• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Timing belt water pump

Just bought an 00 with 16k on it. Plan on keeping it forever so I think it's best to have the tb service done. Any suggestions on where to have it done, I'm in NJ about 20 min fr Newark airport. It seems Larry b is the man for this. Just checking to see if anyone has any other referrals.

Use Larry. Money well spent. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows as much about the NSX as Larry.

There are no other referrals or options especially in this area...don't even think of a dealer...:eek:

Tytus

There are no other referrals or options especially in this area...
Oh, I wouldn't say that. The Kid's dealership in central Jersey (New Brunswick area) would be okay, and so would Davis Acura near Trenton. But they will certainly be more expensive than Larry B. I'd take my car to Larry, for sure, but if he's backed up and you need it fast, there are other options who can get the job done properly.

You already knew the correct answer, it's Larry B, get it done right.

There is no rush with only 16k. Set up with Larry in the off season or call him to discuss when things are slow. Enjoy the car now.

There is no rush with only 16k.
Not true. Acura/Honda recommends replacing the timing belt after 105K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. It's now five years overdue! :eek: You could be very, very sorry if the belt fails, and you find out the hard way how much a replacement engine costs. (It's way more than the cost of changing the timing belt.)

I'd take my car to Larry, for sure, but if he's backed up and you need it fast, there are other options who can get the job done properly.

I understand and know that, what you are saying Ken, age of the belt is reason for concern, even more so than miles due to the material. What I am saying is, would a few more months of driving on a five year due belt be that critical at this point in time that he should panic, not use the car and get it done ASAP at another place if Larry is backed-up?

Just trying to understand what you meant by: if you need it fast? I read into that meaning you shouldn't be using the car. Is that what you meant?

I understand and know that, what you are saying Ken, age of the belt is reason for concern, even more so than miles due to the material. What I am saying is, would a few more months of driving on a five year due belt be that critical at this point in time that he should panic, not use the car and get it done ASAP at another place if Larry is backed-up?

Just trying to understand what you meant by: if you need it fast? I read into that meaning you shouldn't be using the car. Is that what you meant?
I meant them as two different unrelated items; the comment about Bridgewater and Davis was in response to the claim that no one else in the area can ever work on them.

Larry can usually get service done in a matter of weeks, or even a matter of days if he's not backed up. Some times of the year he gets swamped, other times he doesn't.

If it were my car, I'd schedule the timing belt for as soon as Larry can get to it, hopefully within a month or so. I wouldn't be afraid to use the car occasionally in the meantime, but I sure wouldn't put it off till winter as you were apparently suggesting, and I wouldn't take it on any long trips till the belt is changed. Twelve years on a timing belt is a long time to stretch the service interval.

Last edited:
I hear Larry is busy now Spring is here. If you are keeping the car forever, might as well get it done.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. The Kid's dealership in central Jersey (New Brunswick area) would be okay, and so would Davis Acura near Trenton. But they will certainly be more expensive than Larry B. I'd take my car to Larry, for sure, but if he's backed up and you need it fast, there are other options who can get the job done properly.

I have seen the Kid give his car to Larry...they must have been too busy at his own dealership...:rolleyes:

If one has no other alternative and is in a pinch I'm sure the few dealers you mentioned are fine but no others in the area, but they are not Larry or equal to Larry. Ask me how I know...

Tytus

Indeed, Larry is the best choice, and yes, Mike aka "The Kid" prefers Larry for service. If Larry is totally booked, and can't get you in, then Bernie at Davis is the "go to" second best choice. You will not be disappointed with either of them.

Spoke to Larry yesterday. Great guy. Put me on the schedule for his next available slot which is a few weeks out. This is his busy time as everyone is trying to get their cars on the road. Thanks for the help. Larry thinks I will be fine in the meantime as the car had been in a showroom environment for the past 6 years. Let's hope he's right.

Indeed, Larry is the best choice, and yes, Mike aka "The Kid" prefers Larry for service. If Larry is totally booked, and can't get you in, then Bernie at Davis is the "go to" second best choice. You will not be disappointed with either of them.

OP is all set with larry and of course cant go wrong there, but for future searches... Bernie is absolutely great and when I had my 99 I got TB/WP done with him at Davis. Nice bonus was the dealer service treatment which meant loaner car, dealer paperwork, etc.

It was pricey for sure, but not too horrible... I believe I paid around $2k for TB/WP, new battery and any other things Bernie thought it needed (which I think amounted to valve guide adjustment, possibly plugs and an oil change - memory is fuzzy now :))

Larry?

7538M.jpg

Spoke to Larry yesterday. Great guy. Put me on the schedule for his next available slot which is a few weeks out. This is his busy time as everyone is trying to get their cars on the road. Thanks for the help. Larry thinks I will be fine in the meantime as the car had been in a showroom environment for the past 6 years. Let's hope he's right.

Don't lose any sleep over it and enjoy the car now. As Larry said, showroom environment ....... piece of cake! You made the right decision to go with him in a few weeks. And for now, get out on the road and don't worry. :smile:

I met Dave on Sunday at C&C in Chatham, the car is mint!!! Looks showroom new, and he made the right decision to have Larry take care of things ASAP. Why take a chance, the engine costs too much, and hasn't even been broken in yet!!

How do i contact Larry B ?
can anyone provide me a phone number

Go to the members list and look up Larry Bastanza...then send him a PM.

Tytus

Back