• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Traded in my 91 NSX for 91 Ferrari 348

Ryry210-no sweat, I wasn't offended, and it really wasn't meant as a personal attack on you, was just trying to make a point on what objective analysis is. Since a majority of users of this site own NSXs they may tend to see ONLY the positives written about the NSX thus continuing to reinforce in their own mind the superiority of the car, meanwhile, they fail to see or recognize comparable alternatives and instead launch a negative campaign as a defensive response just to reinforce their superiority.

You make an excellent point about your opinion was only based on what you read and heard from others. Meanwhile, we have guys on this site in the same shoes as you but have vocally panned the 348 as crap compared to the NSX. So if one day if you eventually will consider trading in your NSX for a f-car, who's comments will you give more credibility to? Someone who has actually own and driven both cars or guys who have never owned or driven a f-car (oh yeah, but they're read every comparison test done between the two cars? The reason why I initially posted the thread was to shared my experiences and maybe it would've been useful to someone who was considering both cars but was on the fence. Not once did I say the NSX was a bad car, I did say my NSX did not handle as well as I expected and that could have been due to problems on my specific car. Yet, you got guys who go into defcon 5 and immediately claim the 348 is "crap" and "NO competition" . I sum up my observations by concluding that I prefer the 348 and the reasons why. I know there will never be an absolute answer on this topic.

I got two suggestions:

First-Any NSX owner in Hong Kong is free to meet up with me to test drive my car and afterwards give his honest objective opinion about the car.

Second- why don't one of you 348 badmouthers (namely, NSXtasy, Netviper and Mako) go onto www.ferraichat.com and articulate in clear and convincing reasons on a new thread why the 348 is "crap" and "NO competition" compared to the NSX. Suggestion, try to come up with something new besides higher maintenance cost.....

It's time to face the truth!

The NSX is a great car, but the one thing that I don't like about it is the lack of power. Granted, that I bought the NSX last and after being used to cars with over 385hp it definitely felt slow. When I let other people test drive my NSX they tell me how quick and great the car is. Just because it is slow to me, doesn't mean it slow to everyone. I love driving the NSX it is fun as hell. Is it better than the Ferrari? I can't honestly answer that. They both have their ups and downs but that doesn't make any one better than the other. Which car do I prefer? The Ferrari, but that's because it has been a childhood dream of mine. As for the members on this board none of them seem to be closeminded, they are just misinformed. As I have stated before you do NOT have to take your car to the dealer to get it repaired, as most of you don't take your NSX to the dealer to get charged 5X the amount it would cost from an independent mechanic.

Asianbond, you are just trolling these boards looking to incite a flame war. What is the purpose of this argument that you've started? Do you want to prove to everyone how much better a Ferrari is to the NSX? If that is the case, why do you feel the need to do so? Are you that insecure that you have to prove to everyone how superior your car is? You’ve formed an opinion that the 348 is better then the NSX. Fine, we respect your opinion, you have that right. But when you begin to challenge other people’s opinions just because they disagree with you, that’s where people get upset. People are allowed to form their own opinions . Just because they don’t see it your way, doesn’t mean that they’re wrong. There is a reason why NSX owners will not go to the Ferrarichat board and make claims how much better the NSX is. It’s because people on this board respect Ferrari’s as well as their NSX’s and do not feel the need to have to prove anything.

You are actually the type of Ferrari owner that most Ferrari owners despise. You are the type of owner that adds to the Ferrari snobbery myth.

AsianBond,

Stop telling lies! You are the worst liar and bad-mouther in this entire topic.

Again, since you seem to ignore every comment that disagrees with yours, to the point that you're now repeating ALLAN's lies, I'll repeat once again:

NO ONE SAID THE 348 IS CRAP.

I SAID THE 348 IS CRAP COMPARED TO THE F355.

THAT'S ***NOT*** THE SAME THING. SO STOP MISQUOTING PEOPLE AND LYING ABOUT THEIR WORDS TO MAKE YOUR POINT.

The F355 is worlds better than the 348. Just as those on the Ferrari board have pointed out to you. In fact, the difference between the F355 and the 348 is far greater than the difference between the 360 and the F355, the 348 and the 328, or the 328 and the 308.

Try telling the truth, and try being open-minded. For a change.
rolleyes.gif

AsianBond,

What did or do you REALLY expect?

You come onto a NSX enthusiast forum after selling your NSX after less than a month and you replaced it with a car that nearly all would agree (not just here but in nearly every car magazine as well) is the lesser vehicle (marque and mystique notwithstanding).

And even IF the prevailing logic was that the 348 was superior to the NSX, really, what are you trying to accomplish?

Probably most of the NSX enthusiasts here owned a lesser car in the past, including me. I frankly don't spend my time on those "lesser car" forums telling others how much more I like my NSX than those "lesser cars."

Enjoy your car and be done with it.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

That's a good summary Jimbo...

AsianBond,

The cross forum stuff isn't cool either man. Like I said on the FChat thread, there are lots of members of both forums and there are Ferrari owners here as well.

There's no need to turn this into some cross-forum crapstorm. I'm sure that every member of this forum can name a Ferrari that they love and would love to own. It's just that the 348 isn't necessarily everyone's cup of tea and when you make subjective comparisons between the 348 and the NSX, you invite debate.

Allan,

Search for cost of ownership on the Ferrari forum and see what you find. That's what I did when I had considered getting an F car and that's what made me realize that I can't afford to own one.

How about this for a deal? I'll sell my NSX and pick up a 355. Ill drive it just the way I would my NSX (same mileage). If the repair costs escalate way beyond normal levels (heading towards the $6k/year area), you pay for em? Deal?
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 19 June 2002).]

NSXtasy-please explain why the 348 is crap compare to the 355, and even is that is the case why is the 348 inferior to the NSX?

Speedaddict-I only asked those who trashed the 348 the specific reasons why they felt that way.

Jimbo-I expected to receive different opinions. I only continued the thread because of claims that I thought were outrageous. Didn't expect to nor desired to convert NSXers to change to f-cars. Was only sharing an experience that I thought others would be interested in reading.

Since it seems like some heated individuals would rather I clam up and quietly disappear, no sweat, it's done. But really, some folks take this stuff too personal, chill out.

Some last parting words, the point I made about close mindness does not solely apply to only discussing cars, it should apply to one's outlook toward every facet of society.

'Nuff said.

AsianBond,

Let's look at it this way...

You divorced your wife, got remarried, and instead of enjoying your honeymoon you've decided to hang out with your ex-wife's parents just to tell them how much more you like your new wife.

It's bad form dude. Time to move on.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

ok, gotta have some fun; 'piece of crap, piece of crap, great big piece of crap' (compared to other ferraris).
smile.gif

seriously, AsianBond, good luck with your car. i like em too, just chose the nsx over the f.

i do want to relay that i chose Not to go your way based on talking to several high-end dealers who all recommended the nsx. their advice was that the nsx was the best deal and that the ferraris were a risky proposition when it came to quality. not my words, theirs. they also thought that the nsx was the best deal for the money. i countered that with the 'money no object' what would you choose question. and, again, they talked about ferrari's being 'tempermental'.

i hope your ferrari avoids any of the alleged 'quality'/'tempermental' issues.

enjoy your beautiful car!!!

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
AsianBond,

Stop telling lies! You are the worst liar and bad-mouther in this entire topic.

Again, since you seem to ignore every comment that disagrees with yours, to the point that you're now repeating ALLAN's lies, I'll repeat once again:

NO ONE SAID THE 348 IS CRAP.

I SAID THE 348 IS CRAP COMPARED TO THE F355.

THAT'S ***NOT*** THE SAME THING. SO STOP MISQUOTING PEOPLE AND LYING ABOUT THEIR WORDS TO MAKE YOUR POINT.

The F355 is worlds better than the 348. Just as those on the Ferrari board have pointed out to you. In fact, the difference between the F355 and the 348 is far greater than the difference between the 360 and the F355, the 348 and the 328, or the 328 and the 308.

Try telling the truth, and try being open-minded. For a change.
rolleyes.gif

I have your back Ken And I totally agree with you.

Why do I have to endlessly repeat myself to you Asian..."Bond" (ROFL!)

Let me now go to the top of the mountaintop, shout it with all of my breath, for all the heavens to hear:

LUCA MONTEZEMOLO, THE PRESIDENT OF FERRARI FOR THE PAST DECADE, called the 348 the "worst car Ferrari had made up to that point" shortly after the introduction of the 355.

Yup it stings like a bitch, I know. But look it up. Cut and paste this quote into a Ferrarichat.com thread. Do whatever.

But PLEASE, for god's sakes, PLEASE, get your head out of your proverbial posterior when it comes to the "status" of your new car in relation to a machine that blows it away in every single category that sports cars are judged by - the NSX. Hell a 97+ NSX will throw down with a damn 355 all the way up to their top speeds, that's how strong the 3.2L cars are.

And let me tell you something else, I've read FerrariChat.com for over a year and a half now almost daily, and the one thing I've learned in that time is that 95% of the people that post there own an F-car that I wouldn't even LOOK at on the street, let alone buy: the craptacular 308.

In other words don't kid yourself thinking that Donald-friggin-Trump is hob knobbing with you over there saying "Yeah that 348 is quite a machine" while he sips on some Cognac. Quite the contrary. With the exception of Tim (F40) and a very few other wealthy owners that are bored enough to post their thoughts on a mundane internet message board, most of the FerrariChatters can BARELY afford to throw down the 30K for a decent 308!

The point of this lecture? They may be blowing allllll kinds of sunshine up your a$$ on that board about how smart you are to have gotten such a "fabulous" car as the 348 etc, etc, but the truth is that most of them have never owned anything beyond a 308, let alone a 355/360.

I personally looked at a white 1994 348 Spyder last year at a local exotic dealer and was amazed at how poorly it felt and drove, especially considering that it was a $65K car. A $65K 2000 NSX-T is a far more visceral and "explosive" sports car than the 348 I drove, that's for damn sure. That 5-speed transmission made a friend and I literally laugh out loud that day, it was as archaic and pathetic as every magazine article we’ve ever read on the F-cars said it would be.

Finally, Ferrari made dozens of medium to large scale changes to the 348 line during its lifetime to the point were FORZA magazine issues a blatant warning in their annually published pre-owned 348 guide: Buy nothing older than a 1993. To do otherwise is to risk hundreds if not thousands of hours with the car on a lift, which at $175/hour labor rates is not cheap.

I've had enough of this thread, enough of a pre-pubescent sports car owner like AsianBond (what are you dude like 22?) lecturing us all about the 348 and its virtues. In my book if you own any F-car prior to a 355, then you don't own a real Ferrari, with the exception of a good late model 512TR and of course the 288 GTO and F40.

All the 308/328/348 fanboys can live in whatever fantasyland they choose, but for sane people the fact is that their car is nothing in comparison to a generic C5 Covette, let alone a late model NSX.

Nuff said.

Mako, you're a bit out of line there. So you are telling me that any car before a 355 is really junk. Tell that to the owner of an original GTO (worth about 7 million). Just kidding. I used to own a 308 and was going to buy one but instead I bought the NSX. That does not mean that the 308 is junk because it's not. It's one of the most beautiful designs ever made and I will own one again. As for the gear changing I actually prefer the gaited box. What's with all this Ferrari bashing? Hell, there wouldn't be an NSX if there was no Ferrari. Mako, how can you can you conclude that the 348 was crap when all you did was test drive it? First of all it's a convertible, so it won't handle like a coupe. I too drove a few NSXs before I sttled for this one and they all drove like crap, twisting, flexing, creaking, rattling. I settled for a 92 because of the deletion of the targa. I do not listen to what most of these mags have to say about cars because that is just their opinion in most cases. According to these mags my 95 355 is also crap, (too many problems with valves and other stuff as well) but they do not mention that these are the most favorable engines with more power and less emmissions and faster as well. I would never buy a 96 on up 355. I have not had a single problem with this car in over a year and a half and I do drive it spirited and often(over 12,000 miles). And one more thing, no one looks down on the 308 on Fchat. It is a perfect entry level car that let's you in the Ferrari mystique that is undescribable to non owners. Only an Fcar owner understands its mystique.

ok guys its 4:20am right now, I just had some drinks. This thread is getting more and more intresting.

Jimbo always sums it up the best. NSXtasy is the king of magazine quotes, Allan's Lambo is the ultimate ride, while Asianbond is defensive regarding his new ride which is understandable.

I have driven my friends 91 F348, the only reason I would trade my NSX with a 348 is if I want the pimpin name brand Ferrari in my garage, the sweet symphony of the exhaust and if I have enough money to spend on maintaining such car. But since I track my car regularly and drive it often I would rather have the piece of mind of driving the Honda(No soul, sewing machine engine, plain Japanese Ferrari wanabee). Life is short drive the car of your dream.
biggrin.gif

Gheba his quote was "In my book if you own any F-car prior to a 355, then you don't own a real Ferrari, with the exception of a good late model 512TR and of course the 288 GTO and F40." not which car handled better. What you stated is the reason why most people buy a Ferrari, anyway. Most of the people putting down the Ferrari brand make themselves believe that their car is superior to a Ferrari (I know I used to say the same thing myself when I had a vette) but the truth of the matter is that when I bought one I completely forgot about the vette. As for people who say the NSX has no soul what planet are they from? The NSX has plenty of soul. It is not just a Honda.

I never saw this thread from all those years ago, but honestly did enjoy the necro-bump.

Oh, and that link to the Car & Driver article didn't work for me (?)

I know the author of that 34 year old article, and while he really likes the NSX, especially the early manual steering cars, he owns a 360.
Wow! Tell your friend thank you for writing this article! That is one I remember fondly from my youth. Having watched Magnum PI through the 1980's I was in love with the 308s/328s and highly anticipated the Ferrari 348. I remember being shocked by how low the Ferrari 348 was rated by comparison. Naturally being 18 at the time I had never driven a Ferrari or anything remotely close. My Dad had only Oldsmobile's and Chey's of the 1980/90s vintage. This article put Honda/Acura on my radar. Also I remember one of my friend's Dad bought an Acura Legend - manual. We loved that car. The difference between that Legend and a Cutlass at the time - it was like they were from 2 different planets. So, thank you to your friend that was a great article and one of the influences that made me a Honda/Acura fan.

Back