• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Thinking of going back OEM on muffler...

I growing a bit tired of the sound of my exhaust. I have the Dali rice rocket muffer and Cantrell headers.
While I know that some of the very high dollar mufflers are good for a few HP when combined with headers, I wonder if my system does. I figure if so it can only be a couple.
I remember when I had the OEM muffler how quiet it was traveling down the road and I think I want to get back to that way.
IF I choose to do this, will I notice an increase in backpressure and resulting lose of anything? Would changing this make having the headers pretty much useless?
I might consider getting a different muffler but don't want it overbearing anymore.
Anyone have comments on the volume of the CT system?

Changing from the 1995 OEM exhaust system (exhaust manifolds all the way through the muffler) to the 2003 OEM exhaust system (Honda changed the design to a header) yielded ~15 wheel Hp and 7-8 ft-lbs torque across the entire rev band on my dyno runs. I'm assuming the muffler, for both years was the same (looks the same & sounds the same). Therefore I attributed the gains from the header section.

Supposedly an aftermarket exhaust/muffler would add about another 10-20HP (depending on who you ask). I guess you can expect to lose about that. You'll still be better than stock with your header, but you won't be as good as your setup now in terms of performance.

A lot of people like to use this for comparison purposes (I've heard the Comptech can be on the louder side):
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

I've had the same thoughts before. I literally catch the attention of cops on the highway when I'm on the feeder.

I almost went with a Comptech exhaust, just for looks. But since I hardly drive the car and since I do love the way my car sounds, I just couldnt part with the GTLW.

I don't think you will notice much of a change going back to the stock muffler. However, the loss of sound might make it seem slower (or quicker for that matter) then before. I have the Comptech exhaust/header combination and it is not loud at all. There are times I wish it was a tad bit louder, but I'm not going to get another muffler until this one falls off.

My problem with the stock exhaust is that you hear nothing. Nothing inside and nothing outside. I think a sports car should have a little exhaust note wouldn't you agree? I want to know the car is on. Maybe you just need to swap with someone looking for a little more noise

I just looked up the Rice Rocket exhaust. My buddy has something very similar to that. Does your car have the cats on? His does not and it is loud as hell. Too loud imo. If that is the case, I can understand your desire for change. I hear the GTLW is the bomb when it comes to sound.

Good luck!!

Maurice,

If you want quiet then consider RS-R if they make one or you can get the GTLW and use the silencers on it. I think the GTLW would good for you with the silencers because if you ever want it to be louder you can always take them off. Good luck.

Changing from the 1995 OEM exhaust system (exhaust manifolds all the way through the muffler) to the 2003 OEM exhaust system (Honda changed the design to a header) yielded ~15 wheel Hp and 7-8 ft-lbs torque across the entire rev band on my dyno runs. I'm assuming the muffler, for both years was the same (looks the same & sounds the same). Therefore I attributed the gains from the header section.

Supposedly an aftermarket exhaust/muffler would add about another 10-20HP (depending on who you ask). I guess you can expect to lose about that. You'll still be better than stock with your header, but you won't be as good as your setup now in terms of performance.

A lot of people like to use this for comparison purposes (I've heard the Comptech can be on the louder side):
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

Actually, I've heard that the Comptech is barely louder than stock.

I've heard the same thing.
I do agree that a sports car should have some type of sound to the exhaust but it gets a little fatiguing driving down the road and if you aren't in the right RPM range then you have to talk louder to overcome the boominess that the exhaust creates.
I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old too soon and am ready for a change.:frown:

I've heard the same thing.
I do agree that a sports car should have some type of sound to the exhaust but it gets a little fatiguing driving down the road and if you aren't in the right RPM range then you have to talk louder to overcome the boominess that the exhaust creates.
I dunno, maybe I'm just getting old too soon and am ready for a change.:frown:

I have the Dali RR exhaust and I must say it's too loud for me. Actually, it's fine for me but it's just too damn loud. Whenever I hear it from the outside I realize it's ridiculous. A public nuisance. I'm starting to feel bad for my neighbors. I can hear my car from a mile away when someone else drives it. I also have DC headers, BTW.

I was basically going to just swap it out with the Dali Wishuponastar which is based on the CT exhaust which, as mentioned, may be too quiet but I think it will be fine. It's about 10% louder than stock. I would ideally go with the GT-One but funds may be an issue. We'll see.

I'm definitely with you on the Rice Rocket though. Enough is enough after a certain point.

Comptech is not like stock. It is louder, but not annoyingly. If I recall correctly, it had some light drowning as well. Then when it blows, it just gets louder, but still not like a GTLW. Maybe a GTLW with silencers..., but I've never heard that combo.

A couple months ago, I upgraded my exhaust and purchased TopSpeed F-1 headers and a z-tek exhaust. It looks like two glasspacks in-line with each cylinder bank (similar to ARK DT-S) and the tips are about 120mm huge. Actually, when I took it out of the box, the whole exhaust would stand on the tips unassisted.

Anyway, track-worthy for certain, road-worthy though...it seems to rumble and multiply into a life of it's own around 2500-300 rpm and then just seems to...well, hard to tell with the sound behind me, but every once-in-a-while cruising through an underpass, or next to a semi, the sound refraction is really noticiable. Instead of going from "Hey, did something just go by..." to "Hey, that car sounds and looks great...", I leapfrogged to "HEY!!! HOLY JESUS!! LISTEN TO!! AND LOOK!! AT!! ME!! Even Chris at SOS (who did the header install) said: "Yeah, that's a little obnoxious..." (he did have a crooked little smile going though...)

I've thought quad tips may quiet it slightly (and help it look a little less rear-firing-torpedo-tube-ish, but am unsure.

I thought about starting a new string titled "Well, so much for anonymity..." but didn't.

As someone recently pointed out, I believe the hitch in the git-a-long (restriction) of the stock exhaust is the header, not the exhaust. The stock exhaust is just 39 pounds h-e-a-v-y (but I'm glad I hung on to it).

Since I seem to have both extremes in my current inventory, middle-ground would be really welcome at this point in my mild-mod-dom...

Anyway, my lamenting 2 cents... :redface:

--Q.D.

I recently put on a tubi exhaust since my GTLW was too loud. I did like the sound of the tubi as it was not droning, but I am going back to the GTLW since the car feels slower with the tubi. When comparing the two, I noticed the pipe diameter for the tubi was smaller than the GTLW. Also the tubi weighs about as much as the oem. Noise is one thing, but I'd rather have a slightly faster car than a nice sounding one. As far as the OEM, it's a great exhaust I just never cared for the battle star galactica tips.

for those of you with older cars who want the oem sound but dis the art deco tips the 95-96 exhaust had a more usual single tip round straight cut look like the 97 and up cars.

I think the Comptech would suit your needs well. In my opinion it is not loud at all. At idle and cruising it is just slightly louder (or throatier) than stock but not much. In fact, when I installed the Comptech on the 91, I noticed it sounded only slightly louder than my 97 NA2 with stock exhaust. It kind of comes alive when you're on the gas with a healthy growl but nothing that would ever turn any heads. Plus the Comptech exhaust would allow you more benefit from your headers.

I think as long as you still have your stock cats the noise level would still be reasonable but you'll still get a nice exhaust note when you get on the gas.

I'm in the middle of installing headers and a GTLW on my 91 right now. I just removed my Comptech exhaust yesterday. It's a great exhaust, I just want more volume. If the GTLW is too obnoxious I'll put the Comptech back on.

Last edited:
I have a Comptech exhaust with Cantrell headers and it doesn't sound anything like stock at all. My set up has test pipes as well but i can't imagine they make that much difference. It is a quieter exhaust than most that i have heard but no where near stock sound imo.

your test pipes do add a significant volume of sound,and do make a significant difference:wink:

Maurice, when I get back in town Monday I'll shoot you a pm and you can come hear mine. I just put on a new ct exhaust. I think it sounds great - not annoying loud but a nice smooth sound.
David

If you want the non oem look, just change the tips on the oem exhaust, then u r good to go....

Regarding the 5 - 10 hp gain on the mufflers on paper, but do you really feel it, especially during daily driving? I think not.

Sound of the intake is nice enough IMO..

If you want the non oem look, just change the tips on the oem exhaust, then u r good to go....

Regarding the 5 - 10 hp gain on the mufflers on paper, but do you really feel it, especially during daily driving? I think not.

Sound of the intake is nice enough IMO..

I don't mind the look of the tips at all. Never really bothered me one way or the other.
The way I drive, I doubt I would be able to detect a 5HP difference. I drive it like a grandma anyway.:cool:
I have already taken out my UNI filter and replace it with the OEM filter. Haven't run the car since then to see if there is any noticeable difference.

The Comptech is louder than stock, and after a few years, say 5 or so, it gets louder.

Comptech is not like stock. It is louder, but not annoyingly. If I recall correctly, it had some light drowning as well. Then when it blows, it just gets louder, but still not like a GTLW. Maybe a GTLW with silencers..., but I've never heard that combo.

The CT does not drone. IMO, it's a nice street system. I have it with the CT headers.

I live in tampa and would let you try my factory oem if you want. Id need to swap you. Joe

Thanks for the offer. I actually kept my OEM system when I took it off for this very reason.
That and when/if I ever decided to sell the car, I could put it back on.
I wanted to do it sometime this week but with this impending Hurricane Fay coming my direction I've other things to be concerned with.

I recently put the OEM exhaust back on and there's definitely improvement in the lower rpm torque but top end seems somewhat restricted compared to the taitec center exit I had. I would suggest going with quieter aftermarket exhaust so you won't suffer the higher RPM range.

Back