• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tire ordering months apart.

Hey guys,

1993 NSX 5 Speed Manual with 17 and 18" 5Zigen FN01R-C wheels (Not sure offset or exact width)

I believe it has 17 x 7 up front and 18x9 in the rear? (Going to need to dismount wheels and check for sure)

Anyways, last month we ordered some 275/35 R18 Dunlop DZ102's for the rear with plans to change out the front tires later down the road.
(Rear tires) http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d....do&fl=&pc=29029&counter=0&ar=35&rd=18&cs=275

Fast forward to now, and the 215/40 R17's we need for the front aren't being manufactured any longer...

I called TireRack up and they said production ceased as of January of this year. They do have 205/50R17's but those will be a 25.1" tall tire whereare the 275's are a 25.6" tall tire.. I also don't want to risk such a tall tire rubbing anywhere in the wheel tubs.

Next part is I'm afraid it'll throw of the TCS computer:

The OEM ratios are:
91-93: 7.75%
94-01: 4.65%
02-05: 5.30%

So you want to be within a few percent of those.

Lastly, I just decided to search for a slimmer 205 offering and saw Dunlop did sell these; Just checking if they're in stock.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d....do&fl=&pc=29777&counter=0&ar=45&rd=17&cs=205

http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

- - - Updated - - -

Basically, I wanted to ask if anyone runs this size up front on their NA1 and has any trouble with rubbing or triggering the TCS to go crazy..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+DZ102&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=045WR7DZ102XL&tab=Sizes

205/45r17
275/35/r18

Last edited:
The 205/45r17 & 275/35r18 has a ~5.4% oversize rear, which isn't too far from the ~7.7% you want. Though you start to get into a pretty sizeable width difference F-R. Plus, and more importantly, it seems likely those oversize fronts would rub the fender liners or inside fender well.

Do you really care about matching the front and rear? There are other options that would likely work just fine with your DZ102 rear, like the HTR ZII or the dreaded S.drive. Or you could go to a slightly higher performance tire in front, understanding that would lead to oversteer when you exceed the limits of the rear tire (because at that point the front tires would be offering higher limits), such as the P Zero Nero GT or Ecsta LE Sport. But you could move to a matching rear tire when the time came (255/35 for the PZero Nero GT, and 265/35 for the Ecsta LE Sport).

Hmm, I was partial to continuance of brand for the front and rear, but the HTR doesn't seem like a bad choice.

This car sees virtually no sprited driving or driving at the limits, so I don't need the grippy-est tires.
Why is the Sdrive so dreaded?

Lastly, I'm hoping someone can chime in to see if the 205/45-17"s would rub or not.

Thanks for such a prompt reply!

i have Yoko S.drives,and they are surprisingly good. I got them on the recommendation of Honcho,a very knowledgeable member on here and Ben,a great NSX mechanic. Turn-in and overall handling are great, the ride is firm, they just give up some ultimate grip to the highest performance tires. They are not much worse than the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11's, an extreme performance tire,that I had before the S.drives, and are light years better than Dunlop Direzza DZ-101's, another ultra high perf category tire I once tried,which were horrible.

to me the good performance of the S.drives shows that the different performance categories at tire rack are just guidelines,not rigidly defined absolutes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I spoke with different stores and in the ended we decided to go with a different tire in the appropriate size.

Ordered up some S drives in 215/40-17 for the front to be paired with the Dz102's in 275/35-18 for the rear. I'll toss some Pics up once they're mounted.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back