• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tires...

A tad off the thread, but maybe not: I'm about to hit 4,300 miles on my NSX. Original Yokos with the exception of one newer Yoko in the front.

Rears are starting to look disturbingly low on thread, almost overnight.

The remaining tread on the original front is odd though: on the inside of the tire the "rear" (the part that hits the asphalt first going forward) of each of the notches is hugely more worn than the front end (is this called "feathered"?)

Maybe normal. Anyone know the answer?

I got about 10K on the rears w/Bridgestone OEM. Have 6K miles on Yoko OEMs and they have plenty of tread depth left. This is in 95 and 99 NSXs, respectively. Are you guys doing repeated smokey burnouts or something? Most of the mileage on the 99 NSX has been spent in the Santa Cruz mountains with lots of lateral load in a s/c car that has seen an occasional(!) smokey burnout too, but my tires look fine...

YMMV,

--twc

To add another element to this thread, I have the Comptech non-compliance rear suspension member (highly recommend it), so I have been able to dial out most of the camber on my car with no impact on the handling and better tracking on the highway. In addition, I have 14,000 miles on my Pilots and they are in pretty good shape in the rear and in great shape on the front.

If you read the old articles on modified NSXs (esp. the yellow Comptech car), you will see that almost all of the testers remarked on the improvement with the non-compliance beam. No flexy bushings --> less need for camber --> better handling --> bonus of longer tire life.

Of all of the modifications to my car (and there are many), this is one of the best in the long run.

If you still have lots of tread on the Bridgestone fronts, get another set of Bridgestones for the rear. Once those wear out, the fronts will be ready to go too, so you can replace all four at the same time.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the Bridgestones through Tire Rack (Discount Tires Direct doesn't appear to carry them). My NEXT set will be the OEM Yokos...

As for me, I tried to order Yoko's through DTD for member discount but the right rear was not available and I need ALL four tires NOW. The fronts are worn on the inside and the rears are low and I am going to Orlando for the Exotic Auto Show next weekend. I would rather not chance putting that many miles on these tires - besides which I'll be putting about 200 on this weekend. Since the Yoko's were not available I decided to try something different and went with Toyo Proxes TS1's. These have gotten good reviews from other members and the sizes work OK. I did go plus size at 225/45/16 and 265/40/17 - should fit on OEM rims.. I hope these are not enough to mess up my acceleration too much. I'll take some times with my Gtech before/after the tires are swapped to find out.

------------------
BobsYT
2000 Red/Black #81

The place I have always gone to is Chatsworth Tire. It's a bit out of the way, but it's an excellent place and their prices are cheap (about equal to the discount tire sites). You can tell it's a very popular place because it's absolutely PACKED on Saturdays. You see a lot of performace cars there.
The Goodyears on my vette cost $350 from Goodyear, and only $220 a piece through Chatsworth Tire, so I save $130 per tire. Plus, it saves me the trouble of ordering them and then dragging them to a shop. They give me a great price, have the tires there next day, and I just show up on Saturday to get it done. They mount them either for free or for $20-40 bucks including alignment, fcorget. You could probably find tires for slightly less on tirerack, but sometimes it's not worth the hassle. Just an additional opinion since you're in LA too.

Back