• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Tools/equipement for setting up my garage?

Hi, my wife and I are closing on our first home purchase and I'm thinking of what I'd like to have in my garage. I'm not in a rush to buy everything at once, but I definitely have a few things I've always wanted in my garage on my shopping list. I was hoping to get some feedback from the community on both the list and recommendations on what specifically to buy for each item.

1. Air compressor and air tools - this is the one I know the least about. Always wanted them, but not sure what capacity I should get, what the options are and what brands to go with. Any good package deals with tools and the compressor out there?

2. Jack - I have a jack but it's on its last legs so I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully will pick this up soon too: http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

3. Tool storage - Does having a storage cabinet on rollers make sense for a 2 car garage? Will I miss the rollers? Any brands that I should avoid or look for? I grew up trusting Craftsman but seems like the quality is not as good as it used to be.

4. Shop/work light - I have overhead lighting but have been looking for lighting for under the hood or suspension projects. The cheap led lights on Amazon only run $3-4 but is there something better I should look for?

Anything I'm missing? I already have a torque wrench, an impact gun and a pretty good hand tool set along with other small things like a Dremel, etc.

Thanks in advance.

For your compressor question, I suggest you get the biggest compressor you can find, afford, and have room for that runs on 110V, but can be converted to 220v should the need arise, and is still portable. For example, mine is like the one in the link. Home Depot, Lowes etc will have bundle deals too that will get you started with a few air tools as well. Skip the small compressors, they will run out of air way too fast, even for the small jobs.

(the black Husky for $439)
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha...ools-Accessories-Air-Compressors/N-5yc1vZc27p

Last edited:
Since everyone is chiming in on the Compressor, I'll bite. I have the Makita MAC2400 in my garage and it better than any compressor I have ever owned. Can't beat Home Depot's price on it either. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-4...-Twin-Stack-Air-Compressor-MAC2400/202713485# I'd also recommend getting a retractable Air Hose reel, I have found the Campbell Hausfeld 50' retractable reel is very reasonably priced and of good quality. I use the compressor quite a bit, it was certainly a worthwhile investment.

Since you have a 220V outlet, then you shouldn't feel restricted on your compressor. You may find that using the 220V will allow you more flexibility with your 110V outlets (without overloading a circuit).

Here's my recommendation: get an oil-lubricated compressor. They are much quieter than the oil-free variety. I have a small pancake compressor that I have used over the years for things up to a framing nailer; it works well but it is super loud. When we moved a couple years ago, the former owner left behind a very old Sears-brand compressor that he said hadn't been used in years. I rewired the (220V) plug, replaced the oil, and fired it up. It runs like a champ and is so nice--I can work nearby in the garage while it is running, rather than having to have earmuffs/earplugs.

My ~2.5hp compressor with a 10gal tank supplies a bit over 6cfm @ 90psi, which can run the impact wrench (or maybe a small spray gun). I think you will find as you look into it more that you will pick from a few basic parameters: hp of the motor, single or dual cylinder pump, and oil or oil-free. The 110/220 choice simply affects the HP of the motor: a 110 outlet is limited to about 2.5hp, so you will have an easier time if you use 220V. The motor's HP rating and whether your compressor uses a single/dual-cylinder pump determine the cfm you will get. So you want to figure out your most air-intensive use and plan for that. As far as I can tell, the only reason you would need something as large as the one linked above from Tractor Supply would be for spray guns of pretty continuous use of air tools (die grinder, etc.).

You may ultimately want an air tank for portable applications like filling tires or balls, but having a solid shop compressor will make a big difference. I feel that is a better approach than a small compressor that you can carry around, assuming you have the space for it. Just my thoughts of course.

-jason

PS: The Husky that Wizard identifies above seems like a good choice; when I was looking into my setup, I'm pretty sure that was the one I had narrowed it down to in the event that my super-old Sears didn't end up working.

Last edited:
You should decide what kind of garage floor coating/surface you want to do. Doing it before you move anything into the house and garage will save you a lot of work later after you move in.

I can't recommend an air compressor as i dont have one, but the more i think about it, im not sure you need one for most mechanical work. Alot of the new lit ion impact guns on the market are really strong. In the 500 ft lbs torque range. I have an 18v dewalt 1/2 that has worked great on all the bolts ive used it on. Ideally i would like to get a light weight small snap on 1/2 as its more versitle to move around with. And no compressor noise or space.
If your going to paint and use alot of air tools then you might need a compressor.
Good luck with your search and post pics once your all set up.

Harbor freight usually has a sale on low profile jacks. I paid $79 for mine and it's real nice and fits under my lowered NSX. Great deal I think (use Jack stands of course which they also sell inexpensive).

Harbor isn't good for everything bit some stuff they are. I use a small craftsman compressor which for me is fine. I did however spend more than $50 on a real nice air pressure gauge, though I cannot remember the brand.

I like a really well organized peg board myself but I am as anal as they come with shadow boxed tooling and such...

The QuickJack is a decent product for routine maintenance and short term use. You might look at Bendpaks scissor lifts as another option for not much more and built stronger. Otherwise a quality long nose floor jack and four jack stands will work equally well for less money.
For lighting, I like a product like this on a lift. They are LED (not to be confused with rope lighting) and directional, they offer permanent installation and magnetically attached models. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSxQbxuwbQ

im not sure you need [an air compressor] for most mechanical work.

I think it is good advice to consider a cordless tool before a compressor. While it can be nice to have an air source for inflation and cleaning needs, a modern cordless impact gun is going to do everything you need for removing fasteners. I suspect I may get one eventually, especially for removing wheels at the track.

That said, I like having an air source for all the other needs and the fact that it never needs charging. And I'd like to play around with spray equipment.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. Definitely have some reading and research to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention my flooring is on the way, I looked at the tiles but decided to go with roll out flooring for simplicity, ease of install and cost.

Last edited:
Be careful when considering tool storage options. To put it bluntly, there is a lot of demand nowadays for the stereotypical tool cabinets and etc, but these methods of storage generally overpriced and not needed. i've seen simple and relatively small cabinets sell for $1000+ which is ridiculous for the average tinkerer that just needs some place to store some wrenches and set their beer on.

What most guys want(..to show off):
~$2,700+. Nuff said.:eek:
spin_prod_667780301

What most guys need:
~$125. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...pspla&ef_id=UtR45gAAAWBk1c62:20140122043850:s
Excel-4-drawer-Roller-Cabinet-P14076842.jpg

Of course you will sacrifice build quality.....but do you really want to spend almost a grand on a fancy tool chest? Mehhhh...I'd rather build one myself, but I like crafts projects like that.

Back