• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this 1990 worth 90k? Pics and info inside.

I’m getting closer to pulling the trigger on getting a RHD NSX (just a childhood dream) and I’ve found this car in the states for around 90k.

The cluster was replaced with a spoon cluster at some point so miles are unknown.

Underside is mostly clean with some surface rust. The red door panels definitely look a little dingy. Otherwise it looks pretty nice for a 34 year old car.

The car has an LSD in it and the seller says low speed tight corners are a bit jerky. Otherwise he said it drives great.

Really curious what y'all experts have to say. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1290.jpeg
    IMG_1290.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1299.jpeg
    IMG_1299.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1302.jpeg
    IMG_1302.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1303.jpeg
    IMG_1303.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
If you pay $90k for it, then it is worth $90k to you.

Driving a RHD car in a LHD is challenging and has a limited market.

That car is modded fairly well/highly and that has a more limited appeal. Non stock cats make registration difficult in some states. Presuming you are in the USA.

Manual RHD does go for a premium in RHD counties.

Right, I know it's a bit of a "how long is a stick" question, but I'm wondering if there is anything major that jumps out as a "holy heck don't buy this car for that price."

I am indeed in the USA. I did have a RHD S13 as a kid and I don't remember it being too terribly challenging. I think the RHD car just scratches an itch that I can't quite explain. I don't think the cats aren't a huge concern due to the age in my state (NY).

Welcome to NSX Prime! We can definitely help you find the right car.

Short version: that NSX is significantly overpriced. Real value is probably around $60k.

The corrosion on that NSX is normal for cars that lived in a salt-water environment whether in a costal area like Japan or in a state where they use salt on the roads in winter. Those bolts can be easily and cheaply replaced. It doesn't tell us much.

A good place for you to start is Prime's NSX valuation tool, which gives you some of the best data for the car's current market value. It's based on US data, but a RHD 1990 JDM car like this one can be approximated. Currently, the average value of an early pop-up coupe is about $68,000, assuming 100,000 miles. On your car, the mileage is unknown, but 100,000 is a good number to use for a very early NSX at this point. The value can go up or down from there. In this case, it probably goes down since the car is RHD (less desirable in the states), has unknown mileage, unknown maintenance history and is modified.

If the car has an LSD, then the trans has been opened. If it was done in Japan, I'd feel better, but there are very few people left in the US than can competently open and modify a NSX manual transmission without messing something up. Also, the condition of the engine would be informative. What are the compression and leak down numbers? Sea level warm compression should register above 200 psi and ideally above 220 for a truly healthy NSX engine.

Lastly, during the past few years we have become aware of unscrupulous people importing RHD NSXs from Japan with undisclosed crash damage (sometimes severe). Basically, the damage prevents the car from being registered in Japan, so they bring it over here in the hopes they can tap into the JDM car craze and find an unsuspecting buyer. Before laying any money down, I would have some basic frame measurements done to at least confirm the unibody and frame are square and inspect the side sills and front/rear beams for evidence of cutting, bending or welding.

Finally, you're going to have a tough time registering the car with the NYS DMV if the mileage is unknown. They may have exceptions for RHD cars (not sure), but they are really strict about the mileage.

Knowing all this, I'd pass on this one. FWIW, it is possible for a 1990 NSX to be worth $90,000 (or more), but that would mean a fully stock car with good paint, a fully documented maintenance history, no major body damage and a healthy engine/trans.

$90k is a big budget and would give you access to 90% of the NSXs for sale on the market. I would shop around a little longer, depending on what you’re looking for.

From the pics it looks to be somewhere between what Haggerty calls a "Fair" condition car (@$48K avg price) and the lower end of "Good" condition (@ $71K avg price). It doesn't look to have led a pampered life. I think $60K would be the top dollar for it or move on. Much better cars out there for $90K.

It looks one looks like the car has been used in the salt belt.

The bolts can be replaced for a few hundred dollars.

NY is CARB compliant as of 2023. If the car needs a smog check, this car will absolutely fail on visual. It will cost you many thousands to remediate.

An unregistered car needs to be punished in price to deal with the unknowns.

Last edited:
cars are priced based on condition/maintenance history /mileage...If this one is unknown/guesstimated by the current owner...pass this dutchy for a left hand drive..

Last edited:
NZ has extremely rigorous registration requirements, the car has to be darn there perfect to get registered. There are a few NSX's for sale right now including a 2002 though in AT.

Seems like a lot of Silverstone here...including mine.

edit: OP's NSX would not make it through compliance in NZ.

Last edited:
Back