• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

TOP 7 or 8 Critical Radiator hoses to replace?

Someone at one of the meets mentioned that if I wanted to replace the critical radiator hoses, that there was a list of about 7 or 8. If so, can someone please confirm what those critical ones are? I would love to replace all 23 listed here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38807 , but I believe ill be proactive for the CRITICAL TOP 7 or 8 of them first :biggrin:

Thanks!

I just changed the 2 main engine compartment radiator hoses due to one blowing out, i'll change the rest when i do my 60K maintenance with Don @ HillTop probably.

I don't know the p/n because I purchased 2 samco hoses when I changed mine out this past weekend.

Someone at one of the meets mentioned that if I wanted to replace the critical radiator hoses, that there was a list of about 7 or 8. If so, can someone please confirm what those critical ones are? I would love to replace all 23 listed here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38807 , but I believe ill be proactive for the CRITICAL TOP 7 or 8 of them first :biggrin:

Thanks!

I think its the ones Dali sells called the samurai hose kit. Which has 8 main hoses to replace.

My advice: Do all 23 of them at the same time as the timing belt and water pump, get it over with, and you won't have to worry about it again for many years or miles.

My advice: Do all 23 of them at the same time as the timing belt and water pump, get it over with, and you won't have to worry about it again for many years or miles.

DITO! Many coolant hose bursts occured of hoses that weren't expected to burst and are not in the samurai kit. These additional hoses don't cost a fortune and doing them at the same time means flushing the cooling system only one time and an insurance policy against getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

DITO! Many coolant hose bursts occured of hoses that weren't expected to burst and are not in the samurai kit. These additional hoses don't cost a fortune and doing them at the same time means flushing the cooling system only one time and an insurance policy against getting stranded in the middle of nowhere.

And overheating.. damn.. I was too lazy to do the hoses this last fluid change .... gonna have to do it again.

And overheating.. damn.. I was too lazy to do the hoses this last fluid change .... gonna have to do it again.

The older cylinder head gaskets don't like overheating at all. They even don't like low coolant (leaking bottle).

The referrenced parts list doesn't include the thermostat and smaller o-rings. I would include them too. I've postet a complete part list recently...

Someone at one of the meets mentioned that if I wanted to replace the critical radiator hoses, that there was a list of about 7 or 8.

Below are initial 7 hoses I changed before doing the rest at a later date.

3 in the engine bay:
19506-PR7-A01 HOSE, RR. WATER
19507-PR7-A01 HOSE, RR. WATER
79728-SL0-A00 HOSE, WATER INLET

2 for the radiator bay:
19502-PR7-A00 HOSE, FR. WATER
19501-PR7-A00 HOSE, FR. WATER

2 for the oil cooler:
19423-PR7-A00 HOSE A, OIL COOLER OUTLET
19422-PR7-A01 HOSE, OIL COOLER INLET

Thanks for the update. I need to check but since I have a NA2, the part numbers might be different, but this is a GREAT place for me to start and begin referencing the parts listed below.

Thanks!

Below are initial 7 hoses I changed before doing the rest at a later date.

3 in the engine bay:
19506-PR7-A01 HOSE, RR. WATER
19507-PR7-A01 HOSE, RR. WATER
79728-SL0-A00 HOSE, WATER INLET

2 for the radiator bay:

2 for the oil cooler:
19423-PR7-A00 HOSE A, OIL COOLER OUTLET
19422-PR7-A01 HOSE, OIL COOLER INLET

Are most owners replacing with OEM radiator hoses? I am due for a change soon.

For 1991-96

2 for the radiator bay:

For 1997+

2 for the radiator bay:
19502-PR7-A01 HOSE, FR. WATER
19501-PR7-A01 HOSE, FR. WATER

In 1997+ the front bay hoses are different due to the change in Spare Tire size;). The other hoses are the same.

With that said, remember, EVERY hose is '"critical". ANY hose failure will lead to an overheated engine, VERY BAD. Changing only 8 hoses just means you get the spring for another 4 gallons of Honda Type II coolant later, when you do the rest, and does not leave you "care free" that your hoses are done.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

At what point do you do it just to do it b/c it is time. I have a 94 and am still running on orig hoses. the 60k mile maintenance was done almost 30k miles ago.

At what point do you do it just to do it b/c it is time. I have a 94 and am still running on orig hoses. the 60k mile maintenance was done almost 30k miles ago.
Have you ever had the timing belt and water pump changed? The timing belt is specified for replacement at 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. If your car has a 14-year-old timing belt (or if you don't know whether the timing belt has ever been changed), I recommend you replace the timing belt, water pump, and all the cooling system hoses. NOW.

i did timing belt and water pump in 2003 at 55000 miles when i bought the car. i have done everything by the book or more frequent except i still have original hoses.

i did timing belt and water pump in 2003 at 55000 miles when i bought the car. i have done everything by the book or more frequent except i still have original hoses.
Then those will be due again next year.

If I were you, I would consider replacing the 2-3 really big hoses now, and replace all the other hoses when you do the timing belt and water pump next time. Other options would be to do all of that now (a year early for the TB/WP), or to wait till next year and do all of it (and hope that none of the hoses fail between now and then). Your call.

Back