• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tlx pmc

Costs to repair on a BMW isn’t cheap. Never said that. However, since buying my mdx brand new and putting 85k gentle miles on, performing all scheduled maintenance at the dealer it has needed an ac compressor, catalytic converters, and a whopping 6700 dollar transmission most recently. It’s no secrete that Acura transmissions fail, Google it. I also got a letter from Honda saying that my car may experience piston rings leaks which can lead to an engine failure. Which is no longer covered due to age of the vehicle. My 5 series BMW had none of this... I think I replaced a AC blower motor, an alternator, and had the radio lcd repaired within 130k miles outside of regular maintenance/wear and tear items.

Again, meh. At this point I'm likely to downgrade to an Accord Sport 2.0t manual car, now that Honda has smartly featured up the Sport. That, or I may buy out my TLX. With a Sprint Booster, it's become a fun little car and I love the way it looks in Still Night Blue. Or....if I spend a little (OK, a LOT) more, maybe an Audi RS5 Sportback.

I am moaning over this particular "special" TLX being without a manual transmission. It would have sold every copy had it been manual, and I would have been one of them. If Acura changes their mind and offers up a manual version of the PMC edition, I will find a way to break my lease. Not kidding.

Honda's still look good. I don't know what the hell is going on over at Acura, but the tension shows in their product line. The MDX A-spec is about the only car other than the Nsx which has a whopping price tag that actually looks presentable in my eyes. Then, you take it to a dealer and the tension/stupidity rears it's ugly head even more...
For example, my MDX spent 3 weeks, yes three weeks in the dealer for a new transmission and I had to take it back due to noises which was a fluid issue they claimed. I did however get a small taste of just how crappy a TLX is. But, it was electric blue with orchid color interior and interwoven wheels. What an ugly POS nsx wanna be...
[MENTION=3821]DocL[/MENTION]. :biggrin:

I have a buddy that bought an Audi RS5 about 6 months ago and 6500 miles. Upscale Audi product, and "German engineering"..... It's been at the dealer now for over 30 days while they try to figure out engine management issues related to the computer system. Audi has given up and are taking the car back and giving him a new 19' model...... I had an Audi decades ago, and it was the worst piece of shit I had ever owned, and I swore never ever to own a German car the rest of my life. My son had a BMW 328! and it was junk and a money pit. The Porsche GT3 sure looks amazing to me , but even if I could afford it, not sure I would take the risk, at least not out of warranty......

The point is that all cars are susceptible to major problems, and I agree with the comment above that cars are now extremely complicated. I long for the 70's where you could diagnose and fix your own car. Technology is great until it bites you in the ass.

And speaking of the 70s didn't you love how you could stand in the engine bay while working on some of those cars! Yes, simpler times. For me the "mamma bear" vehicles were the Nissan Maximas I had (1989 and 1993 SE twin cammer -- sweet car) and the Gen III TLs. All of the other daily drivers were either very meh or too complicated and trouble-prone like my Audi.

Sometimes I think about offloading the NSX and getting a 911 which is better suited to actually being driven over our crap roads than the NSX. But when I have those thoughts the words of one of the best NSX technicians who has worked from Honda/Acura for 25+ years but spent a few years with Porsche come to mind. He said there are two words that are never to be used in the same sentence -- Porsche and reliability. I wonder if that's indeed the case. Google Nick Murray Porsche and watch his videos about not one but two 911s that Porsche bought back from him. Awful. However, as we know, this can also happen with a new NSX. I guess you just have to be lucky.

I'm still hoping that Mr. Ikeda comes through with another Acura sedan that speaks to me the way the Gen III TL did when it was introduced.

Best,
Jeff

I'm still hoping that Mr. Ikeda comes through with another Acura sedan that speaks to me the way the Gen III TL did when it was introduced.

I had the true pleasure of being one of the first 3G TL owners. It was, and still is, one of the best cars I've ever owned. I don't miss it quite as much as my S2000, but it's pretty close. Believe it or not, the TLX, at least in A-Spec form, is ALMOST there. I know others here will disagree with me, but I've lived with one for almost two years now and I can tell you that it appears Acura was aiming to make a spiritual successor to the 3G. With a better transmission (sorry, ZF9 is trash), maybe even a DCT, the TLX can be a contender. Hoping the new one coming out does the job.

I also agree with the "too much tech" complaints. It's yet another reason I enjoy my gen 1 NSX so much, it has just enough tech to keep me out of trouble, and not so much that it intrudes.

What killed the TLX for me was a combination of three factors. First the ZF transmission was awful and proved to be very trouble-prone, second "Honey They Shrunk the Kids" -- despite Acura trying to maintain that the TLX was pretty much same size as the Gen III TL that just is not the case -- much tighter back seat and my then 12 year old said not enough room when compared to the Gen III, and, finally, the FWD car with the PAWS handled poorly and the engagement of the PAWS made it even more weird -- felt I was being pushed into the SH-AWD car to mitigate the weird handling. If the next TLX ditches the ZF, grows a bit so that interior room is more on par with the Accord and the aesthetics are more to my liking than the Accord I will most certainly consider replacing the A6 with one.

Neuronbob seems you and I come from the same place -- Gen III owners, first gen NSX owners and if I recall correctly (could be wrong) you had an Audi for a while before going over to the TLX as I think I've seen you on either Audizine or AW.

Best,
Jeff

I have a buddy that bought an Audi RS5 about 6 months ago and 6500 miles. Upscale Audi product, and "German engineering"..... It's been at the dealer now for over 30 days while they try to figure out engine management issues related to the computer system. Audi has given up and are taking the car back and giving him a new 19' model...... I had an Audi decades ago, and it was the worst piece of shit I had ever owned, and I swore never ever to own a German car the rest of my life......

I have had my Audi RS5 for 4 years now. 32K miles and only front rotors (free-warranty) and pads all around replaced.A bad sensor in the rear wing deploy system (warranty) and NOTHING ELSE. 3 free scheduled services (AudiCare) performed so far.
Before the Audi my DD for 5 years was a GTR/R35. I had lost count of my visits to the dealer and the $ spent.

Last edited:
the FWD car with the PAWS handled poorly and the engagement of the PAWS made it even more weird -- felt I was being pushed into the SH-AWD car to mitigate the weird handling. If the next TLX ditches the ZF

The PAWS car is better for everyday use as the rear steer makes the car feel smaller than it is. U turns and driving to maybe 80% of the limit. The SHAWD car with the torque vectoring really only works it’s magic when you’re driving it hard. It can’t vector any torque if there’s no torque input to the rear differential. So it’s a little more situational.

I doubt I’m giving away anything by saying that if the new 10AT would’ve fit the floorpan, they’d have already put it in the current TLX. But with the new car less than a year away, I’m sure that ZF9 is gone. Lots of engineers at Honda immediately regretted buying in an outside unit.

MasterNSX I'm sure you are correct as regards operation of SH-AWD. As for the PAWS car it just felt strange to me and the overall feel of the suspension/handling was no improvement over my Gen III TL in my estimation. In fact I felt it was a step backwards. No matter. The existing TLX platform is not for me. Hoping that the re-do will tick my boxes. If not, once our Audi fleet disappears (2-2.5 years from now) I am sure our trusty old 04 TL will still be around. I'll default to that if necessary.

Best,
Jeff

I had a 2006 TL and a 2011 TL, the TLX was a big step backwards and I was never interested in it. I ended up getting a RLX instead.

Makes me nuts that the TLX was a step backwards. The Gen III was such a great all-rounder. It exceeded my expectations of a daily driver in pretty much every respect. Pleasant ride, decent handling for a FWD sedan, aesthetics (IMHO one of best looking Japanese sedans ever -- still looks modern/fresh), sufficient power for my needs, 28-32 mpg highway and low 20s in city, reliable and fairly low running costs, roomy interior and large trunk, fully equipped in base trim and (important to me) knobs and buttons -- no touch screens. The Gen III met all my daily driver needs and there was nothing I didn't like about the car. Simply put, it was a winner. Sales figures support that assessment. I smartly kept our /04 TL when I decided I needed a newer daily driver and got the Audi A6. The TL has been with us so long it is now part of the family. Despite its age and 172,000 miles it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and although it owes us nothing at this point I would drive it cross country without hesitation. The old TL will remain with me until I die or it dies, whichever comes first. As I said in a previous post, I'd love to have a brand new /08 now and use it as my daily driver for the next 10+ years.

Rant over.

I hope Jon Ikeda is reading this. Jon, if you are and Acura has any bubble wrapped new /08 TLs stored away somewhere please call me.

Best,
Jeff

Makes me nuts that the TLX was a step backwards. The Gen III was such a great all-rounder. It exceeded my expectations of a daily driver in pretty much every respect. Pleasant ride, decent handling for a FWD sedan, aesthetics (IMHO one of best looking Japanese sedans ever -- still looks modern/fresh), sufficient power for my needs, 28-32 mpg highway and low 20s in city, reliable and fairly low running costs, roomy interior and large trunk, fully equipped in base trim and (important to me) knobs and buttons -- no touch screens. The Gen III met all my daily driver needs and there was nothing I didn't like about the car. Simply put, it was a winner. Sales figures support that assessment. I smartly kept our /04 TL when I decided I needed a newer daily driver and got the Audi A6. The TL has been with us so long it is now part of the family. Despite its age and 172,000 miles it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned and although it owes us nothing at this point I would drive it cross country without hesitation. The old TL will remain with me until I die or it dies, whichever comes first. As I said in a previous post, I'd love to have a brand new /08 now and use it as my daily driver for the next 10+ years.

Rant over.

I hope Jon Ikeda is reading this. Jon, if you are and Acura has any bubble wrapped new /08 TLs stored away somewhere please call me.

Best,
Jeff

My mom has an 08 UA7 with only 75k miles on it... My 07 has twice that.

The PAWS car is better for everyday use as the rear steer makes the car feel smaller than it is. U turns and driving to maybe 80% of the limit. The SHAWD car with the torque vectoring really only works it’s magic when you’re driving it hard. It can’t vector any torque if there’s no torque input to the rear differential. So it’s a little more situational.

I doubt I’m giving away anything by saying that if the new 10AT would’ve fit the floorpan, they’d have already put it in the current TLX. But with the new car less than a year away, I’m sure that ZF9 is gone. Lots of engineers at Honda immediately regretted buying in an outside unit.
Pretty sure everything is going to get a version of the 10spd.

The DCTs are so nice though.

Neuronbob seems you and I come from the same place -- Gen III owners, first gen NSX owners and if I recall correctly (could be wrong) you had an Audi for a while before going over to the TLX as I think I've seen you on either Audizine or AW.

I've never owned an Audi, though I love the styling of their wagons and am considering leasing (not buying) a RS5 Sportback as the next daily driver, among many options. Never been on Audizine as a member, either. I do agree with you, though! I'm a Honda nerd to the core and the 3G TL was the best everyday Acura since the Legend ten years before that.

With Ikeda (project leader for the 3G TL) at the head of Acura, I'm hoping we get a proper 3G TL replacement. We'll know in less than a year.

I've never owned an Audi, though I love the styling of their wagons and am considering leasing (not buying) a RS5 Sportback as the next daily driver, among many options. Never been on Audizine as a member, either. I do agree with you, though! I'm a Honda nerd to the core and the 3G TL was the best everyday Acura since the Legend ten years before that.

With Ikeda (project leader for the 3G TL) at the head of Acura, I'm hoping we get a proper 3G TL replacement. We'll know in less than a year.

The Audis drive very nicely (though the C7 platform -- my A6 is pretty nose heavy with the engine being north-south hung fore over the front axle --wife's A4 much more entertaining to drive doesn't feel so nose heavy). However, my experience leads me to believe that owning one outside of warranty can be very costly and for this reason we leased the A4. As for a "proper" 3G TL replacement -- from your lips to God's ears.

Best,
Jeff

Why can't Honda/Acura just give this special version 55 more HP and called it a TLX-S? Please STOP insulting your believers.

It has been such a long time since Acura produced a vehicle of any interest to me. Hopeful that Mr. Ikeda comes through but not holding my breath. If yes, will be a very pleasant occurrence. Perhaps Honda/Acura for me has become somewhat like BMW. Many years ago we had an E3 (Bavaria). Granted I'm talking here about the 1970s but that car was like almost nothing in North America at the time. This is how I felt about Honda/Acura back in the 80s/90s and early 2000s -- it was something unique and every time I got in a Honda/Acura product there was some intangible that made it feel different and better than the competition (my opinion only of course). That has been lost. BMW now caters to a different market and demographic than back at the time of the Bavaria/2002/E39 5 series, etc. Honda/Acura similarly has a different target market it seems. Time rolls on and things change. Despite all the talk from Acura I'm not counting on them getting back to their "roots."

Their season of performance is out of season.:tongue:

Back