• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traded in my 91 NSX for 91 Ferrari 348

I'm selling my NSX after owning it for less than three weeks. I initally bought a 91 NSX auto because I wanted to experience what everyone was raving about regarding the NSX. My postive impressions were that it is a quick, very easy to drive supercar, the negatives were that it did not handle that sharply (the front end did not give me a lot of confidence in the twisties, it kinda floated out there) and it felt and drove too much like a typical Acura. It just did not deliver the hard core sportscar feel. I did test drive another manual transmission car and that had more sporty feel but nevertheless it still felt like a modified integra.

The Ferrari 348 is the best sportscar I ever owned hands down by far. It is extremely direct and explosively responsive. Driving it on the same twisties as I took the NSX, the Ferrari gave me much more confidence in pushing it and the front end really sticks extremely well. I was able to initite power slides on turns that I couldn't or was afraid to do with the NSX. The Ferrari also feels and sound much more hardcore sportscar like. Btw, I have the 348 Challenge model which is a step up performance wise over the stock 348.

I am not knocking the NSX, just saying that it wasn't my cup of tea. I do understand why NSX owners raves so much about their cars, it does deliver extremely competent perfomance in a no-nonsense way. But for the prospective NSX buyers looking to spent over 40k you should definitely test drive a 348 for comparison sake. I never realize how good the 348 was until owning one, it is the real deal. Btw, I prefer the 348 over the 355 because it has a much more edgy at the limits feel, plus it is almost half the price of a 355.

Can someone give me explicit instructions on posting pics?

To compare an automatic NSX to a manaul Ferrari 348 Challenge car is rediculous, regardless of the two minutes you actually spent in the NSX 5-speed mentioned in your note.

One of the most positive accolades given to the NSX by nearly every automotive journalist that's driven one over the past 12 years concerns the incredible feel of the MANUAL transmission in the car. There's still no equal to it, even now over a decade later.

Plus, the auto NSXs are HP handicapped to the tune of -18HP versus manual NSXs up to 1996, and -38HP versus manual 97+ NSXs. And I'm certain that your 348 "Challenge" car (I use skeptical quotes because I know that Ferrari didn't make any 348 challenge cars until 1994, so your car is actually just a 1991 that someone modified to challenge car specs--better check out the car's history) has a notchy-500 year old gate style box that in no way compares to the precision and feel of the cogs in the manaual NSX.

I'm sure you've also heard about the quality nightmares regarding early model 348s, Ferrari President Luca DeMontezemolo has previously been quoted as saying that the 1990-1991 348s were literally the "worst quality" cars that Ferrari ever produced. If your new ride is a true challenge car, meaning the previous owner actually did add every single factory approved piece to get it to true-spec, then you might have less to worry about. (Electrical problems in early 348s can bankrupt some small nations in terms of repair costs, lol)

Regardless of my rant here, the 348 when in tip top shape is still a great looker of a car, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours based on your early impressions. I believe the image post command is as follows:

*image*PICTURE URL*/image*

(be sure to switch the * chars above to proper HTML <> tag markers)Someone check my work though because I haven't posted a pic on this board before.

Jesus, I had to edit this note three times to get the picture instructions to show, lol

[This message has been edited by MAKO (edited 11 June 2002).]

You know that by changing the lower part of the door in the 348 you can get 90% of the 355 look?

Wow, THAT was a facelift not the 2002 NSX... with a couple minor mods (air dams in the front, small integrated spoiler on the back and the lower door part) that car looked much better, exotic and modern at the same time!
biggrin.gif

I admit the manual NSX I drove was much more sharper and responsive. It was set up with the japanese short gears, exhaust, chip, Bilstein shocks and new clutch. So it was even better than a stock manual NSX. I recalled the manual tranny shifted very easy and smooth, however, I feel a slick shifting tranny alone does not fulfill the whole sportscar equation. The acceleration although smooth did not possess the explosive characteristics, it was a much more linear feel. I think the operative word for the NSX is SMOOTH, it did everything extremely smoothly. The auto I owned was completely stock except for 17' BBS rims so I'm sure it was one of the softest version of the car (I think the biggest culprit was the power steering). Nevertheless, they both still felt very Japanese-like to me. After previously owning corvettes and porsches what I'm trying to say is that corvettes have a certain american feel, and porsches have a certain german feel, hence the NSX has a Japanese feel. Now with the Ferrari I'm experiencing the Italian feel, for its good and bad points.

To clarify, the factory made Challenge models semi-prep for the track between 89-94. Typically, the track related items were installed by the dealer. The 91 348 I have is a factory Challenge model that came ready to be converted for track use, otherwise it is a street car. The main difference over the stock model is a special ECU(good for additional 20hp, bringing total to 320hp), sport exhaust(biggest improvement over stock), double plate clutch, rear wheel spacers for wider track, underbody cooling ducts for the brakes and carpet cutouts for mounting of a roll cage.

Bear in mind I am not a NSX basher. I bought one, tried it and decided to go with something else. Just giving my opinion for those who may be trying to decide on a NSX or Ferrari.

I still don't understand how to post pics, would love to post pics of both my cars side by side.

Haha! AsianBond, that's really funny. Really...this is a joke right? a 348...wow!

Modern Ferraris are great. The 360 is really in a league of it's own and anyone who can afford one should 'almost' be slapped for choosing any NSX over it. But a 348??? ... over an NSX or 355?!?!? Come on! Let's get real here!

ROFL!!!!!!

I would also like to add, what one feels and how fast one is actually travelling are two very different things. I am consantly amazed by the time the NSX posts compare to my seat-of-the-pants feel, time after time at the quarter-mile strip and track. The 348 is marginally faster than a *manual* NSX, but 'sounds' 10-times faster ( who could argue with that inherent Ferrari song
smile.gif
and makes for a deceptively 'faster' experience. Your slushbox (auto) verion is in no way a representation of what a true NSX is. Hex on HONDA for ever created an AUTO version!

The point is. I've own the 348, 355 and now the 360. The 348 is pure JUNK!!! It's been in the shop for about 80% of it's life. The 355 was realy a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) leap from the 348 in terms of performance and reliability. Even then...it still spent about 50% of its life in the shop for various reasons. The 360 is much improved from the 355 still. Reliablitly seems to be holding up so far, but I've yet put some serious miles on the darn thing, so only time will tell.

To put it all back into perspective. My '91 NSX really is what EVERYONE have raved about here. Especially that 'STEERING FEEDBACK' and flawless 'TRANSMISSION' ... simply the BEST! Sometimes I wish I haven't gotten rid of it
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Blackjack (edited 11 June 2002).]

Originally posted by Blackjack:
Haha! AsianBond, that's really funny. Really...this is a joke right? a 348...wow!

Modern Ferraris are great. The 360 is really in a league of it's own and anyone who can afford one should 'almost' be slapped for choosing any NSX over it. But a 348??? ... over an NSX or 355?!?!? Come on! Let's get real here!

ROFL!!!!!!

This type of response illustrates perfectly how threads like this one always deteriorate and are, therefore, completely pointless. The guy came here explaining his personal choice with sound reasons behind it. No reason to go ripping apart 348s, no reason to tell him he's wrong and here's why...
He made some good observations and he's entitled to his preference. That's it. Please don't let this thread go any further downhill.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 11 June 2002).]

The front of the NSX is not "floaty" unless there is something wrong with the car. The car handles very sharply if it is set up right. Did you ever try to resolve the problem with the car before you dumped it?

But you are right, the NSX does not have that "hard core sportscar feel" and that in fact is point of the NSX - supecar performance with daily driver characteristics.

Since you said you prefer the "edgy" feel of the 348 over the more predictable feel of the 355 at the limits, I do not think you would have ever been happy with an NSX unless you modified the pants off it.

Many people would say that the introduction of the NSX is a good part of the reason the 355 and later Ferraris and many other sports cars since the early 1990s are so much more refined than earlier models.

Enjoy the 348. I enjoy driving or riding in other people's Ferrari 3x8s, but they are not cars I personally want to own, and it has nothing to do with cost. No car is right for everybody -- the world would be extremely boring if it were otherwise.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 11 June 2002).]

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
This type of response illustrates perfectly how threads like this one always deteriorate and are, therefore, completely pointless. The guy came here explaining his personal choice with sound reasons behind it. No reason to go ripping apart 348s, no reason to tell him he's wrong and here's why...
He made some good observations and he's entitled to his preference. That's it. Please don't let this thread go any further downhill.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way!
frown.gif
...if ONLY you actually OWN a 348 you would actually undstand what the real deal is.

Appologies to those offended, but I still stand by my statements.

[This message has been edited by Blackjack (edited 11 June 2002).]

AsianBond,

After reading your thread I can only wish you good luck with your F348. I hope you will find the thrills and enjoyment with the 348 your are looking for.
As for the responses posted earlier, I remember several magazine-articles describing the NSX as a car that does not give the same intensity as a Porsche or a Ferrari when driven at the same speed because its limits are higher. So if 'feel' is what you're looking for a F348 might be exactly right for you.
My second car is a very humble and very French Citroen AX. At 1500 pounds/11.5ft it is a tiny car. 0-60 is around 12sec, top speed is 103mph. It's much slower than my NSX but sometimes I still enjoy taking corners with it with screaming tires, (almost tipping over) knowing I can take the same turn in the NSX at higher speeds still without breaking a sweat.

Originally posted by MvM:
AsianBond,

After reading your thread I can only wish you good luck with your F348. I hope you will find the thrills and enjoyment with the 348 your are looking for.
As for the responses posted earlier, I remember several magazine-articles describing the NSX as a car that does not give the same intensity as a Porsche or a Ferrari when driven at the same speed because its limits are higher. So if 'feel' is what you're looking for a F348 might be exactly right for you.
My second car is a very humble and very French Citroen AX. At 1500 pounds/11.5ft it is a tiny car. 0-60 is around 12sec, top speed is 103mph. It's much slower than my NSX but sometimes I still enjoy taking corners with it with screaming tires, (almost tipping over) knowing I can take the same turn in the NSX at higher speeds still without breaking a sweat.

LOL that's what I did with my Honda Accord driving it so the tires screams and rubbers burns on every turn and feels like it's gonna flip every curve of the road
biggrin.gif
... Until I got like 2 tickets in no time
frown.gif

Try ferrarichat.com ... they will be more receptive to your posts.

as for the image.. it is extremely easy.. type what is in the brackets:

(
)

thats it...

Hope you enjoy your ferrari. I would personally be looking forward to the first scheduled service that will cost your over 4,000
smile.gif

Makes me wish I had a Ferarri to go with my NSX and Europa. No one car is best at all things. So enjoy the Ferarri as it is. Enjoy your NSX's. They are all different flavors of the best ice cream going.
Later

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

Originally posted by Blackjack:
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way!
frown.gif
...if ONLY you actually OWN a 348 you would actually undstand what the real deal is.

Appologies to those offended, but I still stand by my statements.

You completely missed the point: It has nothing to do with the quality of the 348! I personally think the 348 is crap from the ownership perspective - real world maintenance and reliability issues will keep from owning one - but it doesn't mean I don't want one or can't understand someone else wanting the "raw" aspects of the Ferrari over the smooth character of the NSX. YOUR statements are only true from your perspective with your needs, wants, pain threshold, etc thrown in.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Great looking car Asianbond! I would take teh 348 over a 1991 NSX auto anyday. I've been thinking about getting a 355 recently, actually. Let us know how the 348 works out for you after a while.

NetViper,

He's already been on Ferrarichat.com for a while. Here's some pics in this thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/51028.html?1023569643

Can you guys really say that the F-car doesn't look good too? Other than the cheese graters, of course.

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 11 June 2002).]

I wonder if the NSX had OEM tires on it or crap ones? This can make the front, and the back for that matter, feel like it is floating.

Based on your descriptions, I am sure you will enjoy your 348 more than your nsx. I am sorry to know you will be leaving us.

[This message has been edited by nsx2000 (edited 25 June 2002).]

Guys, I doubt there are any rookie/novice sportscar owners on this site, so regarding the reward/cost ratio, everyone should know exactly what they're getting themselves into. Needless to say, no one owns a NSX solely because it is means of transportation. Same reason why people buy mercedes sedan over a honda, they both do a great job in the transportation department, but the Mercedes owner is willing to pay more on the purchase price and for repairs because they find a MB fufills there individual automotive needs better. Of course with the NSX I expect minimal maintenance course, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, a NSX is basically a mixture of 87-up Legend interior, larger 94-up Integra GSR VTEC engine and an awesome light aluminun body. The brakes, auto transmission, power steering unit and exhaust are average Honda items. Hence, with those parts making up the whole it's not rocket science to maintain and repair it at reasonable cost. I absolutely know that running a Ferrari will cost more, but frankly playing at this level, cost is not a major factor because you've already factor that into the equation before buying the car.

I rather focus on the pure driving difference between the two cars. I admit that with some further mods and fine tuning my auto NSX would have done much better in the handling department, but without a doubt it will still have the unique feel of a Japanese supercar. Obviously I had thought the NSX would do the job for me, evidence by the fact that I did buy one, but I suggest everyone should at least test drive other marques before rating them below the NSX. I believe a Porsche 911 has some great qualities just as the Ferrari does.

Let's put it this way, what was the one sportscar that everyone considered the dream car when they were a young kid? I've own over 50 cars in the past twenty years, from vettes, 911, 928, 944T, Rx7, 300ZX, 280ZX, mercedes, bmw, audi, saab, lexus, and I always felt a Ferrari was the pinacle car that was always unobtainable. Now that I own one I am incredible suprise that the car is actually really good. It doesn't feel like a 70-80's tough-to-drive supercar. The 348 is extremely fast, responsive, tight and quite modern with good AC and even ABS. Please keep in mind that my special Challenge model performs significantly better than the stock 348s, it's comparable to the 355 performance levels.

And to make this a no-brainer, I got the car for under 45KUSD with perfect paint, interior, no accidents and only 17,000 miles.
The return on value for this car blows my mind, especially with 355s still going for 80k up and 360 for 150k. Compare to a $35k 91 NSX this 348 is a very compelling alternative.

And finally without trying to sound too pretentious, nothing beats the sound of a F-car at idle or running. Besides the 911 turbos, this is probably one of the few cars you can hear coming your way from blocks away. I kid you not, it doesn't get better than this, especially when you're in the driver's seat. So if you ever get a chance to experience one, don't hestitate.

always funny to hear the nsx guys talking about expensive maintenance. funny how they never mention the rediculous cost of nsx maintenence also, like 2200 clutches, a/c maintence,windows falling out,snap ring failure etc. funny how people overllok the idiosynchrocies of their cars but are so quick to point other cars. i saw enjoy the 348, they are great cars. read about them on the ferrari boards. i too would much rather have a 348 than my nsx.

Nice looking Ferrari. I actually like the 348s more than the 355s in terms of style.

I know what you mean by the floaty feeling up front. I notice this when I corner hard and the front doesn't feel well planted but only at very high speeds (80+mph) around turns.

The NSX isn't right for everyone. Good luck with your Ferrari. I don't think I could give up my NSX. I would get the Ferrari only as an addition. Probably a Testarossa for me.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 11 June 2002).]

Originally posted by steveny:
I wonder if the NSX had OEM tires on it or crap ones? This can make the front, and the back for that matter, feel like it is floating.

The tires don't look OEM at all.

Back