• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need 17/18 inch tire recommendations for 1991 NSX

I have a 1991 Acura NSX. I have 215/40/17 in the front, and 275/35/18 in the back. I have the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Around where I live, there are vertical grooves in the freeway. Seems like the Dunlops tramlined in those grooves. They had vertical grooves in the tire.

I called Tire Rack and they had Kumho Ecsta PS31, Sumitomo HTR ZII, Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec, Dunlop Direzza Z3, and Falken Azenis RT615K+. They recommended the Dunlop Z3.

My local Mountain View Tire had Nexen NFERA.

I am open to a slightly different size to get a better tire like the Michelins or Continentals.

Which tire would you recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Z3 or the Sumitomo.

Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!
John

I have the Advan AD08R tires and like them. They do exhibit tramlining if the highway has ruts. I am also running -1.64 camber in the front so that will exacerbate the tramlining effect, but I wanted an alignment biased for the track. Great on the street, but even better on the track. Get these things hot and they stick like glue.

No 275 size however. The AD08R comes in a 265/35-18. Assuming you have a 10" wide rear wheel, you will not notice the difference.

I wish Michelin would make a 215/40-17 in the Pilot Sport 4S. I'd be all over that.

As a side note, I see Tire Rack has the BFG
G-FORCE R1 S in my sizes (215/40-17 & 265/35-18) now. Great news for track days. Now to find a spare set of wheels . . .

Last edited:
I have a 1991 Acura NSX. I have 215/40/17 in the front, and 275/35/18 in the back. I have the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec. Around where I live, there are vertical grooves in the freeway. Seems like the Dunlops tramlined in those grooves. They had vertical grooves in the tire.

I called Tire Rack and they had Kumho Ecsta PS31, Sumitomo HTR ZII, Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Spec, Dunlop Direzza Z3, and Falken Azenis RT615K+. They recommended the Dunlop Z3.

My local Mountain View Tire had Nexen NFERA.

I am open to a slightly different size to get a better tire like the Michelins or Continentals.

Which tire would you recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Dunlop Z3 or the Sumitomo.

Which do you recommend and why?

Thanks!
John
I have the Sumitomos and like them. Great price, decent grip, good tread wear, and quiet its entire life.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Back