• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thoughts on this NSX? Lots of pics

I stumbled on your post and read through it. I am a new (March 2010) owner of a 1991 and I have been through everything except the body work issues you are having. I had some of those of my own but my car is now in great shape.

You should not gloss over basic maintenance with your car. If the car has sat for 4-6 years you need to do a litany of maintenance that may include the timing belt, 26 hoses, circuit board for your AC control unit (unit can be swapped out through Brian K or Science of Speed), plugs, wires, etc. Basically anything that would degrade over time needs to be replaced. Best place to go in my opinion is Larry B. He is the authority, but there are others in the club as well. Really depends on your area.

The dealer mechanics are not the place for these for the most part. They simply were not born when our cars came out. When I got my car there was an ABS and SRS light on. I took it to the dealer to see what they thought and got a $5,000 quote to fix it. I took out the SRS unit and sent it to Brian K. He fixed it for $125. We ordered a new ABS pump from one of my new best friends Tim Poiniak (Acura of Peoria - 866-347-8355) who can get almost anything and gives us a discount on parts. So in all the $5,000 bill was about $750.

I have learned that these cars do not sit well. They are meant to be driven. Mine is not a daily drive but is out every sunny day. The Timing Belt service is a little pricey but your best bet is to let a non-dealer do the work - someone through the NSXCA. The dealer wanted $2500 for the Timing Belt Service. I think my bill was $4500 for:

26 Hoses Replaced
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Plugs
Wires
Valve Adjustment
Engine Compartment Refresh
ABS Pump Replacement
Brake System Flush
Oil Change
Several Other Minor Items

The spreadsheet on all of the work Larry B did covered several pages. There were also several nests from Rodents in the car (they will nest in there if the car sits). We could one in the Subwoofer (Larry B had another unit and swapped it out), Air Cleaner and under the windshield front hood cover.

Be careful if you are not doing these sevices because our cars are 25 years old! A coolant hose rupture could set you back a lot. The NSXCA is a group of great people who have all helped me so much. I have learned so much over the past 1 1/2 years of ownership and continue to learn every day. Fortunately I can do my own brakes and oil, which saves me some. I also have done some other work on the car as well.

Good luck with your new NSX!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/92ad035/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

@JD Cross

I am using the 1991 service manual and I don't think it indicates which screws go where?

I checked the wiki and it says to use the black screws on the metal part and gold screws on the plastic part? Here's the link: https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR
300px-Bose_trimplate.jpg

Jim, you're an original owner so I'll take your word for it haha.

On the 3 cars I have worked on the black screws go with the metal part and the gold screws go with the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 3 cars I have worked on the black screws go with the metal part and the gold screws go with the plastic.

Have done some searching and found this pic which supports white98sh and the Wiki and makes my advice wrong.
So Andrew go with the others. :smile:

bose_innerhandle.jpg

Last edited:
[MENTION=22576]Andr3w[/MENTION], congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to the old school Honda excellence club. As for the door handle screws, the black screws go in the front portion which is black plastic and the gold screws go into the rear of the door which also has gold colored bases. If I remember correctly it is two gold screws in the rear and 3 black screws towards the front.

@Kenwould Definitely, I agree the maintenances are very important. I haven't found the time yet (I still haven't officially registered the car yet, still on the temporary sticker). I had too much time on my hands before so I signed up for a bunch of sports and activities after work. I did however, get the safety done on Monday so I will be going to the ministry of transportation office today to complete the registration. If I play my cards right, I should arrive at the office 30 minutes before they close. :biggrin:

I plan to have the timing belt & water pump, coolant hoses, oil cooler hoses, valve adjustment, valve gaskets, vtec solenoid gaskets and maybe some other gaskets that I missed replaced in the next couple of weeks (depending on schedule of tech, and parts availability).

FYI, I am located in Canada haha.

@white98ish Thanks for verifying.

@JD Cross No problem. That means the person who previously fiddled with the doors had re-installed them incorrectly. I'll try to address that this weekend and get replacement screws.

@Jinks Thanks! I think you got the positioning of the screws reversed based on the replies above. :tongue:

Best of luck with the NSX!

Keep us posted on your progress with the car.

Ken<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/34a89303/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I made it to the ministry of transportation office 15 minutes before they close and (finally) got it registered yesterday.

Next step is to get the appraisal done for insurance purposes.

Also, I want to wash the engine this weekend (if weather permits) before getting the appraisal done to maybe improve the value? So which components do I need to cover up? I know I have to cover up the alternator, fuse box and coil packs. Are there any other components I am missing?

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Call Tim Pliniak at Acura of Peoria.
He gives us a discount and free shipping on orders over $50.
866-347-8355

Tim has helped me find so many parts like this.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/df876a0c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Call Tim Pliniak at Acura of Peoria.
He gives us a discount and free shipping on orders over $50.
866-347-8355

Tim has helped me find so many parts like this.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com

<script src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/df876a0c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

+1 Tim knows his stuff. Ken, not trying to be a smartass but believe spelling of Tim's last name is Poliniak.

Best,
Jeff

@white98ish Thanks for verifying.
@JD Cross No problem. That means the person who previously fiddled with the doors had re-installed them incorrectly. I'll try to address that this weekend and get replacement screws.
@Jinks Thanks! I think you got the positioning of the screws reversed based on the replies above. :tongue:

Andrew
I've just removed my pass. side door panel to adjust the window slides and have to revisit the screws holding the door handle in.
The gold screws definitely go into the gold metal brackets and the black screws go into the black part on the handle.
The gold screws have a machined shoulder which fits into the slots on the gold metal bracket and ensure they line up correctly and don't allow any up or down movement of the door handle.
The black screws hold the front of the handle where there is less strain.
The gold screws go in first to ensure the correct vertical lineup.
The black screws go in second to hold the for/aft position.
So Jinks and I are correct in our recommendation.

[MENTION=5905]JD Cross[/MENTION] Thanks, Jim. I ended up finding a cap in the trunk when I was cleaning it out and it fits perfectly into the opening.

I have been documenting and photographing my progress so far. Just need to find time to create my build thread and upload pictures. Perhaps, it'll be something I look forward to during the winter time to keep myself busy haha.

Back