• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traded in my 91 NSX for 91 Ferrari 348

I wasn't planning to add any more to this thread but I can't help but have to comment on Mako's comments. For you to say the 348 is "no competition" to your beloved NSX is a very ignorant statement. Obviously, you failed to comprehend or acknowledge any of the costructive discussions on this thread regarding the differences between both cars. I respect healthy debates backed by sound reasoning but cannot respect absolute statements without a rational foundation. I would like very to see the article that you refer to. The main point to take out of this whole discussion is that there is no absolute better car between the two but merely preferences between the two for whatever reasons.

Btw, your opinions will be better respected if you avoid personal barbs and stick to talking about the cars.

Originally posted by AsianBond:
there is no absolute better car between the two but merely preferences between the two for whatever reasons.

In 1991, when the 348 was on the market, Motor Trend called the NSX "the best sports car in the world - any time, any place, any price".

I haven't been on this board a long time, but from what I observed from members of these forums, if there is a car that's better than the NSX, we'll give it credit. Look at all the other threads on this forum where owners are unhappy about how newer cars are starting to leave the NSX is the dust. If we were that closed-minded like you seem to suggest, that type of thread would not even exist. The fact is, I can cite many articles and tests that say the NSX is better than the 348. All u can cite is ur personal opinion about what car is better. Alot of NSX owners here have cited many magazine tests. I posted earlier on this thread a head to head comparison test between the '91 348 and '91 NSX and the NSX wins in every department except in lateral G's (.91 vs .90, hardly anything noticeable). R&T said that it was the better car! Now, I still haven't come across any magazine article that says the 348 is superior than the NSX, but I have seen a handful for the converse. To say that we are biased when some owners quote facts from magazines, which are supposed to be the most unbiased way for car comparisons, really shows how biased you are. Go to my earlier post and order that book and read one of the test for urself. If you don't agree write to the editors of Motor Trend, Road & Track, Car & Driver, etc. Complain to them why you feel the 348 is better. Stop "complaining" to us. (Oh by the way, I'm from HK as well, I was rasied there near Cloud View Road close to North Point.)

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 18 June 2002).]

In response to AsianBond,

My primary car is an Acura RL and not a Mercedes or BMW. My second car is an NSX. The RL satisfies my need as a daily commuter.
(Before the RL, I drove an Integra).

To me, the BMWs and Mercedes don't drive any better. In my opinion, the RL rides just as nice as those cars. My dad's 00 TL has a ride just as solid as my sister's 02 530. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Sure the BMW has an nicer interior and maybe handles better in the curves, but in normal everyday driving, I can't feel the difference.

I chose the NSX because I wanted something fun to drive while still being extremely reliable and inexpensive to maintain.

If Ferrari can make cars as reliable as the NSX, I would definitely consider it.

Enjoy the 348.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 18 June 2002).]

I don't understand why everyone is knocking everyone else's car. They are completely 2 different cars. How many of you that have knocked Ferraris have actually been driven in one, let alone drive one or even own one? I have 2 Ferraris (355 and TR) for about 5 years now and everyone keeps asking me if I spet a fortune on them. The truth of the matter is I have spent about $5,000 on them since I had them. Who's to say I have to bring it to a Ferrari dealer where they gouge you when I can get the same exact service done for 1/4 of the cost? I am not knocking the NSX either as you can see I have one of those as well. They are absolute fun cars to drive in their own way. What you read in these magazines, are cars being tested to their limits. How many of you actually drive that way? I definitely don't. Ferrari knew that the NSX was superior to the 348 and that is why they made the 355. When I go to my garage and feel like taking a pleasure cruise I don't take either. I love the Lotus. To me that is just a pocket rocket made for the street. And before anyone starts to put it down I would be more than glad to take you for a ride.

But as you said, this is an NSX site and peple are biased towards the NSX, but what kind of world would we live in if everyone was the same and had no opinions? Would be dull.

I wish it were an Elise, but none are allowed here yet. No, I have a limited edition v8 twin turbo called the sport350

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
I wish it were an Elise, but none are allowed here yet. No, I have a limited edition v8 twin turbo called the sport350

Much as I hate to continue this thread that is a slight mis-statement: The only officially imported ones are track cars but Sun International offer a conversion kit to put a 4cyl Honda motor in the Elise, complete with wiring harness adapter, etc. They estimate the total cost at about $55K.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Originally posted by lemansnsx:
offer a conversion kit to put a 4cyl Honda motor in the Elise, complete with wiring harness adapter, etc. They estimate the total cost at about $55K.

I think that engine is from the Integra Type-R. (195HP). The output is quite a bit higher than the engine they use over sees. I remember reading about it in a magazine and it was very quick! It would be a really fun car.

PS. Bill92nsx.. what do you do for a living? I think I need to switch jobs
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 18 June 2002).]

Cmon guys, why are we arguing?????

If I had enough money I would have a 10 car garage with all the great cars, Ferraris, Lambos, Porches, Viper, and of course the NSX.

After reading this entertaining thread, some of us need to chill out. So what is better beef or chicken??? Pepsi or Coke???
Kobe Bryant prefers Sprite!!!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by gomaidy:
Cmon guys, why are we arguing?????

Because AsianBond is talking smack about the NSX when compared to a 348, when in fact the NSX is demonstrably better than a 348 in nearly every category.

If I had enough money I would have a 10 car garage with all the great cars, Ferraris, Lambos, Porches, Viper, and of course the NSX.

Sure. If I had a boatload of money I'd have a ten car garage, too. But I wouldn't have a 348 in there. (I would, however, have a 360
smile.gif
.)

-Bob

Asianbond -- from ferrarichat.com "I owned a NSX prior to buying the 348C and been on the www.NSXprime.com site sharing how I much prefer the true supercar feel of the 348C over the NSX. Based on the responses I got you would think the NSX was the holy grail of supercars. I can't believe how closed minded those guys are. Now if they only know and experienced what we have........too bad for them, they'll never know..... "

I think you should stay on ferrari chat. You have nothing worthwhile to say to us. Enjoy your ferrari, and your first 10K repair bill.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 19 June 2002).]

The R&T article from June '99 is a classic, the NSX comes in second place by one point. R&T never invited the NSX back to future handing tests, which is one reason I think the magazine's "opinions" aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

I think the reason why many believe the repair costs are expensive is because we get them from Ferrari dealers. If you have an independent shop do the work or you do it yourself, I'm sure you'll save a lot.

So far, I've spent very little on my NSX.

Synthetic Oil ($3.94/Qt) x5.3
NSX Oil Filter and Washer ($8.99 at dealer)
Coolant change ($23 for 2 gallons I think).
Fuel Filter ($50, I believe)
Air Filter ($50)

Dad is a Honda mechanic so no labor costs.
Until my first timing belt change or water pump, I'll be lucky to break $200 on service
this year.

Something funny happened yesterday. I met a person who traded his 348 for an NSX and he said it was the best decision he ever made. Kinda puts a twist on AsianBond's argument doesn't it? Oh wait! I found Jerry Hill's write up on his trade as well:
http://www.nexttestdrive.net/jhillNSX.html

I guess that makes 2 people that I know of that traded their 348 for the NSX with no regrets.

AsianBond, I do not doubt one bit that the 348 that you have is better than the NSX "automatic" you tested. However, what you are trying to tell us is that because the 348 that u have now is better than the NSX u tested, u think all NSX's are inferior to the 348 which is not true. There is a mountain of articles and factual data that 100% refutes ur claim. Can't there be a possibility that u were driving a very well maintained 348 and the NSX was abused and lost some of its performance? With articles I've read and talking to ex-ferrari owners turned NSX owners, I think that might just be the case. Anyways, good luck and maybe we'll cross paths in Hong Kong.

Ryan

Jim- I consider an individual close minded when they speak on a topic with pre-determined conclusion yet do not possess a rational foundation for such statements. Out of this whole thread I can only conclude that 4 individuals had actually driven both a NSX and ferrari, that is Blackjack, Lud, Bill92NSx, VegasNSX.

Blackjack called the 348 crap because it was in the garage 80% of the time, so I assume reliability and cost of repairs was his main gripes, however he did not specify what other areas were the 348 much weaker than the NSX (i.e. handling, speed, braking, feel). In fact he stated the 348 was marginally quicker than the NSX. I respect his opinion because he owned both and for whatever his reasons are he prefers the NSX.

Bill92nsx-owned a 355 and stated that the F-cars are fine cars albeit different from a NSX, a very fair statement.

Lud-said he driven f-cars and respected them but they weren't his cup of tea.

VegasNSX-had a 360, liked driving it too much and traded for a NSX.

Besides those individuals I cannot conclude that any other authors on this thread have driven a 348 or F-car for that matter, and if they did, they neglected to state the specific areas where the 348 is much inferior to the NSX. The only main reason the majority of individuals can put forth is maintenace cost, and surely this is all heresay and speculation on potential future repair bills. This is what they heard what other f-car owners have paid yet have never gone through the experience themselves (except for Blackjack, who knows, maybe he was unlucky and got a bad one?). Bill92NSX said it wasn't as bad as people think and I have been lucky to date. Besides I believe if you can afford a f-car maintenance cost is not a huge issue.

Otherwise everyone else is hawking on what magazine test and stats are saying to come to the conclusion that the NSX is a better car. I feel magazine comparison stats are more applciable when you drive the car to 9/10 of its limits, its not that important for everyday driving. Who can really tell if one car gets to 60 in 3/10 of a second faster. If that was the case then the Corvette should be the best car since it usually has the best stats, but I don't hear you guys saying the Vette is the best car. You will probably say "yeah the vette is better on paper but in the real world, the driving feel is more important" That's my exact point, until you guys have driven a f-car and experience it, everything else you say is conjecture. It's like NASA scientist arguing with astronuats on how the space should be even though they have never been to space. Drive a f-car then laid out why the NSX is a much better car and why the 348 is NO competition.

In addition, I never said the 348 was a better car than the NSX, I did say I prefer the 348 because it provided me with a more supercar feel.

So Jim, to put it bluntly, closed minded people are people who talk trash without really knowing what they are talking about. What I did was described my actual experience and the reasons for my conclusions.

Well, Well, Well....

Take a look at the latest post to AsianBond on the Ferrari board with regards to 348 performance vs. NSX.

"To Chis A., the 348 and 355 are vastly different and, in fact, it's probably the largest jump between Ferrari models I can think of. You took a step backwards in all around performance going from the NSX to the 348 although the 348 is a very nice car. 355 would have been a more parallel choice."

So Asianbond, enjoy your Ferrari, it is a great car! But, perhaps you may now see that we are not close minded, but perhaps giving you the truth. Doesn't mean to much, but my stock 91 toasted a 348 in a straight line on the highway.

Out of this whole thread I can only conclude that 4 individuals had actually driven both a NSX and ferrari, that is Blackjack, Lud, Bill92NSx, VegasNSX.

More "twisting of facts" from AsianBond. I guess he just wants to ignore my statement about my experiences driving the F355. Talk about "closed minded", someone who ignores all facts and opinions that he does not want to believe - our own Mr. Twister (AsianBond) is the ultimate example of closed-mindedness.

You can read my detailed comments about the F355 in the FAQ. The bottom line is that the F355 is, overall, similar to the NSX in most aspects except for price. And, compared to the F355, the 348 is a piece of... wait a minute, before ALLAN misquotes me again, I think I'll just reprise what the Ferrari folks say, which is the same idea using different words: "the 348 and 355 are vastly different and, in fact, it's probably the largest jump between Ferrari models I can think of. You took a step backwards in all around performance going from the NSX to the 348 although the 348 is a very nice car. 355 would have been a more parallel choice."

Of course, AsianBond probably thinks all the folks on the Ferrari board are closed-minded idiots, and will do his best to ignore their opinions, too.
rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 19 June 2002).]

Ryry210- I don't mean to launch any personal attacks but I believe this is a prime example of close mindness when you read only what you want to read from an article. Book report time! What conclusions did Jerry Hill provide? He basically said "Performance of the NSX v. Ferrari 328 .. is stronger. Ferrari 348, depending on the driver, the NSX would be a better handiling car, but with an experienced driver in the Ferrari , the performance level would be very close." so with equivalent drivers the performance is quite similiar. Otherwise it appears the main reason he was more satisfy about owning the NSX was the lower repair and maintenance cost. You did not hear him panned the 348 as a substantially lower performing car than the NSX, in fact, he started his article by saying "When a Ferrari runs good it is one of the most satisfying machines on the road"

I do agree with your point on my owning a less than prime NSX compare to my current good running 348.

Sig-by what distance did you toast the 348? Do you realistically think with equivalent drivers a stock NSX can pull away significantly from a 348? Get real!

Netviper- so are you the class bully telling me not to play in your sand box, or are only NSX devotees who kowtow are allow on this site? You seeem to have disregarded that I bought into the NSX hype, actually bought a NSX, tried it, didn't like it, explained why, boughted something else and explained why I prefer my new purchase. That's significantly different from me being a f-car owner coming on this site and bad mouthing the NSX and never having owned one. Are you that afraid of well reasoned dissenting opinions?

NSXtasy- I apologize if I miss your comment on f-car experiences but I can't seem to find it on this thread. Nevertheless, can you laid out specific reasons from your personal experience why the "348 is crap" compare to the NSX. And have you ever driven a 348?

Now this is getting fun...keep it coming!

Ryry210- I don't mean to launch any personal attacks but I believe this is a prime example of close mindness when you read only what you want to read from an article. Book report time! What conclusions did Jerry Hill provide? He basically said "Performance of the NSX v. Ferrari 328 .. is stronger. Ferrari 348, depending on the driver, the NSX would be a better handiling car, but with an experienced driver in the Ferrari , the performance level would be very close." so with equivalent drivers the performance is quite similiar. Otherwise it appears the main reason he was more satisfy about owning the NSX was the lower repair and maintenance cost. You did not hear him panned the 348 as a substantially lower performing car than the NSX, in fact, he started his article by saying "When a Ferrari runs good it is one of the most satisfying machines on the road"

Well, how is that close minded? You started this post by saying the NSX is not as good as the 348 in terms of handling. Here is a guy that never said the 348 is better than the NSX like u did. He did say that the NSX, handling wise, is either similar or better to the 348 depending on the driver's skill, which contradicts the main point of your 1st post on this thread, does it not?

The main point is that he thinks the NSX is just as good as the 348. Saying that he feels that the Ferrari, when it runs well, is one of the most satisfying cars on the road, does not mean that the NSX is not either. He makes no mention that the NSX is not satisfying. Just because he made that statement does not mean he doesn't feel the same way about the NSX. Maybe he does or maybe he doesn't. In any case, he made no mention of it so one should not assume that either case.

I said I came across 2 people who traded their 348's in for an NSX with no regrets. That is a true statement. They didn't have any regrets. I did not say that they felt that the NSX was better performing or anything else to that effect. Everything else is what you assumed a person would do if they trade in a car for another. The fact is, not everyone will trade one car for another just based on performance. Not everyone will think the same way you do. Maybe you should think about that.

Honestly, most individuals will not be able to afford an NSX let alone a Ferrari. I have never driven a Ferrari, and the NSX that I have is an automatic. Most people can only enjoy the performance of a car by picking up a good automotive magazine and read. I know I did before my NSX purchase, and the NSX impressed me alot. If you talk about prestige, the Ferrari wins hands down. Even the most unknowledgable person will know what a Ferrari is, the NSX is more like a well kept secret. I wish I could have more 1st person insight on this subject, but I don't. The only stuff I have on this subject is my pile of old magazines and conversations with ex-Ferrari owners that currently own NSXs. Just a final thought and I'll refrain from posting on this thead ever again, is that forums is an excellent way of communicating ideas, but its done so in a vacuum so alot of words can be taken totally out of context. My posts were meant to communicate my ideas, and not try to offend anyone in anyway.

[This message has been edited by RyRy210 (edited 19 June 2002).]

Back