• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Those of you that have shorten your final drives

I'm thinking about changing my final drive from OEM specs to 4.4 or 4.62. For those of you that have shortened your final drive to one of these numbers, what are your experiences? In other words what are the pros and cons of going to these final drive numbers. Currently, I'm leaning towards the 4.4 number.

I want to get peoples input before I spend the relatively large sums of money to have this work done.

Thanks in advance.

4.40 is what most people are recommended to go with if you do any real street driving Mario. 4.60 final drive makes all of the gears very short and almost unbearable for a street driven car.

I have a 4.55 final and really enjoy having the extra grunt of the gear around town. I think a 4.4 would be about perfect if I were to do it again.

I have had a 4.55 (and the JDM gearset) since 1997 and would not trade it for anything. Although I will admit the shorter R&P is not as quiet as the stock rear end. By the way, top end is not limited (unless your car is supercharged or turboed) our normally-aspirated cars are aerodynamically limited to around 168mph.

Last edited:
My '91 recently got a 6 speed and a 4.62 final drive. I am really happy with the setup but I do have a fairly quiet exhaust so highway noise is minimal.

Here is the indicated speed and revs (rear tires are 275/30-19 so I'm guessing it's probably a lower actual speed). BTW can anyone calculate my top speed at redline assuming adequate power?

Attachments

• speedo-4.62drive.jpg
    speedo-4.62drive.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
My '91 recently got a 6 speed and a 4.62 final drive. I am really happy with the setup but I do have a fairly quiet exhaust so highway noise is minimal.
Here is the indicated speed and revs (rear tires are 275/30-19 so I'm guessing it's probably a lower actual speed). BTW can anyone calculate my top speed at redline assuming adequate power?

A quick Google search got this:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/speedcalc.html

Were you able to find what you were looking for using the csgnetwork calculator?

I ordered from OS Giken the LSD with the OEM final drive in that the 4.4 option is on back order. However, I reallly would tlike to have the 4.4 final drive. So, I'm thinking of buying an OS Giken LSD with the 4.4 final drive kit from a local supplier (unfortunately at a higher cost than what I'm getting from Japan). Then I will sell the LSD with the OEM final drive on Prime and E-Bay.

Guys, thanks for some good info.

Last edited:
I had the comptech 4.55 for many years with my 5 speed and short gears.....As I used the car for more highway miles it got annoying,,,,,for tracks with longer straights and higher top speeds I was bouncing off the limiter in 4th,shifting to 5th on my na engine was akin to lifting......so if your street driving is below say 80 mph you don't do long highway stints and your tracks are lower speed and technical then it may be useful.....if you are FI then it also may be better..

Were you able to find what you were looking for using the csgnetwork calculator?

Thanks.. yes that calculator gave me a 182mph top speed at 8000rpm given the following:
275/30 19" tires - 25.4" diameter
6th gear - .717
final drive - 4.62

I plan on going to bigger 275/35 tires soon, which are 26.7" OD. Then the calculated top speed would go up to
192mph

cheers

Last edited:
I have had a 4.55 (and the JDM gearset) since 1997 and would not trade it for anything. Although I will admit the shorter R&P is not as quiet as the stock rear end. By the way, top end is not limited (unless your car is supercharged or turboed) our normally-aspirated cars are aerodynamically limited to around 168mph.

You have a 4.55? I have a 4.23 with short gears. I think it's perfect.

Especially with the lightweight flywheel and supercharger.

You have a 4.55? I have a 4.23 with short gears. I think it's perfect.

Especially with the lightweight flywheel and supercharger.

The extra ponies because of the blower might make a difference. With stock hp the 4.55 is nicer -- perhaps that's why you can barely keep up on Highway 1? ; - )

Last edited:
The extra ponies because of the blower might make a difference. With stock hp the 4.55 is nicer -- perhaps that's why you can barely keep up on Highway 1? ; - )

Funny guy. Actually, I had the gearset and final drive done years before the other upgrades. I think the 4.23 is the perfect compliment to the short gears.

But what do I know...

Back