• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Track Day R-Compound Tire Conundrum?

I just bought a '92 NSX coupe, that I plan to run open track days with, on the road courses of California and Nevada. It came with the original 5-spoke wheels, which are shod with Avon DOT-slicks. It also came with a set of later model NSX OEM 7-spoke wheels, which are sized 16" x 7" front, and 17" x 8.5" rear.

I am trying to find a set of R-Compound tires to run on the 7-spoke wheels. I really like Nitto NT-01, and they make a 255/40/17 that fits on the rear, but nothing that would fit on the 16" fronts. Same with Toyo RA-1. I hate Toyo R-888, so I didn't even look to see if they have tires that fit on the front wheels. Yokohama A048 makes a 225/45/16 that fits on the front, but their 17" tire is a 245/40/17, which is a bit narrow, I prefer a 255/40/17.

Does anybody know if there is an R-compond tire from any manufacturer that comes in both 225/45/16 and 255/40/17? I'm not looking for a DOT Slick, because I have to drive the car back and forth to the track on my track tires. Thanks.

You can get the Kumho Ecsta V710 in the stock '94-01 sizes of 215/45-16 and 245/40-17.

their 17" tire is a 245/40/17, which is a bit narrow, I prefer a 255/40/17.
You'll never notice the 10 mm width difference. And besides:

Compound/tread design > treadwidth

So the V710 in those sizes will outperform the other tires you mentioned, even if the latter are wider, because it's a stickier tire.

Last edited:
Come on Richard. You should know bettter than to multi post.

Wasn't sure if it belonged in Track forum or Tire forum, so I put it in both. Why do you care?

The only R-comp I could find that comes in both 225/45/16 amd 255/40/17 is Toyo R-888, which I hate. They don't have the grip of a DOT slick, but heat cycle out like DOT slicks, while NT-01 and RA-1 are good until they cord.

RA-1 comes in 225/50/16 and 255/40/17. Will a 50 section tire rub the fender wells on the 16" x 7" front wheel? Will a 50 section tire have too much sidewall flex?

Yokohama A048 comes in 225/45/16 and 245/40/17, but are more expensive than NT-01 or RA-1, and requrire shaving (so does RA-1 but not NT-01). Still don't know what track tires to buy. Keep in mind that I drive the car to and from the track, so DOT slicks (including Ecsta V710) are out.

Last edited:
205/55-16 and 225/50-16 will both rub.

Keep in mind that I drive the car to and from the track, so DOT slicks (including Ecsta V710) are out.
The V710 is not considered "slicks". It is an R compound tire with only longitudinal grooves in the tread pattern.

Another solution is to get R compounds in the stock '91-93 sizes on stock 15"/16" wheels, which will fit inside the car and you can drive to the track on your street tires. BTDT!

Wasn't sure if it belonged in Track forum or Tire forum, so I put it in both. Why do you care?
Because you should know better than to spam your question everywhere. :rolleyes:

The NSX community is very small, and the handful of people who track their cars (who are the ones you want track tire feedback from) also check out the tire section too. But for the most part. Track talk -> Track section.

FWIW - We tested the R888 at Buttonwillow to be faster than the RA-1 in the FXMD Modified class car, but they were less confidence inspiring and stable than the RA-1 or NT01. Also the A048's don't "have to" be shaved any more than any other R-compound tire.

I'd suggest investing in 17/17 or 17/18" track wheels.

Last edited:
Billy, I don't think posting the same thread in 2 different forums here, one relating to Tires, and the other relating to Track Talk, when the thread was about Track Tires, is "spamming."

That being said, I had a bad experience with R-888 on my Miata race car, which I have since sold. They were horrible, compared to the C51, NT-01 and RA-1 that I ran on that car.

I actually have 3 sets of wheels for the NSX. 2 sets of the later model OEM 7-spoke 16" x 7" fronts and 17" x 8.5" rears, the nickel plated ones that are shown in the pics on my thread about being a new owner with Toyo street tires on them that are currently on the car (go search for that thread, I wouldn't want to be accused of double-posting, which is apparently a capital offense here), and another set that are polished and that I paid extra for, which don't have any tires on them. Those will be my track wheels.

I also have the original '92 smaller 15" front, 16" rear 5-spoke wheels, which have Avon DOT slicks on them. I will take those out to the track to see if they have any life left in them, but I don't think the smaller original 5-spokes will be my track wheels. If all 4 fit in the car (which doesn't seem possible, although another poster said they do fit), then maybe the 5-spokes should be my track wheels.

Billy, if you ever give up car racing as your day job, you'd make a fine librarian schoolmarm. :biggrin:

Because you should know better than to spam your question everywhere. :rolleyes:

The NSX community is very small, and the handful of people who track their cars (who are the ones you want track tire feedback from) also check out the tire section too. But for the most part. Track talk -> Track section.

FWIW - We tested the R888 at Buttonwillow to be faster than the RA-1 in the FXMD Modified class car, but they were less confidence inspiring and stable than the RA-1 or NT01. Also the A048's don't "have to" be shaved any more than any other R-compound tire.

I'd suggest investing in 17/17 or 17/18" track wheels.

Last edited:
Billy, I don't think posting the same thread in 2 different forums here, one relating to Tires, and the other relating to Track Talk, when the thread was about Track Tires, is "spamming."

That being said, I had a bad experience with R-888 on my Miata race car, which I have since sold. They were horrible, compared to the C51, NT-01 and RA-1 that I ran on that car.

I actually have 3 sets of wheels for the NSX. 2 sets of the later model OEM 7-spoke 16" x 7" fronts and 17" x 8.5" rears, the nickel plated ones that are shown in the pics on my thread about being a new owner with Toyo street tires on them that are currently on the car (go search for that thread, I wouldn't want to be accused of double-posting, which is apparently a capital offense here), and another set that are polished and that I paid extra for, which don't have any tires on them. Those will be my track wheels.

I also have the original '92 smaller 15" front, 16" rear 5-spoke wheels, which have Avon DOT slicks on them. I will take those out to the track to see if they have any life left in them, but I don't think the smaller original 5-spokes will be my track wheels. If all 4 fit in the car (which doesn't seem possible, although another poster said they do fit), then maybe the 5-spokes should be my track wheels.

Billy, if you ever give up car racing as your day job, you'd make a fine librarian schoolmarm. :biggrin:
You're the Sheriff on THQ. I would have thought you had thicker skin than this.

The C51 is not even in the same category (or shouldn't be) as the R888, RA1, NT01, or A048. Sounds like the V710s, R888, and A048 are the only real options. There are more options in 17/17 and 17/18. You just need to figure out if the tires you want (and wider ones at that) are worth it for your intentions for your car.

You're the Sheriff on THQ. I would have thought you had thicker skin than this.

The C51 is not even in the same category (or shouldn't be) as the R888, RA1, NT01, or A048. Sounds like the V710s, R888, and A048 are the only real options. There are more options in 17/17 and 17/18. You just need to figure out if the tires you want (and wider ones at that) are worth it for your intentions for your car.

Hey Billy - my skin is as thick as an alligator's. I always appreciate your taking the time to give me advice. Buying bigger wheels is not an option for me right now, since I already have 12 wheels (3 sets) for my NSX. I think my only choice is A048 because R-888 sucks and V710 are slicks that I really can't waste driving back and forth to the track.

When is your next Pro Race in the Mustang, Mr. "Shoe"? :cool:

oe 15/16 really will fit in car. search for ken's post on how to do it. might be in wiki. one 16 in trunk. one 15 behind pas seat and the other two on the front seat. it's what i do, unless one of my friends with a trailer is going and can take my tires. oe 16/17 for street. oe 15/16 for track with dot r compound. there's quite a few choices in 15/16.

Guys.

After doing many search with no firm answer, has anyone had experience on the NSX with Kumho Ecsta XS? This may be another option for Richard? 215/45/16

Guys.

After doing many search with no firm answer, has anyone had experience on the NSX with Kumho Ecsta XS? This may be another option for Richard? 215/45/16

I have recently installed Ecsta XS tires in the 94 tire size. I have used them on an autocross and a track day at Buttonwillow. While they held up well for a street tire, I wouldn't consider them in the same league as the r-comp tires he is likely looking for.

Hey Billy - my skin is as thick as an alligator's. I always appreciate your taking the time to give me advice. Buying bigger wheels is not an option for me right now, since I already have 12 wheels (3 sets) for my NSX. I think my only choice is A048 because R-888 sucks and V710 are slicks that I really can't waste driving back and forth to the track.

When is your next Pro Race in the Mustang, Mr. "Shoe"? :cool:
Have you driven on A048s? IMO they have similar characteristics to the R888.

I'm not sure about fitting a wheel behind the drivers seat unless you're 5'2" tall. I can barely fit a 3-ring binder behind the seat for my seating position.

Next race is early May, I just had one last Saturday in Barber (Alabama).

I have recently installed Ecsta XS tires in the 94 tire size. I have used them on an autocross and a track day at Buttonwillow. While they held up well for a street tire, I wouldn't consider them in the same league as the r-comp tires he is likely looking for.

Ecsta XS is not an R-comp, it's a street tire. I used to run them on my 350Z years ago. They have weak sidewalls. Would not touch them again.

As for A048, I'm sorry to hear they have "similar characteristics to R-888" which rules them out. They also have a similar tread pattern, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I'm not sure about fitting a wheel behind the drivers seat unless you're 5'2" tall. I can barely fit a 3-ring binder behind the seat for my seating position.

You need to read more carefully (that's an internet infraction equal to repost). He said one in the trunk, one behind the passenger seat, and two on the passenger seat.

I'm still looking for an answer to this question: RA-1 comes in 225/50/16 and 255/40/17. Will a 50 section tire rub the fender wells on the 16" x 7" front wheel? Will a 50 section tire have too much sidewall flex?

Anybody know? Thanks.

Yes a 50 series will fit on front 16x7 in stock ride height. I ran 235x50 Neova 08 for Autocross and loved the grip. Had minor rubbing on inside foot well on full lock. A 5mm spacer would have remedied that.

I now run 17x8 and 18x10.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

Yes a 50 series will fit on front 16x7 in stock ride height. I ran 235x50 Neova 08 for Autocross and loved the grip. Had minor rubbing on inside foot well on full lock. A 5mm spacer would have remedied that.

I now run 17x8 and 18x10.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

My ride height is not stock. The car is lowered about an inch with Eibach pro-kit springs.

You need to read more carefully (that's an internet infraction equal to repost). He said one in the trunk, one behind the passenger seat, and two on the passenger seat.
Not equal to a repost, I just misread the post.

Sounds like you'll never be happy. Sell all 3 sets of wheels and just buy a bigger set of wheels with more tire options.

You drove miatas with big side walls, they are fine. You're asking a subjective question. "Too much flex" is relative.

Not equal to a repost, I just misread the post.

Sounds like you'll never be happy. Sell all 3 sets of wheels and just buy a bigger set of wheels with more tire options.

You drove miatas with big side walls, they are fine. You're asking a subjective question. "Too much flex" is relative.

I talked to Les Phillips at Buttonwillow. He has a set of RA-1 shaved to 4/32" in 225/50/16 front, and 255/40/17 rear. I'm picking them up this weekend at the SV event.

Back