuisine as I can.

Back