• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Top hat stud replacement.

I was finishing up an easy suspension install on the car when of course something had to go wrong. Well one of the RR top hat studs stripped out. Not sure if it was the previous owner, but the nut doesn't get over 20 ft/lbs before spinning. I'm going to try a thread repair kit and worst case chase the threads. If these options fail are these studs replaceable? Could I just pull the top hats along with the rubber spring seat and press them out?
If so I've been doing some searching and can't find any info on if it's possible or where to get the replacement m10x1.25 stud.
Appreciate the help if anyone's dealt with this before

Yea I'm not sure if they are pressed in or tacked but I have access to a welder. The top hats looked to be made from aluminum and the studs most definitely are not, that's why I figured they were pressed in. If that's the case I'd rather break it down and fork out 3$ for a new stud locally.

Alright thanks, well that's certainly going to be cheaper. I know some are pressed wasn't sure about ours nor was I able to find any information on the top hats.
Well thanks guys, any idea if they're clinch studs or the regular (like wheel studs) serrated studs.
The serrated studs can be found at just about any parts store and cut to length.
Thanks again.

These clinch studs don't seem to be a easy part to find unless in bulk. I'll give arp, McMaster, Grainger a call to see if it's something they just don't have in their parts catalog. Wish I had both pieces to meaure the differences. I'm thinking I could just threade a serrated stud down it would sit flush enough.

Last edited:
Looks like replacing that stud is my only option as they aren't any top hats available in the US, it'd have to be shipped from Japan. Would you guys happen to know the dimensions of the self clinching stud it's self? Fastenall has then available as single piece parts but only go up to 25mm. Seems too short.

Looks like replacing that stud is my only option as they aren't any top hats available in the US, it'd have to be shipped from Japan. Would you guys happen to know the dimensions of the self clinching stud it's self? Fastenall has then available as single piece parts but only go up to 25mm. Seems too short.

You could also try throwing up a WTB post in the Parts Wanted area and see if you get lucky.

IMG_20190621_205713.jpg
IMG_20190621_210149.jpg
Self clinching stud worked beautifully!
Sorry for the late update, had to wait on the hardware.
It's m10 x1.5 but aside from that we're all torqued and good to go.
Thanks guys, btw I've included a comparison of the OEM serrated style vs. The "aftermarket" 50mm clinch stud which I chopped down.

Back