• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking of Ending My Dream

Yeah I'm a bit confused now a days as to what I want to do anymore with the NSX. I've been going to these forums for the past 5 or so years. My dream since like 1999 was to own an NSX. But now its 2007 going to 2008 and I still have lots to go till I can even consider buying one. I'm starting to think my dream of owning a NSX is no longer even a smart choice. The car is great but its getting older and older as I get older and older. By the time I get this car, I'm guessing It'll be 2010 or later, and by then the NSX is a 20-24 year old car.

Maybe I'm just to young to be dreaming about a NSX, starting to feel the NSX wasn't meant for my generation was meant for the previous generation before mine. BTW I'm 20 going to 21 if you guys are wondering. meaning I would be about 25 or so at the earliest if I want to get one. Kind of sad the car would almost be as old as me....

Don't let the age of the car fool you. It won't self-destruct at the 20 or 25 yr mark. I have a 93 and was washing it yesterday... and was marveling at how my car looks like it was made last year! Rubber gaskets around door, inside and out supple and like new, original paint like new. NSX's were built to last. There will be pristine examples of these cars around longer than you will be alive. :biggrin:

Are you dreaming to be 'trendy' or dreaming to have a car that you love?

I've wanted a NSX since 91, my wife wanted me to get a new gen SL or a used 'F' car. But this was about what I wanted! In 2003, I got my NSX, it only took 12 years:eek:.

One of my other fav's are:

67/68 camero
63 vette
67 2000GT

so what's age of a car got to do with what your driving?

and the NSX...

it doesn't have: nav, bluetooth, iPod, etc. So I'm adding it and it will be as updated as any 20XX car:tongue: Unfortunatly it's a B(**##&* to get everything installed nice and clean to look like factory. So far it's taken 2 months (I can only work on it 5 hours a week)

good luck

BTW I'm 43 and my 4 year old daughter loves the car:biggrin:
AND if you're the kind that can't deciede - LEASE!

I would love to own one eventually but what I'm wondering is it a smart choice..... Family now a days tell me don't even consider getting a car from the 90's, all you'll be doing is hassling yourself in fixing it more often than a newer car. Hope you guys get the point I'm trying to make. I'm just guessing A it would be hard to find a very good NSX by 2010 and B it would be very hard to maintain it cause of just its age alone

Maybe one day I'll own one but I guess I'll just have to make my mind up when the time comes if it ever does that is.

Giving up on a real dream is NUTS!!!

If it actually a goal and something you have dreamt about there is no giving up!

I wanted one of these cars since 91. I was 13 when I first saw one of the commercials. I bought my first one at 21 it took everything in my bank accounts to get it. But knowing it was a goal and a dream I NEVER gave up EVER! Even when I had to use some of my nsx money for house payments etc. I still never let the dream die! I am now on my second one at 29 I had to sell my first one 4 years ago to get some capitol to start up another company. Then the dream started all over. I knew that I had to get another one PERIOD! I will always own one even if it is just sitting in my garage. There is nothing like it out there. Drive one the dream will rekindle. NEVER GIVE UP ON A DREAM!!! Ive been there man keep your head up and if you work at it it will happen.

Sorry for the rants but I cant stand seeing people give up on there hopes and dreams due to some hard times.

Brian

The NSX is a car and in ~5 years buy what you want :smile:

Planning is great but worrying about it......wast of energy.

I would love to own one eventually but what I'm wondering is it a smart choice..... Family now a days tell me don't even consider getting a car from the 90's, all you'll be doing is hassling yourself in fixing it more often than a newer car. Hope you guys get the point I'm trying to make. I'm just guessing A it would be hard to find a very good NSX by 2010 and B it would be very hard to maintain it cause of just its age alone

Maybe one day I'll own one but I guess I'll just have to make my mind up when the time comes if it ever does that is.

no offence at all please. but for a car that has been your dream for a long time seems you overlooked or did not learn too much about maintence on an nsx...keep up with services on it...keep fresh rubber, good fuel and oil she'll run forever!

A wise man once said that if you do not have a dream then you could not make a dream come true.

I have wanted a NSX since 1991 and thought for years that I would never be able to afford one. Like most people, family and other small things take priorities. I turned 44 in June this year and bought a '91 with 45,000 km. It took me 16 years.

Production stopped in 2005. There will be 10 year old NSXs in nice conditions in 2010. Some things are worth the wait. NSX is one of them.

Have faith. Work hard and save hard. You will have one in your driveway.

Yeah I'm a bit confused now a days as to what I want to do anymore with the NSX. I've been going to these forums for the past 5 or so years. My dream since like 1999 was to own an NSX. But now its 2007 going to 2008 and I still have lots to go till I can even consider buying one. I'm starting to think my dream of owning a NSX is no longer even a smart choice. The car is great but its getting older and older as I get older and older. By the time I get this car, I'm guessing It'll be 2010 or later, and by then the NSX is a 20-24 year old car.

Maybe I'm just to young to be dreaming about a NSX, starting to feel the NSX wasn't meant for my generation was meant for the previous generation before mine. BTW I'm 20 going to 21 if you guys are wondering. meaning I would be about 25 or so at the earliest if I want to get one. Kind of sad the car would almost be as old as me....

You've made some very good points. You are a very well centered 20 year old. This is one of the most intelligent posts I've seen here on Prime.
Keep your eye on the ball, there will be a car of some sort that will sate your passion when you are ready.
I can see you someday walking by one at a classic car show and thinking " I always liked these" and being satisfied with how things worked out in your life. Good luck.

I had a detailed post written up but the server screwed me.

Bottom line-if you bought a new TL in 2002 or a 91 NSX in 2002, right now you'd have almost exactly the same $ in your pocket. That's assuming you average $2,000 annually on the NSX's maintenance and $2,000 total over 5 years for the TL's maintenance.

By the way, that's if you pay cash. If you purchased the TL with a loan and the NSX with a loan, interest rates etc. the same, the NSX would be cheaper again.

Add in the benefits of driving a rare exotic against a sporty family sedan.. no contest.

The #'s are all over this forum, an early 90's NSX can actually be a very smart buy if you take your time and get a good car.

Keep your eyes on your dream.
I drooled over the NSX back in 1989 when the first photos appeared.
Back then there was no way I was going to pay $89,000 for a new 1991, I was still in college and owning one was just a dream.
Flash forward to 2003. Shopping for a new car; New 330ci, Used M3 or a 1991 NSX. Guess which was less expensive...NSX. Less maintenance, less insurance, less DMV registration.

Save your money, do your homework on what's out there, and when the time is right - be happy with your decision - enjoy it.

no offense, but you're only 21..... most 21 year olds can't afford an nsx. (especially if you're in school)

if you have a dream you have to keep working at it to make it happen. just remember that, as long as you do work for it, it will come. be patient, and you will have one. and you'll be able to enjoy it more knowing that you made it happen.

A wise man once said that if you do not have a dream then you could not make a dream come true.

I have wanted a NSX since 1991 and thought for years that I would never be able to afford one. Like most people, family and other small things take priorities. I turned 44 in June this year and bought a '91 with 45,000 km. It took me 16 years.

Production stopped in 2005. There will be 10 year old NSXs in nice conditions in 2010. Some things are worth the wait. NSX is one of them.

Have faith. Work hard and save hard. You will have one in your driveway.

Yeah I guess I should of mentioned I never really liked the 2002+ model design and dont' really want a T model as well hence only early model NSX or the RARE NA2 hard tops would fit my dream.... I guess I fell in love with the original not the new one.. :D

Thanks for the positive comments guys, but I'll see as some of you have said I still am young so I guess I should just wait till the times comes that I'm financially in a position to even considering buying one to think about this choice. I'll keep dreaming but time will tell if it ever becomes a reality or not. Hopefully it does. :)

The F40 is an old car already but I dont care if I own it 20 years later. I would still love to own it no matter how old it is. I believe the NSX is one of those timeless cars like the F40. Don't give up on your dream....look at all these older cars from the 30,40,50,60,70s making a big hit. Well good luck in whatever you decide.

Dreams are your goals in life. It's what makes life exciting and always gives you something to look forward to and work hard to achieve. I'm 55 and still not done with my dreams. My last automotive dream(for 20 years) was to own a Ferrari- it's in my garage right now !(85' 308gts). I'm almost done with it and my next dream is an NSX as well. I can hardly wait.
Make it a "goal" to have an NSX in 5 years- then work hard and make it happen !

Don't forget about the Zanardi Edition NSXs...which will only be 10 years old by 2009 (and there were some 3.2L coupes available before the 2002+ makeover).

I agree that it is foolish to give up on a dream. A dream is what helps you through the rough days...and it helps focus your goals.

A couple of key employment opportunities, a lot of hard work, and a bit of fortunate timing helped me buy mine new when I was 27. I could have afforded a used one a few years before that, but wisely decided to buy a townhouse first. I didn't come from money...it was all earned. My dream started in 1990, I graduated high school in 1990, I started my career in 1990. Working part-time while in college was probably the best thing I could have done to get a jump start in realizing my dream.

Dreams are very powerful incentives! On my NSX dream, I never wavered. I did not buy a new car before buying my NSX (I almost bought an S2000 in 1999, but decided against it because it might delay making my dream a reality). My previous car was a used Toyota Celica...and it was 12 years old when I sold it.

My signature has included the quote "Reality is better than the dream..." since I joined this forum. It is supposed to imply that owning my dream car is better than I imagined it would be, but perhaps it should be appended to suggest that reality without dreams is not worth living.

Last edited:
Midnight Raven,

This is the most insane idea ever!

Mate I'm 31 years old in 18 days and just purchased my first NSX - a beautiful 1991 Berlina Black with 64,000 miles. I WAITED 16 YEARS FOR THIS CAR!

When I first got to drive the car I drove it pretty conservatively at first until the track day where I went all out and the car handled flawlessly.

I don't buy the argument of owning a car that's 16 years old and being a fragile car. The NSX is a true super car in my mind and my pristine 91 is a perfect example of such a great car.

Seriously mate wait another 6 years and pick your self up something from the years 1997 to 2005 and you'll be the happiest camper ever.

I bet my NSX that it will still be going damn strong by the time you get yours.

Keep the faith and use me as an example!

Check out my new post here with photos:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90596

Jetpilot

Alright... I have been a non-registerd lurker on this forum for the last five years. Reading this post today inspired me to finally register so I could lend some positive encouragement and add some of my own personal perspective.

Like most on this board I have been inspired by and obsessed with the NSX since I saw it at the 1991 Chicago Auto Show. I stood there for no less the 4 hours watching this masterpiece of design and human achievement slowly rotate on it's pedestal. I knew that one day... no matter what, I would experience the thrill of ownership.

Fast forward to 2007. I am 31 years old. Since that day at the auto show, I've had many ups and downs in my life. struggled with heaps of debt, a belly-up business and many other setbacks. The idea of owning the NSX has to this day kept me on the straight and narrow. When life was doing it's best to convince me that I would never get here, I would tighten my resolve and dig in with both hands and pull myself up and along.

Resolve is everything. If you convince yourself that there is simply no way you can fail, you will subconsciously begin to make decisions that affect a positive outcome. The more aggressive you are with this process, the faster you can realize your goal.

Personally I do not own an NSX. However after 16 years of fighting to get here... I am roughly 12-16 months away from being able to purchase one from a financially stable position. Trust me, there are some days when I never thought I'd be this close.

As far as the age of the car goes?! This statement is no different then it is with regards to humans. Age is a state of mind. I have a friend and co-worker who at the age of 30 just bought a 1928 Model A Ford. Why? Because it was his dream.

Don't get hung up on the metrics friend... Just tighten your grip and go get your dream car. It'll be there when you're ready.

Don't give up your dream just yet my friend, making your dreams come true is whats its all about!! I purchase my NSX almost 2 years ago and I'm 25 years of age. The day I bought my NSX, it was the best thing I ever did for myself. Completing a part of my childhood dream made me want to set more goals to complete more dreams. I've now set my eyes on a f430 Scuderia and a dream house in San diego!!! When you complete a dream, you complete a part of yourself!!!!:smile:

Remember that dreams can change with age too. Don't spend your life chasing dreams you may have wanted, but don't suit who you are now.:smile:

Yeah I guess I should of mentioned I never really liked the 2002+ model design and dont' really want a T model as well hence only early model NSX or the RARE NA2 hard tops would fit my dream.... I guess I fell in love with the original not the new one.. :DQUOTE]
In that case, that should be your dream. A pre 2002 NSX, coupe if possible. Dreams gives you a reason for taking action. Quoting Suzy Orman "You are what you think. Thoughts becomes habits. Habits becomes action. Action becomes reality." Hang in there.:smile:

Ditto, except mine is a 97 with 12.8k miles, and was purchase in January of this year.:smile:

Alright... I have been a non-registerd lurker on this forum for the last five years. Reading this post today inspired me to finally register so I could lend some positive encouragement and add some of my own personal perspective.

Like most on this board I have been inspired by and obsessed with the NSX since I saw it at the 1991 Chicago Auto Show. I stood there for no less the 4 hours watching this masterpiece of design and human achievement slowly rotate on it's pedestal. I knew that one day... no matter what, I would experience the thrill of ownership.

Fast forward to 2007. I am 31 years old. Since that day at the auto show, I've had many ups and downs in my life. struggled with heaps of debt, a belly-up business and many other setbacks. The idea of owning the NSX has to this day kept me on the straight and narrow. When life was doing it's best to convince me that I would never get here, I would tighten my resolve and dig in with both hands and pull myself up and along.

Resolve is everything. If you convince yourself that there is simply no way you can fail, you will subconsciously begin to make decisions that affect a positive outcome. The more aggressive you are with this process, the faster you can realize your goal.

Personally I do not own an NSX. However after 16 years of fighting to get here... I am roughly 12-16 months away from being able to purchase one from a financially stable position. Trust me, there are some days when I never thought I'd be this close.

Don't get hung up on the metrics friend... Just tighten your grip and go get your dream car. It'll be there when you're ready.
Love your attitude. Looks like you borrow a page out of Robert Kiyosaki's book - Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Instead of saying "I can't afford it" , you are asking yourself "how can I afford it?" That is positive thinking and it will empower your mind regardless of the NSX. A NSX is just a car (metphorically speaking), but your positive attitude will stay with you for a life time. Hope your postive thinking pans out in near future.:smile:

Last edited:
Keep the tought of the NSX in the back of your mind and use it as a inspiration. Don't rush it or put too much stress on yourself. When the time is right, you will know.

Back