• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Thursday SoCal to ALMS Caravan Thread

Hello All,

I though it was time to start the Thursday caravan thread. This caravan includes the O.C. group (main group) and the L.A. County group. I'm not the organizer, but this is what I know so far from the various posts to date.

A group of O.C. cars including I believe CoolNSX, are heading up the 405 to the 101 Ventura Freeway Thursday morning. They are currently planning to leave their meeting location in South O.C around 9 AM. CDX_NSX and I will be meeting up with the O.C. group somewhere along the 101 in the San Fernando Valley west of the 101/405 interchange. The location of the meet-up has not been determined. We can pick an off ramp or the O.C. group can radio (I have a club radio) or call us via cell phone to give us their position. CDX_NSX and I can get on the 101 ahead of them and travel in the slow lane until the OC group catches up to us.

The caravan will travel together up the 101 until we reach San Luis Obispo (SLO). We have yet to decide if we want to take the scenic route over the San Marcus Pass in Santa Barbara or stay on the 101 until we reach SLO. The group might want to consider stopping in Ventura or Santa Barbara for lunch.

At SLO CDX_NSX, jagtiger and I will break off and continue up to Monterrey via Highway 1. The O.C. group will continue up 101 to Paso Robles where they will spend the night. The O.C. group will then continue their trip Friday morning via Highway 46 to Highway 1 until they reach Monterrey.

Those going on the Thursday Caravan please list yourself and your starting group, i.e., O.C or L.A. Also list your hotel if you want so that we know where everyone is staying

1. mcano (Mario) – L.A. – Brother-in-Law’s House (Monterey)
2. CDX-NSX – L.A. - Embassy Suites
3. ajagtiger (Henry) - Hilton Garden Inn (Monterey)

Last edited:
Yup. I'm still on track for Thursday.

Mario, any ideas on where we should meet? Somewhere off of Baldwin, or maybe the Whole Foods or Best Buy parking lots?

Yup. I'm still on track for Thursday.

Mario, any ideas on where we should meet? Somewhere off of Baldwin, or maybe the Whole Foods or Best Buy parking lots?

How about at Starbucks at the west end of the Whole Foods parking lot. My wife needs her Starbucks before embarking on our adventure.

Mario

After everyone checks in, and if we are not too tired, we may want to get together for dinner. I'm staying with my brother-in-law who lives in Monterey. I'll check with him to see if he has any suggestions for a restaurant.

For those who have never seen an ALMS race, you are in for a real treat. I've seen at least two ALMS races at Laguna Seca over the past few years. The four classes of race cars all racing at the same time is special, and I really like Laguna Seca because it is a fan friendly track. You can walk around much of the track to get different view vantages. Even though we will have a dedicated grandstands and tent before turn 5, I strongly suggest that everyone walk up the hill to watch a part of the race along the famous "cork screw". Bring folding chairs, because there is no seating.

I'm really looking forward to caravaning up to Monterey and attending all three track days. I'm also excited to be able to get together with so many other NSX owners. Its going to be a great weekend!

Mario

Last edited:
3. ajagtiger (Henry) - Hilton Garden Inn (Monterey)
4. Ca AGNSX (Steve& Sandi) - OC- Marriott Monterey

Hello Steve,

Great to have you join the Thursday caravan. Since you are in Redondo, you may be able to meet up with OC Group some where along the 405. I'm suppose to hear from the OC group this week as to their starting/meeting place and meeting time.

Mario

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Jagtiger (Henry) - Torrance - Hilton Garden Inn (Monterey)
4. Ca AGNSX (Steve& Sandi) - OC- Marriott Monterey

I'm unfamiliar with the area, but have been looking for a point at which those of us coming in from the east can meet up with those coming up from the south.

I've spotted a couple of possibilities near the Balboa Blvd. on/off ramps.

The one to the north of the 101 appears to be a parking for the adjacent park, but the one to the south of the 101 I'm unsure about.

Maybe someone who knows that area could provide feedback on the feasibility of these two spots. It seems to be a good location since it's close to the 405/101 merge and parking is convenient to the on and off ramps.

attachment.php

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 348
Hello All,

We are about 3 weeks away from the big event, so we need to get working again on the travel plans for the Thursday caravan.

I have yet to hear from coolnsx on the final departure time and meeting location for the O.C. group so that we can calculate what time we (The East Group) would meet up with them in the San Fernando Valley. I’ll send coolnsx another PM to see if they have finalized their start time and meeting location. Regarding CDX_MSX’s post above of two possible meeting points, the parking area north of the 101 I believe is for Balboa Park in Encino, which appears to be the better of the two meeting locations.

Some of you have check-in times after 4:00 PM on Thursday. So, working backwards based on the travel times below, which include a lunch stop, some time for rush-hour traffic delays and one bathroom stop, we would need leave the Encino meeting point at 9 AM.

Meeting Point to Santa Barbara = 1.75 Hrs.
Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo = 1.75 Hrs.
Lunch in Santa Barbara or Los Olivos = 1 Hr.
San Luis Obispo to Monterey = 2.5 Hrs.
Total Time. = 7 Hrs.

According to one of coolnsx’s posts, the O.C. group was planning to leave their meeting spot around 9 AM. This would put them at the Encino rendezvous location between 10 – 10:30 AM. This would get us into Monterey around 5:00 and 5:30 PM. Would this be OK with everyone or should I try to see if the O.C. group would be willing to leave their meeting spot earlier?

As for a lunch stop. I suggest some where in the Santa Barbara area, or even better in Los Olivos (in wine country north of Santa Barbara). The Los Olivos Café, one of the film locations for the movie Sideways (http://www.losolivoscafe.com/) would be a nice place to eat. The cost is about $20 per couple plus wine – be careful. Another location that would have been great is Mattei's Tavern Brothers Restaurant in Los Olivos http://www.matteistavern.com/, but they are only open for dnner, which could be a consideration for the return trip on Sunday, if we are not totally burnt-out from the weekend’s events.

OK, I’ll contact coolnsx and see what info I can get and post it here later this week.

Regards,

Mario
(cell 626-676-3000)

Last edited:
Mario,

Everything looks good! Thanks for setting up our iterinary for Thursday. Cant wait..

:biggrin:

-Henry

Hey Everyone, we're getting close! :biggrin: I was told by the NSXCA President at NSXPO that Acura is pulling out all the stops to make Laguna Seca the best of the events this year!!
The O.C. guys are leaving from the NEC of Walnut and Culver in Irvine (Trader Joe's Center) at 9:30 am. Taking the #405 north to the #101 going west. Planned Pit Stop in Ventura area and proceed north.
Options-Waiting to hear what everyone thinks but a run up #154 and lunch in Solvang or Los Alamos sounds pretty good. :smile:
After lunch it would be #154 and #101 north to Paso Robles for the night.
Out of Paso Robles by 8 am Friday, Monterey by 10 am for track/aquarium/17 mile drive/shopping/sleep.
Hope we can catch all the L.A group in the west valley, I would guess it would be 10:50 am at the #405 and #101.
Don't forget about the mobil detailing for $80 at your hotel using your wax! :eek: You don't want RSO34 taking pictures of you car dirty do you.:rolleyes: PM me for info.
Speed Safely!
Gil

OK People,

Here is the tentative schedule and info for the Thursday Straight-Through Group.

8:30 AM - CDX-NSX and I (MCano) will meet at the Starbucks in Pasadena on the Northeast corner of Foothill Blvd. and Rosemead Blvd. We will depart around 8:45 AM to travel to the rendezvous location at the Balboa Sports Center parking lot on Burbank Blvd. just west of the intersection of Balboa Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. To get there head west on the 101 Ventura Freeway; take the BALBOA BLVD exit- EXIT 21 (second exit West of the 405) - toward ENCINO; turn RIGHT onto BALBOA BLVD and turn LEFT onto BURBANK BLVD. The parking lot is on the North (right) side of the road. See the aerial photo above, upper highlighted area.

The O.C. Group is planning on leaving Irvine +/- 9:15 AM and going north on 405 to pick up Ca AGNSX (Steve& Sandi). Under normal traffic conditions it takes about an hour to drive from Irvine to the Balboa Sports Center rendezvous location. However, it will likely take longer at that time in the morning and a few minutes will be taken up by their meeting-up with Ca AGNSX. So, I would guess that the OC Group will arrive at the Balboa Sports Center rendezvous location between 10:30 AM and 10:45 AM.

ajagtiger (Henry) and Ca AGNSX: Since you two will be becoming from the South Bay. You can either drive straight to the Balboa Sports Center rendezvous location or you can try and meet up with the O.C Group somewhere along the 405 Freeway. According to CoolNSX they are already planning to meet Ca AGNSX somewhere along the 405. Henry, you may want to contact Ca AGNSX and CoolNSX to arrange for a similar meeting.

Once everyone arrives at the Balboa Sports Center rendezvous location we can discuss the exact route to take to San Luis Obispo where will split off and also discuss the lunch stop. There are two ways to get to SLO, 1) stay on the 101 which stays near the coast or 2) take the 101 but in Santa Barbara take Highway 154 which takes us over the San Marcus Pass, which eventually meets up with the 101 North of Buellton. This route is very nice with some twisty roads and will allow us to stop for lunch at the Los Olivos Café.

This plan should put us in Monterey between 5 and 6 PM.

I will run this info by CoolNSX to ensure that the OC Group is in agreement. I’ll let you know if there are any changes.

Regards,

Mario
Cell 626-676-300
HM 626-355-1607

CA AGNSX,

Let me know if you plan on meeting the OC caravan along 405N ? otherwise I'll just head up straight to Balboa Sports Complex where Mario and CDX NSX will be waiting.

I'll have my club radio and V1 handy:wink:

-Henry

Last edited:
If you guys are running late and need to stop for lunch in the Ventura/Camarillo area, give me a call and I can meet you at a condusive place that's an easy on/off freeway wise. Also somewhere that won't be a huge time waster.
John :biggrin:

John, If things go as planned Solvang or Los Olivos would be the right time. Got any good recomendations at either City. Thanks for all your help, look forward to seeing you and the family next weekend. Gil

OT: Have you guys checked the weather report? It looks like its going to rain on Sat and the weather says 64 degrees high on Friday. I guess I better pack warm clothes.

I guess it depends on which site you check, but weather.com says "few showers", and AccuWeather.com says "partly sunny". Good idea to be prepared either way.

The rain in the forecast is Tues/Wed, nothing about rain this weekend. But you proably will need the warm clothes :biggrin:

I've been to this race several times, and it can get cool, particularly when the wind picks up. A couple of years ago they finished the race in a light drizzle.

So, bring warm clothing.

AS for lunch. Unless we are running late, again I suggest some where in the Santa Barbara area, or even better in Los Olivos (in wine country north of Santa Barbara). The Los Olivos Café, one of the film locations for the movie Sideways (http://www.losolivoscafe.com/) would be a nice place to eat.

Back