• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking about going back to stock air filter..

I am not sure I see the fitment issue you raise with my 98-T OEM box and the Unifilter. Sure putting the cover on without first detaching the hose that goes to the intake is a bit difficult - takes a few trials, but I had no problem with one edge not being flush. I checked it with my fingers, and all the screw went all the way.

No fitment issues with the stock box and uni. Fitmen issues on CT airbox with stock filter.

Make sense? :)

I have a CSTC and a CT air box.

I have 2 UNI filters,one in the car, the other cleaned, oiled and ready to go in.

Every 1,000 miles I change the SC oil and UNI filter. Takes 15-20 min tops and I usually have a martini while I'm doing it.:biggrin:

I then clean the UNI I just took out of the car, let it dry over night, oil it next day put it in a Zip Lok bag.

With only 3.5-4 oz of oil in th CTSC it's no much cost to change.

As for the UNI air filter, with the CT box I have it seems to dirty up pretty fast and I want it clean and the car deep breathing.

I change the engine oil/filter every 3-3500 miles. Mobil 1 10w30 but after the tech session by Mobil at Lime Rock I'm going to switch to Mobil1 5w30 providing it doesn't increase oil consumption from blow by.

If you don't have FI you really don't need a UNI, the stock filter is fine.
DOCJOHN is right. The stock filter has to be chopped up a bit to fit the CT air-box.

The UNI if not kept really clean clogs and has IMO a much shorter service interval than the stock filter. I believe the manual says 30k on the air filter but I use to change it once a year before I went FI.

Last edited:
...... I usually have a martini while I'm doing it.:biggrin:

I then clean the UNI I just took out of the car, let it dry over night, oil it next day put it in a Zip Lok bag.

Joe, does it really take that long for it to dry or that's how long it takes you to wear off the martini :tongue:

I did some test months ago with the three filters.
Stock, K&N and Uni.
I installed each into the stock airbox on my bench.
Then I pulled through about 80 cfm or so, I can't remember now.
The Stock filter was slightly more restrictive than the other two.
But it was so minimal at this flow.
I have used all three in my 6 lb whipple 91 3.0 with AIS and only hear the difference.
My current thoughts are, stock is best and safest.
There is a lot of filter area there compared to the others.
Trev

For those of us who track and/or have an AIS, the Unifilter will pay for itself after the second use compared to the cost of the OEM filter. 15K miles to change the OEM is way too long for such activities. YMMV.

Back