• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Translating Japanese NSX material to English

For many years I've wished I could read a lot of NSX material published in Japanese. It recently occurred to me that others probably shared my desire to be able to read this stuff. Professional translation is pretty expensive so it's not really feasible for people to hire a translator for their own use... But I wonder if there is enough interest that we could "crowd source" the funding.

My basic idea for how this might work is this:

1. The community could vote on what we wanted translated next.
2. I'd get a quote on the cost and start a donation thread and collect the money.
3. Once we hit the fundraising goal I'd hire the translator.
4. When the translator was done, the translation would be posted on the site for everyone to enjoy.

To give a concrete example, I got a quote on translating the NSX Press 10th Anniversary Special http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/press/tenth_anniversary.htm

The cost for a complete professional translation by someone who specializes in automotive material and who came highly recommended is $2,540. This is a lot of money. I am pretty confident we can raise that much (50 people kicking in 50 bucks seems achievable) but it's expensive enough that we'd probably want to pay a lot of attention to the process of selecting which documents to translate.

So I'd like to get some feedback..

Would you be interested enough in getting some of this material translated to contribute some money to the effort?

Do you think this is a good system to do that? Do you have suggestions of how to make it better?

Which documents would you most like to see translated?

Re: Crowd-sourced funding for translating Japanese NSX material to English

Why don't we just ask our Japanese speaking members to translate this for us? I don't think we need a professional translation by someone specializes in automotive material to do this, I will be happy with anything at all.

Why don't we just ask our Japanese speaking members to translate this for us? I don't think we need a professional translation by someone specializes in automotive material to do this, I will be happy with anything at all.

That seems like a bit of an imposition to me. It would be a substantial on-going project. If someone wants to volunteer that is great, but since it hasn't happened yet I decided to try a different route.

Maybe we can have users do a "ballpark" translation so we know if something is worthwhile to get "professionally" done...

What are the copyright implications on this anyway? (just wondering)

Maybe we can have users do a "ballpark" translation so we know if something is worthwhile to get "professionally" done...

Scan document with Japanese character recognition software then use google translate?

Or perhaps look into getting a Manga translator. Not exactly the same field of work tho.

I know some friends that do this (along with other translation stuff) If someone wants to send me some stuff (.pdf or whatever) I'll see what I can get out of them.

PM me

I have always wanted to have all NSX-related Best Motoring videos translated. Maybe we can all pitch in $ and ask Zigzag Asia to do it for the NSXCA/Prime community?

Guys there is a new APP that you can take a snap shot of any language
and hit the translate button and it will translate the snap shot

no BATMANs its an app for your phone its part of the BING app.

it can translate bar codes text pictures etc. from any language

Back