• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thinking Supercharger?

Has any one in Columbus, OH area had the CompTech SC installed? By who? My first choice is to find a mechanic w/ NSX SC experience, and an Acura dealer would be fantastic.

Another option is self-install. I've read the directions on the CompTech site, and they seem a little vague, but fairly simple. Any one done a self install? How did it go? Would you do it again? (please qualify with your mechanical background. I'm probably back-yard mechanic level)

I'm not totally committed to a SC, but thinking seriously about it. I barely have 1k miles on the car, so I still have a lot to learn. I just think more power coming out of a turn would be nice.

Here is your answer my friend:

- Mark and Jane Basch: It wouldn't be enough what I can say about them. One day I emailed Mark Johnson's and told him that if he thinks about the possibility to approach Mark Basch to fly to Panama to Supercharged my car. It only took 5 minutes for Mark Johnson to replied me and let me know that Mr.Basch agreed to do it. That's something you don't expect to happen that quick. Fortunately it happened to me. Then I went to Phoenix to meet Mark and Jane and they hosted me like a king. He also let me raced his car, Of course I did take proper care of his car and we had a lot of fun. Then he came to Panama and did my car, and all I can say is that I came out wonderful, and here we had a lot of fun after we finished my car. As I said before, If you happen to have the opportunity to meet Mark ,Jane and Dyna Basch, you would be able to realize what I'm trying to explain.
http://www.nextnsx.com/ezine_art/image022.jpg

You can contact Mr.Basch Guru at:
[email protected] or 602 244-8010

Regards,
Enrique Thompson
Crazy4Cars Racing

i second enrique's comments re mark basch.

he installed a comptech sc in my '00 last nov - very professional, great job and nice fella to boot.

be well.
hal

I third the support of Mark Basch - he took my modified NSX and made it even quicker, and pointed out a number of problems that existed from the previous work that had been done on it, and took care of those problems.

He's da man!

David Allen
'00 Silverstone-T
CT SC, Intake, Exhaust, Headers
Dyno ~350RWHP, thanks to Mark Basch

I am a little north of Detroit and I have recently had a Comptech SC installed on my '00 NSX-T, if you want to take a little road trip you can try mine out first hand. I had a local guy that does a lot of stuff for me do the install and it turned out great.

I have a question for those who have the CT Supercharger.

How annoying or bothersome is the noise you get from these units when the car is idling?

I've heard this noise (sounds like a nasty rod knock) and although it's normal and not an indication of a problem or a flaw (as I understand it), I just found it annoying.

Does anyone else feel that way? Or, do the benefits outweigh that one negative?

Also, is there any other downside to the CT unit?

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Here here, this is a good topic. What are the benefits of the CT unit vs. the Gruppe M???

From what I've heard, the Gruppe M seems to be the better of the bunch...

There were already a number of discussions on the topic. Do a search and you'll find a few.
Where's the FAQ Nazi when you need him?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by bartonkt:
Here here, this is a good topic. What are the benefits of the CT unit vs. the Gruppe M???

From what I've heard, the Gruppe M seems to be the better of the bunch...

Here is an earlier thread on that subject.

Personally, I prefer the CT unit. While it does not offer the option of an intercooler, it is much better integrated into the engine bay and uses a better blower (Whipple screw-type vs Eaton roots-type).

I hope I didn't turn this into a CT vs GM debate.

However, that "rod knock" noise of the CT might be enough for me to consider something else.

Doesn't it bother anyone else? It is pretty universal, right?

-Jim

------------------

Where's the FAQ Nazi when you need him?

Dead.

Here is an earlier thread on that subject.

There was a much longer and more extensive examination of the two leading supercharger options, and you can find it here.

However, does that "rod knock" noise of the CT bother anyone else? It is pretty universal, right?
i can't speak for others, but my CT @idle often seems to sound as though it's a small lapidary polishing machine in action... my wife often says "what's that noise?" (as in - WHAT'S THAT NOISE!?). i keep the oil pretty well topped, etc... so don't know if it's SOP for the unit or what... comments from other owners?

a question for other CT owners/wrenches out there: my '00 CT/SC'd nsx has ~22,000 street and highway miles on it. lately here in our area, our high end octane has gone from 92 to 91. at about the same time as i began running the 91,i began to notice a slight "stuttering" or "stumbling" in deceleration, at about the 2-3K rpm level... acceleration has no stumbles or hiccups, but deceleration does... anybody have any thoughts, comments? purely coincidental or somehow related to octane change? tomorrow the car goes in for a svc maint... any suggestions as to what i might point them at to check this out?

thanks in advance.
hal

In regards to the Comptech SC. I have not noticed any noise at idle but I will check once I get my car back.

Hal,

I also have experienced the stuttering under decel once I started using the 91. I'm going to try using a boost to see what happens. I'll let you know.

Ken

Ken,

thanks for the feedback... i was considering using an octane boost as well... anybody else have comments on this?
hal

After reading through all that nonsense, I think I've decided to opt the Bell TT route...just seems like a smarter over all purchase, especially for those that don't track their car, but want more power.

No reply for the S/C thread but I've gotta say Ilya, you've done it again....That's a great Avatar! Are you going to bring yourself and that bottle to the next Cal Coast Meeting?

I think that noise is SOP for the CT. From what I understand the noise is normal and does not indicate any problems. As soon as you give the engine some gas and get past 2K RPM the noise stops or becomes masked by the engine noise.

For me it's a matter of refinement and aesthetics. Everything else on the NSX is so..so..elegant in execution, I guess it just bothered me enough to hold back.

-Jim

i can't speak for others, but my CT @idle often seems to sound as though it's a small lapidary polishing machine in action... my wife often says "what's that noise?" (as in - WHAT'S THAT NOISE!?). i keep the oil pretty well topped, etc... so don't know if it's SOP for the unit or what... comments from other owners?

------------------

I just love the feel of a turbo, but am concerned about the fact that there is alot of negative press regarding Bell's TT kit. I t sounds like some parts are half assed and that the all important fuel management system is actually dangerous. I will wait and see what experience others have.

As long as I'm not on vacataion again, I'll be at the meeting and bring the bottle with me.

As for the Bell turbo, most of the complaints are from early fuel management problems. Most people purchase a better system and have no problems with it.

Back