• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tires - don't know what to do!!

Nice to be here!!

My '91 NSX deparately needs new front tires. The back tires are fine. I'm not sure what to do. It's not easy [where I live] to find new Yokohama's [like the one's that came with the car] and was wondering if it would be OK to put Dunlop SP8000's [or some other brand - any suggestions??] on the front while leaving the Yokohama's on the back. I'm also wondering if it might be best to get 4 new Dunlops. I understand the SP8000's have a 200 wear rating compared to the Yoko's 120. I assume that means the Dunlops would last longer. Tires that last longer would be great - but I do NOT want to do anything that would ruin the handling of my car. I don't plan on upgrading the SIZE of the tires/wheels and I never plan on taking my NSX to the 'track'.

ALSO - when someone says that so-and-so tires are better 'at the limit' - does that really matter to someone like me who only occasionally 'zooms' around a winding mountain highway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [I haven't been able to drive my NSX for over 2 weeks now - because of the tires]
frown.gif

Thanks!!
Craig!!
smile.gif

Craig,

First I really would not recommend mixing tires, JMO. It can have ill effects. So I would recommend you change all 4 if you change from OEM.

I would say you will compomise the handling depending on what you get as replacements. I purchased a set of Yokohama AVSi tires for my stock 1991 wheels and they were terrible. The car had to "take a set" in the turns and it was just a bad feeling.

The OEM Yoko's have nice stiff sidewalls and they are always "set" from the start. I know they made a Dunlop SP8050 at one time that was, I believe like the OEM's, but I think they are not available anymore. Many folks raved about them.

"At the Limit" is the limit of adhesion for the tire on the road. I do not think you will get near that on the street, and if you do, you will enjoy the scenery of the weeds on the side of the road. I get the sense you are a little more "stable" then that!

So, I conclude OEM's will be best, another choice (all 4) depending on what you pick will be close, and mixing is not a good idea.

I am sure you will get many responses about experiences with many different tires, so you will get a lot of choices non-OEM that folks really like.

On the up side, non-OEM tires will definately give you more life. The other choice is to change your alignment to minimize wear, many folks do that also.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 12 July 2002).]

Craig, I would not mix tires if were you. As a basic fundamental rule of saftey it is plain unwise. It can cause erratic handling, different levels of hydroplaning resistance on water, more or less grip on one end of the vehicle, etc. I am not here to sell anything, but if you find yourself unable to find the tires my place of employment (www.tirerack.com) can ship them to you in Canada very resonably. If you were going to use another tire besides an original equiptment (like a bridgestone S-03 or Dunlop 8000) that would be fine as long as you were using 4 of the same. First and foremost, be safe! As far as you "finding the limit" it can happen easier than you think. I would bet that most of the totalled vin numbers Lud collects happen on the street and not the track, and if we asked any of those people that may have been the first time or so that they "found the limit".
Just my $0.02
Aaron

Originally posted by CanadaCraig:
Nice to be here!!
After doing a TIRERACK check i bought a set of Michelin Pilots---excellent. Better adhesion wet or dry, quieter, better ride, better wear. Especially better in wet, the Potenza's are dreadful unless they are brand new! KiwiManson

Craig,

I agree with Larry - not only about not mixing tires, but about the OEM tires. Since you're most concerned with handling, then get a pair of the Yokohama A022H for the front of your car. They are terrific! Remember, the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H or Bridgestone RE010) are the only tires that were designed specifically for the NSX, with each tire designed for a specific corner of the car. This enabled their designers to build in bias that works with the alignment of the NSX, and slightly different compounds front vs rear. You can read more about them in the FAQ here.

Shipping tires across the border is easy. Aaron's employer, Tire Rack, is "America's Premier High Performance Tire & Wheel Distributor". Their sales people are extremely knowledgeable and their service is top-notch. Plus, you can order right off their website. A web search shows that they have left front and right front A022H tires in stock for USD165 each.

Thanks Larry, AaronR, Kiwimanson and nsxtasy!!

I appreciate the advice!!

I decided to buy a new set of [original type] Yoko's from 'The Tire Rack'. Not sure when they'll get 'here' - but sometime soon - I hope. I made the shipping address my Acura dealer - so that will save me from having to buy a new [and MUCH bigger] mailbox!!

Thanks again!!
Craig

ps I get the feeling 'The Tire Rack' and ME are going to become 'good friends'. [especially since I have no plans to sell my NSX - at least not anytime soon!]

Craig, no problem! I can speak for Larry and Ken whenI say we are all very happy that you decided not to mix tires on your car
smile.gif
I took a look at your order and you should see the tires in about 5 to 7 working days. Enjoy!
Aaron

Back