• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing-belt change? shop recommendation?

my other cars have timing chain, so i dont really have to worry about that, plus i never own a car long enough to worry about timing belt, but i really dont wanna mess up my nsx...

people mentioned about 60k / 7 yrs timing belt interval, some says 90k.

my car is 91 with 70k, should i look into that?

do you guys have any shop recommendation in south bay? i've heard about hilltop in daly city, but it's little far from where i live, im more worrying about the transportation back to south bay after dropping off the car.

price range?

usually timing belt services includes water pump change, maybe coolant hoses? anything else you guys recommend?

thanks in advance!

my other cars have timing chain, so i dont really have to worry about that, plus i never own a car long enough to worry about timing belt, but i really dont wanna mess up my nsx...

people mentioned about 60k / 7 yrs timing belt interval, some says 90k.

my car is 91 with 70k, should i look into that?

do you guys have any shop recommendation in south bay? i've heard about hilltop in daly city, but it's little far from where i live, im more worrying about the transportation back to south bay after dropping off the car.

price range?

usually timing belt services includes water pump change, maybe coolant hoses? anything else you guys recommend?

thanks in advance!

Wow so much has been written on this subject "search" is your friend.

Do you have the maintenance records (history)for your car??

Time alone would warrant you do this right away if it has never been performed on your car before now. That would include water pump replacement.

For example mine is a 91 with 56k and the timing belt and water pump have been replaced twice..... once in 2000 and earlier this year.

Last edited:
As Carlos indicated, if you don't have a maintenance history, a PPI (Post-Purchase Inspection in this case ;)) would be a good idea.

Foreign Affair in Santa Clara does a lot of NSX work. A number of us in the Bay area use them. They're not cheap, but they do know their stuff.

Last edited:
I just had mines done with NEW Acura OEM parts.

This is what it includes:

New timing belt
new water pump
Whatever OEM gaskets are needed to do the right work

All for $1300 with parts, labor and tax

The shop is located in Sunnyvale

Choice Auto
Owner is Charlie
408-749-1422

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...a=X&oi=local_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1

They have done work on the GTO and other cars.

Service is stellar and price is lower than anyone on this thread..........

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks so much BATMANs, $1300 sounds good!! how long does it take?

If he all the parts it takes a day.

It took a little longer since there were some back order on parts from Acura.

No problem.

I had this installed for safe measures:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121598&highlight=harmonic

A few people have lost engines due to it coming apart.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75746&highlight=harmonic

it's rare though, but since the engines are $10k~ it's a VERY cheap part.

Last edited:
Driving Ambition [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
2378 Gold River Road #11
Gold River, CA 95670 [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][email protected] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Phone[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]916-861-0032 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Fax[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
916-861-0039

As of March of this year

LABOR:
Replace timing belt, water pump, adjust valves (customer supplied) 7hrs@ 110.00 total 770.00

Timing Belt and Water Pump parts $326.00 shipped to the lower 48 states total $1096

or

TB & WP
$311 + shipping

Makes the trip to Sac worth it.

Shad is the best!

Last edited:
Driving Ambition [FONT=Verdana,Arial]
2378 Gold River Road #11
Gold River, CA 95670 [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Phone[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]916-861-0032 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial][FONT=Verdana,Arial]Fax[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
916-861-0039

As of March of this year

LABOR:
Replace timing belt, water pump, adjust valves (customer supplied) 7hrs@ 110.00 total 770.00

Timing Belt and Water Pump parts $326.00 shipped to the lower 48 states total $1096

or

TB & WP
$311 + shipping

Shad is the best!

that's a good price.

the problem with u sourcing out parts instead of letting the mechanic buy the parts (and probably making a small profit) is that if the parts were to fail, there would be finger pointing and the run around, being charged extra (punishment fees) to change out the parts.

that's a good price.

the problem with u sourcing out parts instead of letting the mechanic buy the parts (and probably making a small profit) is that if the parts were to fail, there would be finger pointing and the run around, being charged extra (punishment fees) to change out the parts.

Shad has no problem with you supplying the parts as long as they are new OEM Acura/Honda authentic parts.

I won't speak for Shad but in the time I have had to get to know him, I found he's not the type to shy away from resposibility if he thinks his part in the process played any part of any failure.

Driving Ambition
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] 2378 Gold River Road #11[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial] Gold River, CA 95670 [/FONT]

916-861-0039

As of March of this year

LABOR:

or

TB & WP
$311 + shipping

Shad is the best!

I'm thinking about getting the same service done this year. Are there any parts needed for the valve adjustments? I thought it was all labor.

I'm thinking about getting the same service done this year. Are there any parts needed for the valve adjustments? I thought it was all labor.

only money is required..:wink:

@NSFRBLX: Thanks for the shop and parts source recommendation, i really appreciate that. But sacramento is really too far from me, and ill doubt they will let me wait there for 7+ hours

i will try to get the parts from the website you provided tho. Thanks!

Do you guys have a complete list of what needs to be done along with timing belt service? i'm willing to do little more preventive service while im at it.

+1 for Shad and Ryan at Driving Ambition!

Just got my car back 1 hour ago from having the Timing belt / Water pump / valve clearance check (adjust if needed) / oil pan gasket replacement / replace all drive belts and valve cover gaskets and seals.

Shad and Ryan are very helpful and will not BS with you.

I bought cam seals and plugs in case mine were leaking and let them have it. Shad reported they were not leaking so they didn't charge me for the potential 2.5 hours of labor. I know some shops would have taken advantage and told me the seals were leaking just to make an extra buck.

Aristobb, some other things you may want to get are: valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals, cam seals and plugs (if needed), VTEC spool gaskets (if needed), and possibly oil pan gasket (if needed).

I plan on changing my fuel filter and thermostat next weekend also.

Hope this helps...

Dan

Just curious, does Shad drop the engine while doing the WP/TB service?

Don't know. You can call and ask him though.

Another recommendation for Shad/Ryan at Driving Ambition. Just picked up my car from them after they swapped in a non-snap ring range 5 spd from a 95 and installed an RPS clutch, Comptech dampener delete and new slave cylinder. Work was completed on time and at a very reasonable price. Couldn't be happier. :biggrin:

I've used Hilltop and like the work that they did in the past.

They charge $1800 for the same service and parts.

Don at Hiltop charges much less than $1800 & they do a lot more than just timing belt & water pump for less than that. When comparing prices, keep in mind & make sure that you are comparing apple to apple because others may not be doing it right or omitting certain parts. If you are looking for experience, quality & price, then Hilltop www.hilltopautoservice.com should meet your expectations. If you are just looking for price & willing to let someone who is not so experienced to work on your NSX as an experiment to gain hands on opportunity, then it's another story. Some folks had their timing belt job done somewhere else. They end up taking it to Don to fix it right b/c something was screw up & the car just didn't run right afterward. Last year when Don was closed for vacation & a customer had his belt snap on the freeway. So he had to take it somewhere else. When Don returned from vacation, he took it to Don b/c it was not running right. Don told him exactly what is wrong & advices him to bring it back to where he had it fix for warranty. However, the customer would rather pay Don to redo it instead.

Back