• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Tint Removal in So Cal

Can anyone recommend a place local to or near the 626 area for tint removal? Particularly a place that's familiar with the NSX. I've inquired with several shops and was told it would take a few hours, which means the car will be away from my sight, vulnerable to joy rides. It seems as though some have never seen an NSX before which is what gets me worried.

Thanks SoCal members. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the side windows are easy. if you have the engine cover glass tinted, that will take longer because they have to bake the tint before pulling it off, otherwise they will rip the defrost lines / antenna

NSX3Tek: Thats for sure! Just difficult to trust people these days with your car. I only trust a handful of people doing work on my car.

junior40er: Dayum! I gotta find a place with an old ass lady, and for $15 wow! If I wasn't that far from Victorville, I'd go to that place in a heartbeat! You know in my head I questioned it when they'd say it'll take a few hours. A few hours is what it takes to put on tint not removing it. I kept thinking what they would do with my car within those "few hours." Lol

Last time i have my windows tint removed and install new tint, I waited there for half a day till it's done. That's the only way if u don't trust them.

NSX3Tek: Thats for sure! Just difficult to trust people these days with your car. I only trust a handful of people doing work on my car.

junior40er: Dayum! I gotta find a place with an old ass lady, and for $15 wow! If I wasn't that far from Victorville, I'd go to that place in a heartbeat! You know in my head I questioned it when they'd say it'll take a few hours. A few hours is what it takes to put on tint not removing it. I kept thinking what they would do with my car within those "few hours." Lol
a few hours to put on tint? that can't be right, i give them 1 hour max. that's how long they tinted all windows on my s550 last time. if you want to remove tint from the rear window with defroster, trust me, you don't want to rush. but if you don't have that tint and only side windows and they told you few hours, then it's definitely not right

Ric: Sounds like the only other solution. Just stay and oversee it.

irv_lex: Thanks for the input bud! I do unfortunately have the rear hatch tinted also and want it removed. But you're right, I don't want to rush the rear glass, specially with it involving the defrosters.

I'm still open to the idea if anyone knows a good place locally. Otherwise I'll just suck it up and wait around while they do it.

California Tint in Rosemead does a great job. If not you can do it yourself using a heat gun and some solution. Look up YouTube videos on tint removal-- you'll be surprised how fast and easy it is to take off and what solution to use.

PM'd you

Last edited:
The fastest, easiest way to remove the tint yourself is with a steamer. Buy one for around $30 at Walmart and do it yourself. There are youtube vids to guide you with the process but it is very simple........had to do it last week cuz my girlfriend got a tint ticket

Youtube has a lot of How-Tos..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L9vzJDUM5Ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3XokvcxRYBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^ that's how I did it. Just picked up a $15 clothes steamer. It took about an hour but wasn't difficult at all and came off clean with no residue left behind.

Thanks Hapa88!

I saw those vids...and I'm thinking I might do the sides myself with a heatgun - since Harbor Freight Tools has a cheap one for sale. The rear glass with the defroster is what I'm worried about and I may just have a professional do it. I know it can be done with ammonia or alcohol, a black trash bag, and a little setting time. But it looks a little time consuming.

Thanks for the input guys!

Length of time to remove the tint depends on the condition of your old tint. Just had the nasty old dried up cracking purpling tint on my 85' Supra redone by my trusted shop in Cypress a couple weeks ago. ("Made in the Shade" off Lincoln blvd), and he spent several hours on it to steam the crusted tint off the back hatch. That was the only way to remove dried out tint without damaging the defrost lines. It cost me $150 for removal and retint of 5 windows.

I tinted the side windows of my WRX myself using you tube videos, and it's a fun project to try. It came out nice, but I wouldn't want to do it again... especially considering how inexpensive it is to have someone else do it.

Back