• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Those who sold their NSX, do you have any regrets selling the car?

Those who sold their NSX, do you have any regrets selling the car?

I am asking because I am currently trying to sell my 92 Berlina/Ivory and now that I've gotten a few serious calls, I am having serious second thoughts just because I don't want to lose out on not owning the car anymore. It is such a masterpiece. Every time the garage door opens I gaze at the car even though its been a few years since I bought it. However, I don't really drive it much other than on very nice days. I'm from Chicago so those are rare. Also, now that I have a kid, my wife and I can't really stick the baby in roomy trunk space. My wife wants me to keep it but being a garage trophy and not having the opportunities to drive it as much led me to decide to put it on the market. I've got a 240sx that I've owned since high school that has been neglected and I was planning to build up before I bought the NSX. Figured I can just divert my need for speed into that.

I've been saying to myself that I can always get another NSX in the future. However the more I think about the limited amount of cars and how time will just cause the number to go lower, the price of the cars will just appreciate.

Am I crazy? Should I sell? Some one convince me to sell or keep the car.

I think it really depends on your goals in life. I have always wanted a fun second weekend blaster. I don't have any kids yet but when I do, I am sure things will change. I recently sold my viper and was without a fun car for a few weeks, and I was miserable. The minute I got my NSX, I felt complete again. I think with the new NSX coming out soon the buzz will be back around the car and I feel prices will continue to appreciate. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Can't really convince you, but can give you some ideas. Why are you selling? Is it because you think the car deserves to be driven and enjoyed and you can't do that? In that case, sell it and let it be driven and enjoyed. You also say maybe you can always get another one, is there a different color or year you prefer? Then sell it and when you are ready to come back then look for that better combination. But if you don't care about it sitting there and not getting used like your 240sx, then just keep it, especially if 1992 black/ivory is your most favorite combination, in that case, you'll regret selling it, especially if you can't find the right combo again.

My wife wants me to keep it.

She (objectively?) watches your interactions with the car, how you speak about it, look at it, how you "are" with it. She is a keeper, as is your NSX. Listen to her.

I think there are legitimate reasons for someone to sell an NSX, and legitimate reasons for someone to keep it. Reasons someone else may have may not apply to you. Based on this part of what you've said:

I am having serious second thoughts just because I don't want to lose out on not owning the car anymore. It is such a masterpiece. Every time the garage door opens I gaze at the car even though its been a few years since I bought it.
In your case, I think it would be a mistake for you to sell, that you would regret doing so, probably as soon as the buyer drove away. Keep it. Don't sell it until and unless you don't have any second thoughts.

I had a 57 Chev Belair two door hardtop. I sold it.
I had a 1987 Buick Grand National. I sold it.
I've had my 91 NSX for 23 years cause I learned my lesson and won't be selling it.

I believe it's the most undervalued car on the market today.

Sold my 91 nsx awhile back and regretted it the first day. Everyone has different timing for things that they want and can/can't afford, if this isn't the right time for you or if you think it'll help better your situation then i would say go for it. When you're in a better state where you can enjoy the car often then the search begins! I'm sure everyone can chime in on a car they wish they never sold etc but as well it's the experience you get for the next car you buy. I'm in the process of finalizing my next NSX and it's been 4 years since i've driven one. The one im buying is 10x better then the one i had since there were small things i didn't like about my first one.

best of luck!

If you are having second thoughts already you will regret it when it is gone. The only reason I see to sell it is if you were in financial need and or your family is suffering from the car being around. Meaning it is a hassle instead of a joy. I think you will regret it just based off of your post. But only you can make the decision.

You will miss the car. keep it! coming from another 92 berlina/ivory owner. Don't know how i survived all those years with out it :biggrin: Best of luck whichever way you go

Sounds like you're on the fence OP. When this happens, it's best to do nothing and think about it some more imo. If and when the time is right to sell, you'll know it deep down in your heart and you won't have these second thoughts.

Well, I've sold a lot of cars in the past, and for the most part with few regrets. Do I miss my (2) S2000's at times? yes I do. But I know I can purchase another one. Same goes for Corvettes, Porsches, etc - lots of them out there to pick from if you are patient. The concern I have with my NSX in terms of ever selling, is that I am pretty sure I could NEVER find a duplicate like the one I own (all documentation, super well taken care of , garaged, low mileage, all maintenance etc). All of which would be important to me. And, like you said, there are fewer and fewer out there as time goes on - and I believe that the well-cared for examples will hold their value, if not appreciate.

But, gotta always take care of whats best for the family - if keeping it is a problem or issue with the family or finances, you gotta let it go. Might not be another NSX just like yours to grab in the future, but there are lots of nice cars out there to pick from that you'd be happy with (just perhaps not as happy with the NSX). Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted. Cheers, Jay

Maybe make an effort to drive it more and see how you feel. I have 2 kids, so speaking from experience, if you love it too much, and there is no financial issue with keeping it, don't sell it. Tough to replace it with another NSX (due to lesser number of well kept ones out there). This car is destined to be an icon in the future and appreciate.

Hope you can keep it :)

I had a 57 Chev Belair two door hardtop. I sold it.
I had a 1987 Buick Grand National. I sold it.
I've had my 91 NSX for 23 years cause I learned my lesson and won't be selling it.

I believe it's the most undervalued car on the market today.

I know nothing about Buick Grand Nationals, but what is with NSX owners and Grand Nationals? I think this is the third time on here that someone mentioned the car and how much of a keeper it is. If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

If garage space is one of the issues since it is taking up space and gets little use ...do you have any family or friends in the burbs that have the room to keep it for you.

I know nothing about Buick Grand Nationals, but what is with NSX owners and Grand Nationals? I think this is the third time on here that someone mentioned the car and how much of a keeper it is. If someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.

I would recommend looking up the car for starters. It was faster then a corvette and practical.

If garage space is one of the issues since it is taking up space and gets little use ...do you have any family or friends in the burbs that have the room to keep it for you.

Or you can buy one of the current inexpensive four post hoists, put the NSX on top, put the DD underneath, and when your child is old enough, present him/her with the NSX.
They will love you for keeping it.

Maybe make an effort to drive it more and see how you feel. I have 2 kids, so speaking from experience, if you love it too much, and there is no financial issue with keeping it, don't sell it. Tough to replace it with another NSX (due to lesser number of well kept ones out there). This car is destined to be an icon in the future and appreciate.

Hope you can keep it :)

The future is now, it is already an ICON!

Last edited:
Keep it, otherwise you will regret it. I sold my 04 Rio with 15k for similar reasons. In my case Virginia charges Personal Property Tax on a yearly basis; the taxes on the car to sit in the garage was $3k per year. The car was virtually paid for (I think I owed $10k on the car at the time). I sold it to a dealer and felt sick immediately when handing over the keys. I was not in a position where I needed to sell it, I just figured I would do the smart thing since I wasn't using it.

I was very wrong and looked and continued to look for years later. I finally found an 05 LBBP and bought it with 21k on the clock. I am now trying to bring that car to the maintenance standards of my 04, which is expensive since I had everything done on my 04 and cannot do it myself and I am anal when it comes to my vehicles. I would agree with everyone else in the fact that if you don't have to do it, don't. If you truly love the car, you will look for another one soon after. They are becoming harder and harder to find. It took 3+ years for me to settle on the LBBP. It really wasn't the car I was looking for (mileage wise), but I was tired of waiting at that point.

Your wife is a keeper for sure! Smart woman, listen to her on this... The funny part is, normally the significant other is telling you to get rid of your toys. Ironic, but a nice change. She got any single sisters? lol

To answer your question, place yourself in this situation:

A guy (or girl, just being statistically correct based on probability) who really appreciates the NSX looks at your car and wants to buy. He gives you the cash. You know it's going to a good home (This is the best case scenario as I'm sure if any of us ever sell, you hope she finds a good new home).

You hand the keys to the new owner. He says he'll keep in touch and send you photos. You watch the car reverse from your driveway for the last time with the new owner in the driver's seat. Then he gives you a wave with a big grin on his face as he drives off down the street and you see the car turn away out of sight.

How does this situation make you feel when you imagine it (the real thing will be 100 times worse)? :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! After many back and forths in my own head I've decided that I cannot let the nsx go yet. Reading everyone's posts made me realize that even though I can find a different one later it will never be the same. This community helped me more than I can express. Thanks again! Now I have to break some guy's heart over email to tell him I'm keeping it.

Thats the spirit!!!! The nsx is becoming much harder to find. Owning an nsx is like having a rare piece of japanese automotive history that will never fade away....iconic for sure.

I sold my beautiful 02.

Loved the car, but no regrets.

I sold for reasons that are mostly practical in nature - needed a more practical car (911TT fit perfect), but I also counted on the car for a daily driver and the few parts that I needed over the last few years I owned it were taking 6+ weeks to find, so the writing was on the wall that at some point I would nned a part to drive the car that I would not be able to get for many weeks. Made sense to me to sell it.

I'm glad you decided to keep your NSX! I'm still in my honeymoon stages with my NSX coming up on owning it for a year now. It makes my long days, bad days, hard days, sick days whatever better just opening the garage and walking by it everyday. If I've got a lot on my mind go out there turn on the radio and start cleaning, or the next DIY I've been meaning to do. It's good to see I'm not the only one that is happier just knowing I own one. Sounds like the next nice day you should take it out for a drive.

Back