• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To those who have owned vipers

come on down to Texas and I'll race you for pink slips.

This strikes me as a rather juvenile reaction to what has otherwise been quite a balanced and reasonable discussion so far. It's also not in keeping with the general collegial tone that has generally been prevalent on the NSXprime forums.

Just my O.

my opinion is this:
anybody who put that kind of displacement in a car should haul-ass hell even bently's are fast but it just seems to me that amercian cars have to go with hugh displacement to make up for technology 6-mustang cant beat a integra 4-cylinder and a corvette 8 cylinder cant beat the nsx (except for the z06)and so on now the vette is beating the nsx finally honda brings out the latest plan which more than likely will put the vettes to shame again. for every american car i know needs at least two extra cylinders to keep up with the honda car.

I guess it's time for another Viper owner to chime in. First of all, I've had a variety of sports cars over the years, from old Alfas (still have a 73 Spider) to an RX7 twin turbo and a 98 E36 M3. I have recently become interested in Domestic muscle cars and my wife and I now own a 99 Viper GTS and 01 Z06.

I think Ilya sums up the Viper's strengths quite well. It is the most exciting car I have ever owned. It definitely has more power then the Z06 and pulls harder at 160 mph then the Vette does at 120 mph.

I have driven the Viper a few times at the track and believe that the Z06 would be close to the Viper in overall lap times. The Vette has more road feel, and is easier to tell how close you are to the limits of adhesion, but the Viper also handles quite well. It has lots of grip with minor under-steer.

The Viper is challenging to drive to it’s potential not because of any handling difficulties, but because it has such great high speed acceleration that it takes time for a ‘normal’ person to get used to it. I have lots of track days in a modded Z28 and the Viper is seriously faster. The only aspect of the stock Viper's performance that I think should be better are the brakes, although pad, fluid, and air deflectors help considerably.

As far as being fast at the track, driver skill and daring is a huge factor. I am easing into using the Viper as a track car, but definitely do not want to wreck the car. Taking the Viper to track days can be frustrating because other car owners seem desperate to 'beat a Viper'. The Viper is such a performance benchmark that people act like you should be setting lap records just because of the car

On the street, the Viper is nice and tight, and rides very well given the level of grip. It is loaded with cheap plastic, but that doesn't bother me. The only thing that really bugs me is the heat the side pipes pump into the car during the summer. The stereo isn’t too great, but that doesn’t bother me either - tire noise and exhaust drown it out anyway!

As far as a comparison to an NSX, I don’t really know because I’ve never driven an NSX, although every time I see an NSX on the street or track, I admire the car and think that I would truly enjoy owning one.

Oh well, so many cars, so little time…

Jim

I'm glad members from other forums chime in in threads like these. There is a lot of misconception out there regarding all cars; import and domestic. Nobody would know the truth better than enthusiasts of that particular mark.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
[BThis strikes me as a rather juvenile reaction to what has otherwise been quite a balanced and reasonable discussion so far. It's also not in keeping with the general collegial tone that has generally been prevalent on the NSXprime forums.[/B]

kverge's reply is as juvenile as the post he was replying to. Flexer's post was rather condescending and ignorant of Vipers in general.

I've seen Vipers at the roadtrack and I've seen kverge's Viper as well. They are definitely effective corner carvers given the "right" driver.

I'm surprised that nobody has brought the races that Vipers have won.

Michael.

Dman writes a post inquiring about Vipers...and then we see a number of caustic posts that proceed to ridicule the Viper by comparing it a "barstool" or a "clown shoe". I wouldn't classify those statements as being particularly "collegial" or friendly.

Then when a Viper owner responds (as could very well been predicted), he gets blasted for being juvenile?

IMHO, the Viper guys who responded were pretty reasonable in their tone and comments. After having their cars ridiculed, one guys merely defends his choice by offering to race for pink slips. Considering the tone of what he was responding to, I think he was relatively restrained.

I think we have a reputation on the NSX forums to be fair and a bit more mature than some of the other car forums out there. I don't think this thread has helped our reputation all that much.

As we can see, there's many non-NSX owners who read our forum posts. We can certainly discuss the technical merits and offer opinions, but there's no reason to be mean spirited.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Then when a Viper owner responds (as could very well been predicted), he gets blasted for being juvenile?

Is it predictable to hear a response to race for pink slips? Pleeeease.
pat.gif
There's a difference between saying "I don't agree with you" and "come down here and I'll kick your butt". That response is indeed juvenile. It may have been provoked by comments which might have been (as previously charged) "condescending and ignorant", but it's certainly a juvenile way of reacting to them.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 November 2001).]

No, it's not predictable to hear such a response to race for pink slips. It is predictable, however, when mean-spirited and condescending comments are made people will respond accordingly.

If someone called my car a "clown shoe" or a "barstool" I probably would get a bit testy too.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

"Separated at birth"...

lollipop%20mini%20hi-top.jpg

BiffsHardTop1.gif

biggrin.gif

(For those who appear to be "humor challenged", please note that that little smiley means that we're joking around here.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 November 2001).]

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it predictable to hear a response to race for pink slips? Pleeeease.
pat.gif
There's a difference between saying "I don't agree with you" and "come down here and I'll kick your butt". That response is indeed juvenile. It may have been provoked by comments which might have been (as previously charged) "condescending and ignorant", but it's certainly a juvenile way of reacting to them.

I personally feel that kverges carried himself appropriately. If you read his posts carefully, then you will realize that he is a competitive person. And when you have somebody making ignorant comments, is it no surprise for kverges to issue a challenge?

Pink slips may be a bit too excessive in time and too much money may be at stake for you (so you may take it as a juvenile response and not seriously), but not in kverge's shoes (or clown shoes rather
smile.gif
).

Besides, if kverge's posts were juvenile, then were Flexer's posts mature? It's like 2 little brothers fighting. Brother A hits brother B when the parents aren't looking, but when brother B defends himself and returns fire, he's busted and now in trouble.

Michael.

"Separated at birth"...

B]

Ken.. that is the funniest post you have ever done!! hahaha.. i loved it!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I about fell out of my chair laughing from that clown shoe picture!!!!!!!! Very funny!!! Side note I do like the Viper I thought about buying one before I bought my NSX. I knew I would kill myself in the Viper though.

Well I am pretty impressed when a V-6 can be compared to a V-10.
wink.gif
Viper guy, that's nice that you have clout and like to flaunt it in other forums (However, you wouldn't be a guest at someone's house and act this way would you?). Well as someone that is very familiar to the Drag racing and the Street racing arena. If I were you (I'm not) I wouldn't throw the dice out on the table without knowing what you're up against (Know thyself-but most of all know thy enemy/competitor). Now I'm not saying that I have an NSX that will "stomp" you because I don't(12.42 in the 1/4 mile @113mph) However, is a quarter mile race within this offering and is it just limited to the NSX for I know a few mustang guys that would love to be competitive
biggrin.gif

Kenji
88 Mustang GT Turbo (720hp daily driver)
95 Mustang GT
91 CTSC Red NSX

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril.
When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal.
If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril."

[This message has been edited by Attitude Adjuster (edited 18 November 2001).]

Some people here get all testy when someone criticizes an NSX on another forum. If someone on the Viper form were calling the NSX names, funny or not, someone would probably feel compelled to jump to defend the NSX on that forum (as we've seen several times in the past with other forums).

Overall I think the Viper guys who have joined this discussion have come across pretty well and made some good points. Any time someone points out a thread on another forum about the NSX, it inevitably contains a number of misunderstandings about the car. I expect the same is true of many of the threads that start about other cars on this forum.

I know several NSX owners who have or do own both a Viper and NSX and none of them ever speaks poorly of the Viper, they just say it is the polar opposite of the NSX design philosophy. The fact is that any model year Viper has a hell of a lot of performance in the right hands, and the newer models fix a number of the "rough edges" of the earlier ones.

The "let's race for pink slips if you disagree" attitude may not be everyone's style, but it's no more juvenile than calling someone elses car names. I wish we would present ourselves a little more professionally to our other sports car enthusiast brothers on the Internet.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 18 November 2001).]

Lud,

Thank you.

-Jim

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think it would turn out to be such a horsepower war. As I said in my original post, I was not as interested in the horsepower so much as the other qualities of the Viper. I've had my NSX for four years. It is an amazing car and I absolutely love it, but that doesn't mean it is the ONLY car I will ever want to own. I have an open mind to the fact that even though I totally love the NSX, I can still appreciate what other cars have to offer. Both of these cars, as well as many others, have their own unique attributes. I don't want to limit myself to one car just because it is my absolute favorite. There are a lot of cool cars out there, and I think it would be both interesting and exciting to experience them all. I plan to keep my NSX, but also plan to try other exotic 'type' cars as well...starting with the power-packed "clown-shoe!" (ha-ha.. that's a good one!) Thanks again.

I agree with Lud as well. It annoys the hell out of me when other boards talk smack about the NSX and spout of misinformation. That is the reason I stood up for the Viper in this thread. The same thing was happening here, only in the other direction.

It's OK to poke fun as long as it is in good spirit. The clown shoe comment is funny. It's a common joke, just as comparing a C5 to tupperware. It's all in good fun as long as we show respect to other makes when it counts.

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 18 November 2001).]

I think one of the big differences in the driving experience between an NSX and a Viper or Vette is the driving position. In the Viper or Vette you feel surrounded by car (high door belt line, big fenders, no view of the road immediately in front of the car). In the NSX you feel almost like your driving a go kart (one with a suspension that rides good). You have a great view of the road and hence feel more like your in control. On an autocross track that pays big dividends and makes weaving through cones a fun experience.

Back