• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will you ever sell your NSX?

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
So what do you guys think about when you consider selling or not selling your NSX? I'm curious what your thought process is like.

I've had my NSX for 13 years. That's pretty junior level compared to some of you, I know. I've toyed with the idea of selling it but never realistically considered it. Even when I got a couple of "crazy" offers here and there over time. I even go in and out being interested in the car. Sometimes it sits in the garage for weeks/months but there are those days that are magical and it's just a part of my life. There are so many reasons why to keep it and so many reasons to sell it.

* Expand your horizons, try something different
* Who needs a bunch of cars, don't be a hoarder
* The price appreciation is crazy right now (which can be said for any point in the last few years)
* It doesn't cost much to maintain
* It's still fun and puts a smile on my face when I drive it
* but other cars are so much faster, etc
* have someone else enjoy it
* you can't take it with you when you die
* ... I can't probably think of 10 more pros and cons...

p.s. this is the first new thread I've started in years (that wasn't in the classified lol)
p.s. 2. let's bring sexy (nsxprime) back

Love it.......the old prime had at least 3 of theses new provocative posts every day!. I'm not married to the bee...but it is an old friend who has gotten me into and out of some pretty thrilling track moments. Like you it sits but starts and runs well. Looks great and really does excite at local gatherings...so it ticks a lot of boxes. If Honda decides to make a type S I will be more interested in NC1 ... but there is also talk of the RS version of the GT4 cayman....I have both dealers within 30 minutes of my house///That to me is the most important in sportscar ownership....I would have to be dealing with transport to Philly like over 2 hours travel time If I was to go Italian or British...

I recently came back to NSX ownership after 10 years of hiatus (and 20+ other sports cars in between). This is my 4th NSX, and there are several lessons I learned during this capricious journey of buying/selling/buying/selling NSXs.

1) I always regretted selling my NSXs. Other shiny toys were fun for awhile, but it turns out that the NSX is all around the most enjoyable car to own and drive for me. Modern cars, though significantly faster and handles betters, do not give me the similar, special sense of driving as the NSX does. I have 4 other sports cars, and whenever I have to go for a scenic drive, I find myself grabbing the NSX more often than other cars.

2) The more I drive the NSX, the more I want to hold onto it. The less I drive it, the more I want to sell it and try something new. Of the 4 NSXs I had since 2001, 2 were low-mile garage queens, and 2 were drivers. I didn't enjoy the garage queen ownership experience as much. When I sold them, I always felt like I kept and maintained those NSXs for next owners, not for me. My 4th and current one is a driver. It's not a collector quality NSX, but I bought it because of it. I want to just enjoy owning and driving it, and don't have to worry about parking in a public lot, getting swirl marks & rock chips, wear & tear and mileage diminishing the value of the car, etc. I am still religiously maintaining it, but I have less stress of owning and driving it.

3) I am not married to keeping things completely stock (though the NSX in its stock form is already amazing). I have found that modifying the NSX to my own tastes is a part of the ownership experience as long as I document well.

4) I have had both NA1 and NA2 NSXs. Both have pros and cons, and I would like to have both in my garage if possible. My favorite years are '93-'94, and '00-'01. I have also had 4 different colors, and NSXs are beautiful in all colors. If I ever consider selling my current NSX, it would be for a different color - just to try it. I would like to someday try green or yellow.

5) At the end of the day, even though the NSX is a very special car, it's a car. And I believe that experiencing other cars gives me different perspectives and appreciation. Even if you sell it and try something else, you can always come back.

Love it.......the old prime had at least 3 of theses new provocative posts every day!. I'm not married to the bee...but it is an old friend who has gotten me into and out of some pretty thrilling track moments. Like you it sits but starts and runs well. Looks great and really does excite at local gatherings...so it ticks a lot of boxes. If Honda decides to make a type S I will be more interested in NC1 ... but there is also talk of the RS version of the GT4 cayman....I have both dealers within 30 minutes of my house///That to me is the most important in sportscar ownership....I would have to be dealing with transport to Philly like over 2 hours travel time If I was to go Italian or British...
Yeah, it touches on a lot of subtle things for me. The most important of them being.. I still think the car is cool and special, but i'll have to admit if i'm honest... I really don't feel unhealthily attached to it haha

I recently came back to NSX ownership after 10 years of hiatus (and 20+ other sports cars in between). This is my 4th NSX, and there are several lessons I learned during this capricious journey of buying/selling/buying/selling NSXs.
That sounds like my TSLA experience

I love my car but if getting hard parts, disintegrating plastic pieces, and replacing/repairing failed electronics becomes very problematic I would sell it. I don't want to do that but I also don't want it to turn into a barn find because keeping it on the road turned into too much of a pain in the ass.

I love my car but if getting hard parts, disintegrating plastic pieces, and replacing/repairing failed electronics becomes very problematic I would sell it. I don't want to do that but I also don't want it to turn into a barn find because keeping it on the road turned into too much of a pain in the ass.

This. ^^^^^^^

.....and then there is that problematic 4-7 mm window/garnish gap variance......my subtle nod to OLDGUY.....

I agree. As soon as it becomes "hard" to own I will have to get rid of it. I suppose I've subconsciously been preparing for this. Over the years I realized my dooms day pile of spare parts has been getting bigger and bigger.

I'd say at this point I'm an owner for life, but given the recent sale results it certainly makes you think twice. I had given serious thought to selling mine for a new NC1 but ultimately decided to take advantage of the laws of deprecation and will hopefully buy one this winter. Hopefully rob one on a nice snow day, lol

Probably not for a longtime. I don't drive it much, but when I do it brings a smile to my face. It doesn't require a lot of expensive upkeep. My biggest issue is running a tank of fuel through it every year. I have regretted selling several nice low mileage cars over the years.....so I am at the hoarding stage of life now.

Never.

It's still one of the best cars ive ever driven, and a turbo NSX is still one of my all time favorite cars and the closest thing to an F40 out there.

That's why I scanned and redesigned and 3D printed the lower (center) door frame braces that always break and hold the inner door panel to the metal door. :D
1%20NSX%20Door%20Frame%20Center%20JDM%20Mesh-X2.jpg

2%20NSX%20Door%20Frame%20Center%20JDM%20Drawing%202-X2.jpg

5%20NSX%20Door%20Frame%20Center%20Parts-L.jpg

8%20NSX%20Door%20Frame%20Center%20JDM%20vs%20Stock-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Good point - 3D printers may make a huge difference thanks to people like you who put the time and effort in.

Last edited:
Yes if you need insurance coverage for old nsx repairs the difficulty in shops documenting oem or equivalent parts is a real issue.. So drive on full alert people.

Also if you haven't revisited your insurance policy in the last 3-5 years you may want to increase coverage based on appreciated sales prices esp if you have an agreed upon policy....

Last edited:
I’m a noobie owner of five years. My NSX sits for five months a year because of Cleveland winters, so I generally can’t keep my hands off my car during the driving season. 27,000 miles on my NSX in five years shows how much I enjoy driving it.

It’s been sitting in the garage for the last two weeks, though, in an attempt at self-control. Been splitting time between my manual CTS-V wagon and my rare manual Accord X 2.0 “daily driver”. It’s gotten so the local Cars and Coffee crew are asking where the NSX is, LOL!

I don’t see myself giving up my NSX soon, though I am regularly tempted by the NC1, and have been since its release. If someone offers the right money, I’d consider it. Given it’s now twin turbo’d, I doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
well according to Billy you are now driving an F40:biggrin:

I regret selling my '96 sometimes and the price of re-entry is now too high at this point. With that said driving my '17 makes me forget about my old one.

MC

Someday.
H-

I have a 91 and one of my latest mods was to add power steering because getting old sucks lol

As mentioned by [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION], I have thought about what happens when this car is wrecked. My insurance agent does a good job of fighting for my claims so I'm hoping I get top dollar. The real telling tale will be if I decide to buy another Gen 1 NSX at that point. Something tells me it'll be a 50/50 decision.

I'm on my 4th NSX so the answer would have to be yes. However I keep thinking that each NSX takes me closer to the ultimate find and my current NSX has checked off every box. So I'm hoping that I keep her for years to come. I'll regret it if I sell the car, that's for sure. :)

Yep, this might be the downfall of ownership. If parts become too difficult to find, it will hinder the ownership experience.
It is nice to have folks creating 3D parts! That is a great option to keep these old cars on the road. I predict we will see more of this.

In 10+ years when the powertrain becomes too hard to source, the alternative might be EV conversion. Folks are already doing it for old 911. Yes, I agree that it takes away from the original experience, but might be an alternative to keep these gems on the road. For the record, I'm going to try to keep this guy on the road as long as possible before going EV or selling. :)

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/
https://insideevs.com/news/447675/ev-west-tesla-swap-porsche-911-classic/

Yep, this might be the downfall of ownership. If parts become too difficult to find, it will hinder the ownership experience.
It is nice to have folks creating 3D parts! That is a great option to keep these old cars on the road. I predict we will see more of this.

In 10+ years when the powertrain becomes too hard to source, the alternative might be EV conversion. Folks are already doing it for old 911. Yes, I agree that it takes away from the original experience, but might be an alternative to keep these gems on the road. For the record, I'm going to try to keep this guy on the road as long as possible before going EV or selling. :)

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-crate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/
https://insideevs.com/news/447675/ev-west-tesla-swap-porsche-911-classic/

Part of the magic of the NSX is revving to 8k and that sweet manual transmission. EV conversion would eliminate that completely.

MC

well according to Billy you are now driving an F40:biggrin:

ROFLMAO. Well then. Makes me feel better about driving my NSX.

As far as what happens if my NSX is severely damaged...I will likely move on to a NC1, or to another platform. The entry price for a NSX in good shape is simply too high now.

Personally I would say that i will never sell.
The issue is that there are 2-3 cars out there I would like to own for a while as well (F430 spider / Superperformance Cobra) which will not happen due to
financial reasons if I will not sell the X.

So time will show, anyhow the X is that a reliable car, great looking, nice to drive and rearly to see live, that I as of now did not really thought about to sell

Back