• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire Eater ?

OK i know you guys are gonna say don't buy such an expensive car if you're gonna be cheap on tires.

But i can barely afford the car - probably a 95 cuz i luv the T esp in N.Cali - and I will drive the crap out of it as a daily driver but i honestly cannot afford to spent so much on tires.

I'm willing to sacrifice a little performance for significantly longer tire life.

The main reason i like the NSX is not cuz i want to drive fast but it looks awesome and is very exclusive.

With these considerations, can anyone recommend a tire from their experience (yes i already read the FAQ but it is contradictory).

Thanks !!

There is no doubt the NSX goes through tires faster than most cars, however there are a couple of things you can do to mitigate that tendancy. First, get the suspension aligned to the 'low tire wear' specs. This takes a lot of the negative camber out. Also, use tires with a higher wear rating than the gooey Yokos. You can get 8K -12K out of rear set if you do both of these things. Not great, but about twice the life of tires if you don't.

OK i know you guys are gonna say don't buy such an expensive car if you're gonna be cheap on tires.

Don't buy such an expensive car if you're gonna be cheap on tires.
biggrin.gif

But i can barely afford the car - probably a 95 cuz i luv the T esp in N.Cali - and I will drive the crap out of it as a daily driver but i honestly cannot afford to spent so much on tires.

Then what are you planning to do, then, if (just for example) your clutch needs replacing and you can't afford a $2000 repair?

Not trying to flame you, just trying to inject a dose of reality. If you can just barely afford the car and you can't afford the tires, you really can't afford the car.

This is not a flame either but if you're that sensitive to the cost of tires maybe you should look at a different car. If you think tires are expensive then you sure better hope nothing else needs to be fixed.

To answer your question, probably the biggest single thing you can do is keep the car's alignment perfect. Soft or hard tires get trashed really fast if the alignment is screwed up. A good alignment will cost min $200.

The other thing you need to do is keep a really good eye on tire pressure. I'm running OEM tires and now have about 8k miles all around. I've had 2 alignment with those miles. The wear is really even and I have about 3/8th to 1/4th left on every tire.

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Back